The Junior Deputy U.S. Marshals. 7 in STOPWATCH - Cover

The Junior Deputy U.S. Marshals. 7 in STOPWATCH

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 10

Everyone turned to look at Bill.

"Let me explain," said Bill, red-faced. "I didn't know this would work. I just did what my sister does."

"Bill," said Violet. "Your sister doesn't call me out loud. Ever since I saved her life, I've had a mental connection with her. All she needs to do is think she needs help and I'm there. You, on the other hand, don't believe in the Powers that Be ... well, maybe one of them ... and, I'll admit ... I'm not sure you believe in that one since you don't follow his rules."

"I do the best I can."

"No, Bill. You don't. You're like most professors of faith ... you do the least you can. Let's take your lottery win. Did you tithe?"

"Err..." erred Bill.

"Tithing is one of the rules in his book." Violet continued, "have you helped the widows and orphans?"

"Err..." He did it again.

"Relieving the suffering of widows and orphans is in his book. Those are two of the simplest rules and you've done neither. Sorry, Bill ... and you are ... but ... I'm here, I guess I need to know what you want."

"I need a bigger airplane." 'Finally, she's getting off my case, ' thought Bill.

"What on earth for?"

"The Pioneer only seats five. With a Twin Pioneer I could excursion more of us."

"Use the watch."

"When I press the stem winder, the watch returns me to where I was when I wound it."

"You mean... ?"

"If I wind it in the air, I'd better be in the plane when I time it back to my present."

"Bill ... you're an idiot."

"We've established that ages ago ... why this time?"

"The watches need to be owned by women. Mina was supposed to get the one you're carrying. How did you ... never mind ... I just looked." Violet was exasperated. "Bill, the watch was in the bank bag. Did Bonnie hand you the bag?"

"Ah ... no ... she handed the bag to Mina."

"Ever wonder why?"

"Mina was closer to the road?"

"Think about it."

"Oh, I remember ... I was first in line but, the car stopped next to Mina."

"There ya go ... it's Mina's watch and you aren't supposed to have it. You have usurped the Powers that Be. As Gomer said, 'Fer shame, fer shame, fer shame, Sergeant Carter.' Only it's Bill Sutherland, not Carter. What are you going to do about it?"

"Aaaarrrggghhh!" exclaimed Bill.

"Don't want to give it up, do you?"

"It's handy."

"William Sutherland ... you have eleven million, seven hundred fifty thousand dollars deposited to your bank once a year ... what more could you ask for?"

"More ... it's not enough to scratch my itch."

"So ... Go ... go gold mining, go win another lottery ... go time it to the past and collect national treasures that are being destroyed every day." Violet was getting wound up. "I was so proud of you when you answered your country's call ... until I found out it was an accident." She sighed, "Bill, go walk in the woods. I need to talk to these people."

These people were aghast. Bill wasn't standing in good stead.

"Folks, Bill isn't supposed to be here ... I'm sorry, E'veen, you know it's so. Jake, the Powers that Be have discussed this with your guy. He's not at all happy Bill and E'veen are here, either.

"I need to get Bill and, you, E'veen, out of here and back ahead where you both belong.

"By the way, E'veen, you're a hero. Ah, that got a look. Your gun handling course in Vegas has already born fruit. Tommy Edwards has come up with a modern combat course.

"He ran double lines with a switch to the targets so they can be turned to face the trainee. This will continue until he gets the idea, and he will, to use radio control servos. The Vegas police are using the range and the FBI is working on their own version. Congratulations."

Violet smiled at E'veen, "another thing. The word has gotten around that there are showgirls in Vegas who are armed ... but nobody is sure who is and who isn't. That little act of kindness has practically stopped rapes on the Strip.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.