Bill Sutherland. 6 in STOPWATCH
Chapter 21: Run or Run Away!

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

On the run to town, Cal accidentally mentioned to Carl that he missed having Mina around in Armadillo.

Carl said that, he too, missed having Lauren Fox living close enough for 'communication.'

"You have money ... move," said Carl. "You could marry her."

"You have money ... move," said Cal. "You could marry her."

"We sound like a recording." They both laughed. After they calmed down, they both said ... like twins, "Good idea!" And that set them off again. They never made it to town.

There was a 'Locally Produced' store, plastered all over with Organic Grown signs, at the corner Chewcala and Uniroyal. A collection of sheds more than a store but the prices looked good.

There must have been a dozen Soccer Moms buying stuff. There were kids looking a lot like the man behind the register bagging and weighing for the SUV drivers. Sharpies were flying. Every bag had a price.

One thing for sure ... if the local moms use your place it's a good one. It's like a herd of semi's at an out of the way cafe ... it's good.

The country store produced ... produce: Sweet corn in the shuck, clay peas, locally smoked bone in, country ham, locally raised, corn fed and slaughtered Angus beef, 'maters (tomatoes), organic and local spinach, homegrown? he had it.

A simple question to the owner, a question in turn and a 'recorded' answer from the men. The wife came out to the register. The three made a trip to the shed in the wayback and a 'slash' taste test produced some of the Best Moonshine in the world ... Cocke County Clear from Tennessee... 198 proof and reasonable ... Twenty two dollars per in a gallon milk jug. The market owner mentioned that 'this here is Popcorn Sutton Run.'

"I can sell you some canning jars, if need be," said the man, "but only by the dozen ... whole box ... with lids."

"Well, in that case ... we need two more gallons, this will impress our friends in Armadillo ... it sure impressed me." Carl was poking Cal in the ribs as he said it.

Cal was still trying to breathe. He managed to nod and reached for his wallet while pointing at four boxes of jars. "And the fixings," he wheezed. "Oh Goddess, that's good!" He gulped down air, and exclaimed, "Blind Jason is going to be pissed."

It took Carl about 20 seconds to ruminate on that statement..."How much will you sell us?"

"It's what it's here for ... to sell. I got about a 100 gallon from this load and I've got thirty gallon of cinnamon apple and maybe 10 or so of Peach pie. That Peach pie is gooder. " He thought about it for a minute..."I got some 'experiments' of Sutton's too."

"We'll take it if you'll take a debit card."

"If you don't mind me calling it Angus Beef Sides on the receipt. Hell, I'll even give a discount, you buy it all. Twenty a gallon. Three grand for the lot ... plus your groceries."

"Sold!"

"Drive around here and we'll load her up ... that Doc Sutherland's Dodge?" That got a nod. "Hell, make it twenty five hundred for the whole shootin' match ... He's a regular ... him and that passel of pretty women he lives with.

"Them arkeyalagists he's got working out there digging holes in the dirt are my best customers ... can't hardly keep beer in the cooler ... they buy the shit out of it."

"Thirsty work," said Carl.

"It must be, my beer driver used to come once a month, now he comes twice a week ... three years running. Hand over fist, yes sir. Making it hand over fist."

"Well," said Carl. "Mina says they'll be digging out there at least 17 more years."

"Shit Fire!! I can retire!!" the owner grinned, "Hell, my kids can retire before that's over."

"You mentioned sides of Angus? You got them here?" Cal asked.

"Hell yes ... local and not feed lot. Got whole carcasses too."

Cal had his cell out before the man got past 'Hell yes.'

"Mina? No I'm not mad ... are you?"

Carl said to the owner, "I'd like to be a fly on the wall for the other end of this conversation."

The farmer laughed, "well, we can hear this end."

"I'm sorry." Cal was red in the face.

Carl whispered to the man, "Hell, apologizing for something he didn't do."

"That's an invite to a wedding if I ever heard one," the old man grinned.

"Yup ... I'd say Cal's a deader."

"Yup. Hush ... let's hear this."

"Wanna have a celebration?"

"You'll see."

"Is there space and a place for a huge picnic?"

"If I buy a whole beef can we roast it?"

"Angus."

"All your associates."

"The local covens."

And that got a look from the farmer.

"You guys pagan?" he asked Carl

"He is."

"Mother!! We're gonna party ... call the phone tree!!"

He walked up to Cal and stuck out his hand, "Merry Meet!"

"Hold on a sec, Mina."

"Merry Meet." said Cal.

"And you do no harm..." said the old man.

"Do what you will," Cal finished.

"You're going to need two steers."

"That many?"

"Maybe three ... there's a bunch."

Half the young mothers came scurrying around asking, "When?"

"Mina? I think we might be having a gathering ... it sure sounds like it."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.