The Escape - Cover

The Escape

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 8

When I got inside, I went immediately to the back, but there was one of my neighbors and she had the last gas can in her hand as she passed me. Well, I thought, there should be a couple of the gallon ones in the shed at BK's if I remembered right. One of them was mine, as well as a few other things I should go ahead and pick up while I was there. I had my laptop in the trunk and while I was there, if the internet was still up, I would send some e-mails out to a few friends. I especially wanted to send one to my adopted family and fill them in on everything Zeke had told me. I also had to send one out to my daughter in Ohio and fill her in the best I could, but since I had no way of getting to her I just hoped she and my granddaughter were ok.

I got there in time to see Byron taking the trailer back to the neighbors as I loaded my things and the gas can from the shed into my trunk. I got my laptop out and sat down in the seat. Yep, the internet was still working so I got busy typing out the message to Ben. I was still typing when Byron pulled up next to me. I put the laptop down and walked over to his car.

"Hey BK, you get everything hauled ok?"

"Yeah, all except my clothes and ammo which I will load in my car. I took the small freezer and that little icemaker to your place too. I put the freezer in the back corner and plugged it back in. Thom, do you know anything more about this? I tried calling my sister this morning but all I got was her voice mail."

I filled him in on everything Zeke and Barry had told me, and he thanked me and went inside with a worried look on his face. I went back to the car and finished the long email to Ben and then another one to my daughter. I was worried about Ben and his family as they were in another country and a long ways from me. I knew he was resourceful as hell and if it came to cracking heads, he would find a way to get to somewhere safe with his family. I just hoped he would steal a plane and fly back here with all of them. I hadn't heard from my daughter in several days and wondered if she was ok. From everything Zeke had told me, the east side of the country's population centers had been hit hard, and she lived in a small suburb at the edge of the capitol of the state. I had tried calling, but the lines were all tied up and I hadn't been able to get through to her. To put it bluntly, I was worried as hell, but there was nothing I could do to help her. I had just asked BK if he needed any help before I went back to the truck stop when I heard the heavy thumping of helicopters. We stood and watched as two of the big dual rotor cargo types flew over us with big nets hanging below them. I wondered what was in the nets cause from what I was told, we were only supposed to get more of the MREs for the people here. Oh well, I thought, as I waved to BK and headed out; I would find out tonight.

I pulled out and went to the main drag in town. I saw that the little store was open so I headed there. When I went inside, the owner was leaned back in a chair sound asleep with his feet propped up on the counter. I headed to the back looking for the canning jars, but all he had was several cases of pint jelly jars with lids. I grabbed a case of them and a big box of the Mexican soap powder he stocked. I actually preferred this stuff over the American brands cause the flakes inside were huge and you didn't have to use as much to wash a load of clothes. Besides, it was all natural without all the chemicals added. I dropped the jars on the counter and startled the hell out of him.

"Hell, you didn't have to do that. I was awake, Thom."

"Well, I never heard of anyone snoring while awake. You going to the meeting tonight?"

"Yeah, they sent word around they wanted everyone there who wasn't on barricade duty. Umm, can I ask you something without you saying anything to the local law?"

"You know me better than that, Harp. What we talk about has always stayed with me."

"Well, as you already know, I have a domestic conviction on my record and I am not allowed to own any guns. With what's going on, do you think I would get in trouble if I kept a couple for my own safety?"

"I don't see that happening, Harp. With martial law being declared, we are going to need every weapon we can round up to protect this town. Hell, we don't have enough for everyone as it is. If you know where some extras are stored or hidden let me know and I will make sure they are handed out to those who don't have any. Harp, your record is the least of anyone's worries right now, we will be raided for our food and if it's some scavenger group they will kill everyone they can and burn the rest. We need all the help we can get. I have heard some rumors about some of your stashes so if you have any extras we could sure use them."

"Well, I might know where there are some hidden in a cave that were supposed to go south. I don't know for sure if they are still there, but I can check if you want me to."

"You do that and as soon as possible, Harp. Let me know so we can go get them."

"Well, if they are still there, I will just go ahead and load them up and bring them in and let you know."

"That works for me. I will make sure you get the credit with the townspeople for finding them for the town's use."

"Umm, just leave my name out of it if you would. I will go out later after the meeting and see if they are still there."

"Well if they are, you load and cover them and I will check back with you first thing in the morning."

"Ok, just come to the house, I will park my truck in the yard out of sight if I get them. If my truck is on the street they weren't there."

"Works for me, Harp, and thanks. See you tonight."

I paid for my purchases and added a cold drink as I went out the door. I went to the truck stop and got a quick gallon of gas and headed back to the school. When I went inside, they had a production line going from the back double doors to the bleachers where they were stacking what looked to be MREs along the wall. The kids were doing the stacking and the adults were handing them off as they came in. I didn't bother to volunteer 'cause I knew my back wouldn't handle all the lifting and twisting. Watching them I felt a twinge in my back 'cause I had even thought about it. I grinned to myself and headed for the kitchen to see where Shelly and Mikey were, and find out if they were going with me or staying.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.