The Escape
Chapter 38

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

We finished eating and the kids took off with Sarah to help her do her chores. I must have gotten a funny look on my face or something 'cause Brenda was quick to speak up as she got up too.

"She volunteered to help with dishes and cleanup along with Shelly and the other kids. I saw that look and no, she isn't being made to do anything. All the kids volunteer for anything they can do to help out to make it easier on the ladies who do most of the work back there. Believe me when I say they all appreciate it, including myself. Thom, none of our children are made to do anything; we ask for volunteers every day. What you said about the older kids tonight was way beyond what they expected, and I have a feeling they will all be extra watchful from now on. They all try to do everything they can to help, and all the parents are proud of their efforts. Sarah has jumped in just like the rest, and we all have special feelings for her because of what happened. Now if you all are done, why don't you go outside for a smoke while we poor women clean up after you?"

She grinned at me and I sighed as I got up. I got a refill on my coffee and headed outside to have a smoke, followed by the rest of the men. I got my pipe going, and Zeke asked me a question that made me choke as I was inhaling.

"Thom, what the hell is a 'Hydra'?"

I looked over at BK and he looked as puzzled as Barry at the question.

"Where did you see that, Zeke?"

"One of the destroyed trucks had four crates of them in the back. They were pretty much destroyed but several in the bottom of the crates were intact. Here is the list with all the serial numbers of them, and the weapons we found. Most of the rifles were junk, but there were about twenty crates of filled mags for them spread out among several of the destroyed trucks. The one the leader was driving was full of extra of what I thought were M-16's but they don't look right to me. They are shorter and most of them had grenade launchers attached to them; but we didn't find any grenades in any of the trucks. Thom, what the hell is going on? Where would they get their hands on better rifles than we were given?"

I took a deep breath and looked all of them in the eyes before I spoke. I explained about the slave camp and what plans were in the works, but I cautioned them to tell no one, not even their wives about what I was telling them. I asked BK if he found many good rifles, and he said some. He thought he could get at least twenty of them in working order, but the rest were trashed.

"Zeke, I will answer your questions tomorrow if that's ok. I need to get on the radio and have a little talk with Kittrick. I will tell you that the Hydra is a missile that could have destroyed this school, if they had had a chance to use any of them. Fellas, we all need to have a sit down tomorrow among ourselves after I talk to the Fort. I don't know what the hell is going on, but everything you described had to have come from there, because it is for Active Duty Issue only. This has me worried as hell and I will be the first one to admit it. Let's move all that stuff back by the armory before we help ourselves to any of it. I want to see what Kittrick has to say. Put it all on one truck, cover it up, and tell the guards on the roof to keep everyone away from it for now."

I didn't say anything more, just knocked the doddle out of my pipe and headed inside. I went straight to the radio room and told Sandy to get me the Fort. When he got through, I asked for Kittrick telling the operator who I was. He said the Colonel was just outside, waiting to see if I would call in. When he got on, he started talking before I could say anything.

"Marshal, how bad are your wounded and did you get a body count on those raiders?"

"We had three wounded; two grazed and one through and through, and he will be fine. We counted the raiders we could find in the dark and the count was thirty eight dead with no survivors. We gathered all the weapons and ammo we could find but will recheck tomorrow. Colonel, do you have an armorer that you know personally and can trust without any doubts?"

"Yeah, as a matter of fact I do, but why would you need him?"

"Well, since we are on an open mike I would prefer not to answer that at this time. Can you have Puddles transport him over here tomorrow morning first thing? I think he might be interested in what we have found here. That's all I can say at this time, Colonel."

"I think that can be arranged and now you have my curiosity aroused as well. Oh, and our friends are due in the day after tomorrow so look for them around 0900 with their equipment and transportation. Kittrick out!"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.