Dragon Mage - Cover

Dragon Mage

Copyright© 2012 by Dragon Mage

Chapter 5

While James was studying spells, or his girls, Sandra was busy with her own studies. She had discovered that unlike James, she needed to actually study the spells, to be able to remember them. Because of that, each spell took her longer to master. She also discovered that each spell she mastered, also increased the amount of power she could draw forth. And with the increase of power came an increase in mental and physical abilities as well. Her memory and other mental functions were expanding quite rapidly. She was slowly losing what little fat that she had. Her stamina increased dramatically as well as her endurance.

Taryn spent the second half of the day before they were to leave with James, and his other mates, shopping. She also had to pick up the new clothes she had ordered, (just in case James consented), from Mildred's shop. She liked hanging out with her new mates. And she liked the feeling she got, just from being around them. She finally felt like she was where she belonged.

Beth and Sam spent their time preparing for the journey ahead of them. They gathered together all the items they thought they would need. Most of all they spent time getting to know James and each other. Even though they had lived in the same city for a number of years they were of different schools and had spent little to no time together.

In this way two weeks passed, as James and his companions prepared to depart. James spent his time studying, and getting to know the girls in his life. He finally decided to take Taryn with them when they left. They were mated on the day before they were to leave. The whole ritual consisted of paying the proper fees to the temple and consummating the bond. This was far from what James and Sandra expected.

Once everything was ready they set out for the capital of Draconia Argos. On foot the trip would take two months or more. So they had time to train the new magi as they traveled. The first couple of days went by quickly and nothing of note happened. On the third day, about mid-day, they came to a small town. The town looked like it was about to fall down around them. As they made their way through the town James noticed they were being watched.

"There are people watching us."

"I wonder what happened to make them so frightened?" asked Sandra.

"I don't know but we should see if we can help," replied James.

"Do you really want to do that? After all this isn't any concern of ours," replied Beth.

"You should always try to help those that can't help themselves. That is what those with power are supposed to do. What good is all that power if you don't use it to help those in need?"

"I've never really thought about it like that. I've always just used my power for myself and only helped others if they paid me to do so," stated Sam.

"I was the same way. I always thought of my power as being mine and only helped others if it was for money," replied Beth.

"I'm not saying that you shouldn't get paid for your services, but if you should happen upon a situation that you can help, then it is your responsibility to do so. If not then we are no better than those that would do harm to the innocent."

With that being said, they went in search of someone who could tell them what had happened to the town. As they got closer to the center of town they began noticing people coming out of their homes. The town's folk drew closer to them until they were encircled. One of the men stepped forward "I'm Lockhart the Mayor of this town. What can we do for you strangers?"

"We were wondering what happened to the town. Why is everyone afraid to come out of their homes," said James.

"We have been under attack by some unknown sky demon. This demon can use lightning to destroy our homes even on a cloudless day."

"Has anybody seen it?" asked Sam.

"Everybody has seen it. It lands in the middle of town and calls down its lightning to destroy everything in sight."

"Can you describe what it looks like to me?"

"The demon is no taller than a man, but stands on four legs with the front half of an eagle and the back half of a lion. It is the most frightening thing I have ever seen."

Sam turned to James and said "It sounds to me like this demon is a very young wild Griffin."

"What do you suggest we do? Is there any way to keep it from hurting anyone else?"

"The only way for that to happen is for it to bond with a Griffin mage. After the bond it will take on character traits of its bond mate."

"Why isn't this Griffin already bonded? Don't they bond at birth, like Dragons do?" asked Sandra.

"No, Griffins won't bond with a mage until they meet their soul mate."

"Can you bond with this Griffin?"

"No, I have already found my soul mate. You can't really master Griffin magic until you do."

"Where is your Griffin if you don't mind me asking?" asked Sandra.

Suddenly there was a shimmering in the air. And there before them stood a twenty foot Griffin.

"I was waiting for someone to ask that question," said a deep gravelly voice.

