The Escape
Chapter 37

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

I wearily climbed out of my unit and walked in the front door. I hadn't taken two steps inside when Sarah handed me a cup of coffee with a worried look on her little face.

"Are you ok, Pops?"

"I am fine, sweetie; I just need to sit down for a little bit as soon as I check on our wounded men."

"They are all in the little nurse's room over there. Shelly told me they all would be fine other than being sore for a few days. Pops, did you get rid of all the bad men?"

"Yes, honey, they won't bother us again. Now will you give me a hug and tell Brenda we will start the meeting in a half an hour?"

I got my hug that almost broke my neck and a whispered comment that I needed a shower 'cause I smelled like the range after they all shot at targets. I gave her a kiss and a little tickle which caused her to giggle and I felt my black mood lifting when I heard it. I got a big smile as she ran looking for Brenda and I headed for the nurses room. When I got inside, two men had bandages wrapped around their head and arm and both smiled at me when they saw me come in. The other man was lying on a bed while the medic wrapped his shoulder with gauze. I was immediately thanked by the man on the table but I didn't know why. The medic finished and I had my hand shaken by all three as they went out. I asked the medic how bad they were hit and what the prognosis was.

"Marshal, two were just lightly grazed and should be fine in a few days. They will be sore and tender for about a week, but I will keep an eye on them. The shoulder wound was serious but didn't hit any bones, and as far as I can tell he should be completely healed in about a month. I told him to take it easy and not to use his arm for anything for at least a week. From what I got second hand, you saved all their lives by your quick action. I will ask for some pain pills to replace what I gave out when I make my report to the Fort later. Were they raiders or just nomads looking for a town to take over?"

"They belong to that bunch that's over in the desert that I already had problems with. Kittrick is working on it but I think he has it under control. Now, if you need anything else, let me or the Fort know. Remember, we have doctors and a hospital in Willcox and there is a life flight chopper we can use if you need to call it in. I know you are good at what you do, but there is help close by so don't hesitate to use it if you need it."

"I was briefed and I enjoy being here; the people all treat me nice and accept me. I just wish I could have gone to medical school like I planned after I got out of the service, but I guess that won't happen now. Oh well, I am needed here and as long as the Fort will let me, I plan to stay here."

"Well, I for one am damned glad to have you. I know from previous experience that medics like you are almost as good as a doctor. Now if you will excuse me, I am going to get some coffee and see if they are ready to start the meeting."

I got a big smile from her and it wasn't until I got to the coffee to refill my cup that I realized I had forgotten to ask her for her name. When I looked around, it seemed like everyone was here so I stepped up on the small podium and flicked the mic with my finger. The noise made me wince and I was looking for some way to turn it down when one of the kids yelled try it now. I flicked it again and it was a lot better, so I set my cup down and started to speak. I gave a precise account of what happened and thanked the men who were wounded for their help and again reiterated how happy I was that none of us had been hurt seriously. I then stopped and asked if anyone had any questions. Of course the first one who stood was Daryl and I braced myself.

"Marshal, do you think we will have any more trouble out of them and if we do, will it be at night again?"

"Daryl, I think we pretty much wiped out their manpower tonight. If one escaped to report, I have a big feeling they learned to leave San Simon alone 'cause it costs too much for them to try to take us over. If none made it, I expect they will send one or two to look us over to find out where their raiding party went. Either way, I doubt very much if any of that bunch bothers us again in the future. Any more questions?"

I no sooner got that out when someone started clapping and then everyone was standing and clapping. I had to smile cause I knew they were all under a lot of strain and tension. I let it go on for a couple of minutes before I motioned for all of them to sit.

"I have a few more things to say, and then if it's ok with all of you I am hungry and need some food. From the smells, I am guessing the ladies in the kitchen have out done themselves again."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.