What the Future May Bring
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2012 by Going Forward 55

President Lehrer, acting Secretary of Defense Weston, acting Secretary of State Reynolds and White House Counsel Valentine walked out of the Cabinet Room and proceeded toward the Oval Office. As they were about to enter, the President's Secretary, Anna Escrito, called, "Madame President, Ross Forbes is on the line and he says that it is very important."

"Okay, I'll take it in the office."

She entered the Oval Office and lifted the receiver. "Kathleen Lehrer here."

"Madame President? Ross Forbes. We have just received a report within the last ten minutes about the outbreak of fighting in Azerbaijan, Turkmenia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan in the former Soviet Union. These reports have not been confirmed yet, but if the fighting is as extensive as we are being led to believe, we should receive confirmation soon."

"What is the nature of the fighting?"

"It appears to be more insurrections led by the Islamic fundamentalists in the Central Asian republics of the former U.S.S.R. As I said, we don't have any confirmation of these reports or any details about the fighting, but, as soon as I know more about the situation, I will pass word on to you."

"Is there any sign of Iranian involvement?"

"It's possible, but at this time, we just don't know."

"I am just starting a meeting in the Oval Office about the latest developments and I would like you here for it as soon as possible, okay?"

"I can be there within a half hour."

"Good, we'll see you then."

The President then pressed the button for the intercom with her Secretary. "Anna, please call General Allen and Stew Butterfield and have them get over here as soon as possible. Thank you. And could you have some fresh coffee sent up? Thanks."

She then turned to the people who had gathered in the Oval Office.

"Ross Forbes from the C.I.A. just called a couple of minutes ago. He said that they have received unconfirmed reports about hostilities breaking out in several of the Central Asian republics of the former Soviet Union. He says that they appear to be related to the hostilities going on throughout the Middle East, but he doesn't have proof of that yet. He, General Allen, and Stewart Butterfield are on their way here now."

"That's an interesting development," replied Reynolds. "This could put things in a whole new light."

"Let me call the Pentagon," added John Weston as he picked up a phone, "and check with the Defense Intelligence Agency and see if they have anything about it."

As the Defense Secretary called the Pentagon, Kathleen Lehrer walked over to a chair and collapsed in it. Her weariness was evident from her sagging shoulders and the dark circles that were appearing, despite her makeup, under her red eyes.

Ted Reynolds looked at her. "You look exhausted."

"That's an understatement. I've got so much to learn! I'm less prepared to be President than anyone in our history, including Harry Truman. At least when he was Vice President, he knew that there was a chance that he could become President. Hell, I just became Secretary of Education a month ago! Who would have possibly thought that a person could be Secretary of Education one day, and President of the United States the next? Several weeks ago, I had a terrible dream that this would happen, but I just dismissed it as a horrible nightmare. I just hope that I can do the job without blowing up the world or completely destroying the economy or anything else like that."

"Madame President, things can't get a whole lot worse than they are now," said Fred Valentine. "The only other thing that could happen that could make the situation worse would be if we had a complete economic collapse, and I am hopeful that we can avoid that."

"I'm not too sure about that either," replied the President glumly. "The economy is so shaky right now, and with what happened last night, it is bound to upset people's confidence in our system to the extent that we could have a total collapse. It worries the hell out of me."

"I'm worried about it too, but I think we'll be able to work it out," answered Valentine, unaware that they would be forced to start dealing with that possibility in less than thirty six hours.

At that moment, they heard Weston thanking the person on the other end of the line and hanging up the phone.

"D.I.A. said that they have also heard rumors about uprisings in the Central Asian republics, but that they have not been able to confirm them yet. They will call me as soon as they are able to confirm the nature of any hostilities that may have occurred there. They have also received reports about a number of terrorist attacks throughout Europe, but the reports are sketchy."

"Okay, let's get some ideas together. One of the first things that will have to be determined is whether these Central Asian uprisings are legitimate or whether they are being staged to provide the Russians the excuse they need to invade Iran and offset our position there."

"No matter whether the uprisings in Russia are legitimate or not," stated John Weston, "the Russian government is going to want to have some sort of an agreement with us that says that since we are both the innocent and injured parties in the dispute with Iran, that they have as much of a right to invade Iran as we do. If the Iranian mullahs have indeed instigated insurgencies inside of Russia, we would be better off with an agreement that states what both sides will do, as well as what we will not do, and includes specific timetables for the withdrawal of forces after the cessation of hostilities. We don't want a repeat of what happened in that region right after World War II, when the Soviets occupied Iran for a time and were very reluctant to leave."

"We must have an agreement on a mutual thinning of forces after hostilities are over," added Reynolds, "first in the Mideast, then in Europe. Then we can really start working on world-wide disarmament. But, first, we must get through this crisis."

Less than five minutes later, there was a soft knock on the door. Fred Valentine, who had stood in order to stretch his too tense muscles, opened the door to admit Chief White House Steward James Robinson, who was pushing a cart with a large coffee urn, cups, saucers and fresh pastries that had been out of the oven for less than thirty minutes. He moved the cart to the side of the office so that it would be out of the way. As he turned to leave the Oval Office, the steward turned to look at this slightly built woman who had just had the burdens of the most demanding job in the world thrust upon her.

"Madame President," said the Chief Steward, "I'd just like to wish you the best of luck. You're going to need it. I just wanted to say that if there is anything that we can do for you to make your job any easier, just say so. That is what we're here for."

"Thank you very much," replied President Lehrer with her illuminating smile, "I really appreciate it. What is your name?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.