Circles

by R. J. Richards

Copyright© 2012 by R. J. Richards

Science Fiction Story: Everything in the universe goes in circles as the reader will find out. It doesn't matter if it's a life cycle, or the cosmos, or...

Tags: Science Fiction   Sci-fi Story

Cassandra looked into the livingroom where her husband sat watching TV, and in her sweetest voice asked, "Honey, could you go to the store and get some cinnamon and eggs?"

"Yeah, just a minute. I'll go as soon as this show is over."

Cassandra shook her head, causing her short, dark brown hair to swirl about her round face, and shrugging her shoulders she replied in a sing song voice, "OK, but it's you who wanted me to bake that pie for desert tonight!"

"Yeah I know, but the show will be over soon, and I'll get it then." Adrian sat in his chair, and didn't bother to even look back at his wife when he spoke. But why should he? She knew he was watching TV.

"What are you watching that's so important anyway?" This time, Cassandra couldn't quite keep the exasperation out of her voice. It wasn't that Adrian was lazy. After all, he worked hard and was a good provider, but trying to get him to do something around the house was entirely a different matter.

"It's a special about that big earthquake and tsunami that hit the islands the other day.

"Oh, that's real important! It's a good thing I don't need you to get me some medicine or anything like that!"

This time, Adrian did turn his head. "Why do you always say things like that?"

Cassandra put her hands on her hips, and standing her ground she said, "Because it's always 'just a minute' with you! You never just say, 'OK. I'll get it, ' and then get up and go."

"That's because you're always asking me to do things for you when I'm in the middle of something else!" Adrian tried to keep his rising anger out of his voice, but it did go up a slight notch in spite of his efforts.

"And when are you not in the middle of something? If it's not some science show, it's a ballgame, and if it's not a ballgame you're out there doing something with the car."

"Well what do you want me to do? Just wait around twiddling my thumbs until you need me for something?" Adrian was a good looking guy with dark hair, dark features and a nice strong frame. He could have just about any woman he wanted, but he loved Cassandra almost from the beginning. Even now, with his temper flaring he knew he'd never be happy with anyone else. "If only she'd quit bitching at me all the time!" he thought.

"No, I just want you to be a little more responsive to me sometimes. Sheesh! All I asked was for you to go to the store to get a couple of things so I could make your pie!"

"And I will! As soon as this show is over."

Cassandra rolled her eyes. "Why does it seem that all of our arguments end up in circles? We always wind up right back where we started from."

"Because they do. Everything goes in circles you know. Think about it. You start out not having much money, and then when you finally get ahead something happens and you wind up back where you started. We're born, grow old, and when we die another baby is born to continue the cycle. Countries and whole civilizations are the same way. They start out as practically nothing, grow powerful only to slip back into chaos before fading back into nothing.

"Even tornadoes and hurricanes twist around in circles. The moon circles around the earth, the earth around the sun, and even they are circles themselves! Hell, even the galaxy is twisting around in one great big cosmic circle. Don't you know? The whole damned universe is based on one huge circle!"

 
There is more of this story...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.