"Everyone I would like you to meet Shining Star my soul mate," said Sam.

"It is a pleasure to meet all of you," said Shining Star.

"The pleasure is most definitely ours," said Sandra.

"Is there anything you can do to help with this current situation?"

"I'm afraid not. Like my Sam said the only way to stop this young one is to have another Griffin mage bond with it."

"Well then, I guess it's a good thing we have another Griffin mage with us," said James. "You think you're up to trying to subdue this Griffin, Mom?"

"I don't know if I am, but I guess I have to try at least. I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't."

Turning to Sam she asked "What do I have to do to bond with it?"

"Well since this Griffin has landed in the center of town more than once some small residue of its power will still be found there. You will need to meditate in very center of that residual power and let your mind seek out the other half of your soul. If it is to be your Griffin it will hear your call and answer you."

"Well since we're almost there, now, why don't we go ahead and try," James said.

"Sandra will have to do this by herself if she wants to connect with the Griffin."

"Are you okay with doing this on your own, Mom?"

"I guess I'm going to have to be, aren't I. Oh well! The sooner we get this done, the better."

"Mr. Mayor if you would have everyone to return to their homes we hope to have this situation resolved very soon."

With that the town's folk and James' companions headed for the cover of a nearby home. Sandra on the other hand continued on to the very center of town. Once there, she could sense a very weak energy that seemed familiar to her. Reaching the center of this energy she sat cross legged and tried to sense the Griffin. For a long time she sat there, and nothing happened. She was just about to give up when suddenly she felt a tugging on her consciousness. Wondering what this new feeling was, she opened herself to it. Once she did, she could suddenly feel another consciousness surround her. This other consciousness spoke to her.

"What took you so long to find me? I have been waiting for you for my whole life."

"I just recently found out I was a Griffin mage. And I do come from another reality. So I don't know how you could have been waiting for me that long."

"That may be true but whether you are born here or in another reality we always know who our destined one is."

"Wow there must be a lot of creatures that don't find their destined one then. I feel so very sad for them and for you I'm sorry it took me so long to find you. Will you come to me so we can meet face to face?"

"Open your eyes. I'm already here."

Sandra's eyes shot open to see the most beautiful creature she had ever seen, standing before her.

"How did you get here so quickly?"

"Once we bonded the astral plane was opened to me. I can now be by your side with just a thought."

"Why did you cause such havoc for this village? It doesn't seem like something you would do."

"I was just a mindless beast until I felt you near. And my consciousness was locked away until we bonded. But now that I am free I can make things right. If you wouldn't mind helping me that is?"

"I don't mind at all. What do I have to do?"

"Simply let your consciousness touch mine and we will be able to do great things."

Sandra stood and reaching out touched this magnificent beast for the first time. Leaning forward she touched her forehead to his brow and once again let their consciousness's merge together. As they merged a glow enveloped the two of them, sending lightning racing throughout the village. Instead of destroying, wherever the lightning past the buildings were restored. In minutes the entire village was restored.

Breaking contact Sandra looked at the Griffin and asked "What should I call you now that you are mine?"

"My name is Thunderbolt."

"It is my most gracious pleasure to meet you Thunderbolt. Let's rejoin the others so we can continue on with our journey."

Turning to head back to the others she sees them heading her way already. Joining the others Sandra said "Everyone I would like you to meet Thunderbolt the other half of my soul."

"It is an honor to meet you Thunderbolt. Anyone close to my mother is welcome in our group."

"Thank you. I look forward to getting to know you, too, son of my soul."

Meanwhile in the city of Argos a member of the council was awakened in the middle of his sleep cycle. Rising from bed to answer the call he looked into the mirror.

"Answer."

Upon seeing the image of his master appear he knelt.

"Master, how may I serve you?"

"There is an unknown source of light traveling to your city from the south. I want you to take care of this situation. Don't fail me, for if you do it will be the last thing you do."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.