Worel - Cover

Worel

Copyright© 2012 by JAMES HEART

Chapter 20

In the next ten minutes, two more Jimworl cruisers emerged from warp drive. Seconds later the Frezonee sensors detected a bright flash.

Hechee's first officer, Holdeen, offered his assessment, "That flash was a nuclear explosion. It is possible that our probe set off a mine. Unfortunately we don't know whether the mine was a fission bomb or an anti-matter bomb."

The first officer continued his thoughts, "Captain, I have been timing the arrival of the Jimworl cruisers. They are exiting warp drive at exactly five minute intervals."

Hechee mused "So they are offering us a splendid opportunity to engage them. Does anyone believe that the Jimworl have set trap? The cruisers we destroyed earlier sorely lacked military tactics."

"They are exiting warp drive at predictable intervals. My guess is that they have some sort of navigational problem that causes them to travel in a single file. I believe that we should engage them before they all get here."

Hechee gave his orders. "Helmsman Take us to a position five light seconds from the Jimworl fleet. I want to get a look at their deployment, and then we will engage them.


The acting commander of the Jimworl fleet asked his first officer for his assessment of the enemy Frezonee ship.

"Captain Wilson, I see only one ship. She is small, and her reactor output is less than ours. She is armed with phasors like us. I cannot see how she can have as much firepower as we do. Depending on when she attacks, at least six of us will have exited warp drive.

She attacked our home planet with missiles armed with nuclear warheads. But the small scout ship cannot have many missiles in reserve. And unlike Worlco, we can out run missiles. I recommend that we commit all of our cruisers and attack her."

Wilson was a cautious person. But one can be cautious and execute a bold plan. "We will wait here. Set our smart mines to go active when the Frezonee get into range. Be certain that the coordinates of all the mines are programmed into all ship navigation systems.

If the Frezonee concentrate on one cruiser, I want that cruiser to retreat directly away from the Frezonee. Everyone else move to envelope the attacker. We will block his escape."


Hechee exited warp drive five light seconds from the Jimworl cruisers. Hechee's first officer gave his assessment.

"Captain they have placed mines out to one light second from the point where they have been exiting warp drive. I detect no magnetic fields around the mines. That indicates that the mines are not anti-matter bombs. Our scanners can only see two of them, and they are well shielded. When we destroy them with phasors, we will have a better idea of their composition. I would guess that we face both active and passive mines. If there are active mines, they will be rocket propelled. Captain, there are now six Jimworl cruisers. A seventh cruiser is due in sixty-seven seconds."

Hechee gave the situation some thought. "We are going to target the ships as they exit warp drive. But we will begin with the closest ship to that exit point. Helm, on my command get us in range. We will kill the Jimworl like sitting ducks as they exit warp drive. The mines will not be a problem. Since they will not yield a nuclear explosion when we destroy them with our phasors, we have some latitude about how close we let them get to us."

"Holdeen, you will man the scanners. Look for mines. You may direct phasor fire at the mines, as you deem advisable. I will keep track of Jimworl cruiser movement."

"Jonesee, you man the port weapons. Jessee, I want you to man the starboard weapons. We have a hundred kilometer greater effective range than the Jimworl. When you have a target you may fire at will.

Engineering, we will be firing our phasors constantly. Warn the bridge if anything overheats or breaks. We will need to use our antimatter stores to power our phasors. This battle is going to be intense.

Helm, take us into phasor range. Engage fifty percent impulse power."

The Frezonee were well out of range when the Jimworl began firing phasors.

Holdeen noted, "Scanners have found five mines. I have marked their locations. I believe the Frezonee are firing their phasors in an ineffective manner, to hide their mines."

Navigation announced, "We will be in phasor range of the first Jimworl ship in ten seconds."

Hechee watched the Frezonee begin to move to envelope him.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.