Bill Sutherland. 6 in STOPWATCH - Cover

Bill Sutherland. 6 in STOPWATCH

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 29

Sunday, May First, late in the afternoon, the closing ritual for the campers was held. It was pretty simple. More or less, blessings of the goddess and the god were requested for those traveling and good life for those in the area. The circle was closed until next time ... although, no one was certain there would be a next time.

As much fun as everyone had there was a very likely chance they'd be doing it at Litha ... even if it was a bare two months away. Pagans ... any excuse for a party.

People were given to understand that the circle in the glade in the woods would be closed Monday night and those who were staying were invited to participate. This too would be fairly simple ... based on the idea it's a lot easier to send the gods home than it is to summon their help.

Monday, the second of May, the people who wished to, stepped to the path. DD, sky clad ... as she usually was in good weather ... stood in the entrance and asked the question..."Who are you here for?"

'I am here for the goddess or the god or both' was the only response acceptable. During the entire weekend, degrees were ignored ... unwelcome, really. The gathering celebrated the power and not the 'man'.

Demands that thus and so degrees be acknowledged were totally ignored nor were any demands for monetary gifts for certain personages attending paid. Mina, through the goddess, was able to perform real magic ... as was DD.

Violet, as admittance control read minds and allowed no disruptor entry.

"I serve the old ways, the old ways had no degrees." You either had it or you didn't.

The girls had Pyewacket.

Mina and Peter made up a closing ceremony ... mostly ad-lib ... but it went over very well. The leftovers went and ate the leftovers ... Mina and Megan positively FORCED the hangers-on to take plenty home...

"Take this crap with you ... there's more than we can eat in a month ... Go on ... get it out of here."

It seemed to be more than they started with. It wasn't, but there was still lots.

DD was stuffing bones in bags and accosting folks.

"Y'all got dogs? Good ... have the bones too!" DD said. "I got a cat and six kittens and I want them to look like cats and not plush toys."

She didn't get rid of it all, but a lot went out the gate. The archaeologists were going to suffer through with what was left.

"Laurel? DD? Mina? Megan? I thank you from the bottom of my heart." Mr. Piper and Cindy and the family were standing by their truck. "I learned a lot."

"And that's saying a bunch," said Cindy.

"We had a great time," said the boys. "Now it's time for a nap!"

Thanks to the gift of the goddess, the gathering had been generally trouble free.


Art went to dinner with his banker buddy and Bill looked up vintage clothing. He didn't want a Goodwill or a Blind Thrift, he wanted nice period clothing.

Taking a taxi from Brown, Bill visited a vintage clothing shop on Moreland Ave in Atlanta. There, the manager told him that authentic clothing from the 1940's and early '50's was increasingly hard to come by ... and what was found had a tendency to be moth eaten. This was the period that men still wore wool and moths just loved wool. However, military uniforms were showing up all the time. As the vets got old and died, their heirs sold or gave away memorabilia by the closet and trunk full.

"You'd be amazed at some of the things we find," chuckling as he said it. "These kids don't think old letters are worth a damn. I've gotten one hell of a collection of dollar bills from letters sent home from the war zones but never opened."

"Sell any?" Bill exclaimed. "I have a use for old dollars. 1945, '46, '47."

"Sure, gimmie 2 bucks on the dollar?"

"How much to you have?"

"About two grand ... it's not pristine ... so it's not like it's collector quality."

"I'll take it all," and he took out his debit card. "If you'd like, write it up as clothing purchases ... Say ... do you have any old uniform pants and shirts that'll fit me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.