The Escape
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

By the time I pulled out of the school lot I was as mad as I had been in years. It seemed like I made it to Zeke's in record time and from all the trucks sitting around his place, I would have an audience for what I was going to lay on him. I must have looked mad clear through 'cause when he looked at me he just motioned me inside his shop. When I walked in, about every rancher from the area was sitting around sipping beer, and all of them as far as I could tell had firearms leaning next to them or close at hand.

"Ok, Thom, what's going on? From the look on your face you're pissed about something and I bet it is with our so called Sheriff."

I didn't mince words, just repeated our conversation word for word. I told Zeke that if we did as the Sheriff planned we might as well move everything we owned to a cave somewhere that we could defend. I also told him and the rest about me being arrested if I showed up tonight. I made no bones about it and told Zeke, with all the rest of them sitting there listening, I would shoot the SOB before I would let him lock me up.

"Just calm down, Thom, we ain't gonna let him take anyone out of here for any reason. Don't worry about the Sheriff 'cause you're looking at most of his political money sitting right here in this room. We own him and he knows it. I kinda figured you and him wouldn't hit it off, regardless of what Barry thought. Now, we been talkin' and we have a plan for tonight, so don't worry about a thing. Just go home for now and show up about an hour late for the meeting and let us handle the rest. After tonight, I doubt he will be bothering us again. Don't worry, you and Barry are about the only two we trust to look out for us and I have a feeling this ain't gonna blow over anytime soon. We are workin' with Stan's son to get us some weapons in here that will help us also. He is a Major at the fort and says they have a lot of confiscated stuff that can be handed out to people like us so we can protect ourselves. We will know by tonight what we can get and I will pass it on to you and Barry after the meeting. Now go home and sit outside, and have some coffee and calm yourself. I will see you later at the meeting."

I knew I had been dismissed but didn't feel any rancor about it since these ole men were just that way, as I had learned since I moved here. I nodded at them and got back in my car and headed for the cabin. I needed to arrange the things BK had brought in so we both knew where they were at and could easily get our hands on them. I had a couple of ideas gnawing at the back of my head but couldn't bring them forward, so I just went home. The gate was wide open and BK's SUV was sitting in front of the cabin. When I pulled around back, he was coming out with two cups of coffee. I was happy he was settling in quickly 'cause I knew with him watching my back I needn't worry about anyone pulling anything. I got out of the car and sat down in the chair, while he handed me a cup of coffee.

"Well, how did it go with the Sheriff?"

When I looked at him, he grinned and said; "That good, huh?" I didn't say anything, just sipped my coffee. I could tell BK had made it as it was strong enough to float a rock in. Hell, the way he made coffee, we could make two pots with what he put in for one. Oh well, I thought, that's what Rolaids were made for and grinned to myself. I set my cup down and fired up my pipe, telling him all that had happened today. As I told the story I was still mad, but nothing like I was earlier. BK, like always, just let me get it out of my system before he said anything.

"Thom, I have lived around this area a lot of years and I do know who got the Sheriff in office. Hell, until Zeke got the ranchers together to back him, he didn't stand a chance of getting elected. Now these ole boys still think it's the 1800's and act like it too. The fact that Zeke has taken a liking to you says a lot. He is real wary around strangers and you've only lived here what, about three years or so? Your willingness to go down to the truck stop and talk to everyone and be friendly goes a long ways with the people who live around here. You can bet he pulled some strings with some of his cronies and had you checked out, so he probably knows your whole background, at least what's still in the files and on paper. Him and the other ranchers don't take to many people that move here but he seems to think pretty highly of you. If he does, you can bet the rest will be the same way as they all are longtime friends of each other. I don't know Zeke all that well, but I do know he is as smart as a whip and if he says he has a plan, then I wouldn't worry about anything happening tonight. Besides, I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. Now there's a whole pot of coffee for us to enjoy but while you do that, I am going to take my tape out and do some marking off of the ranges from the cabin to the different boulders you have so conveniently laid out for firing areas. The way you got this all laid out, it's gonna be great if we do get attacked. One way in, and one way out with all the boulders in a straight line on either side of the firing line. I just have to measure and paint the yardage on the rocks. We will see it but they won't."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.