Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 16

The four of them went to church at Netherbourne. The vicar noticed Simon and Joanna sitting with Jerry and Emma and wondered if there was any significance but said nothing as they shook hands with her after the service. All the same, she sensed the closeness of Joanna and Simon and surmised that there might be another wedding in the offing.

Jerry and Emma took the dogs for an hour's walk during which time Simon rang his sister. It turned out that she was at home that weekend and planned to be so again in a fortnight's time.

"What's up?" she asked.

"I want you to meet my girlfriend."

"Do you? That sounds serious."

"It is."

"Have you met her family?"

"Yes, they were up in the Lake District which is how I met Joanna."

"Golly! That's quick work."

"That's what she thought at first."

"Hmm. I look forward to meeting her."

"You'll like her ... A lot."

"Hope so. OK, Simon. See you then."

He switched off his mobile and smiled at Joanna who was looking questioningly at him.

"Non-committal as expected but she looks forward to meeting you."

"Did she think it was all a bit quick?"

"Yes but it was surprise rather than anything else."

Joanna nodded. "I can understand. I'm still a bit surprised myself but," she smiled radiantly, "very, very happy."

Simon touched her cheek. "So am I, my darling." He grinned. "I'd probably better ring my mother now before she rings me."

Joanna chuckled. "Go on then."

Simon did so with the loud speaker on. "Hello, Mum..."

"Tricia says you've got a serious girlfriend."

"Very."

"You met her in the Lake District."

"Yes we..."

"It's all pretty sudden. Are you sure it's not just infatuation?"

"Quite sure. Please, Mum, don't start jumping to conclusions. When you meet her you'll realise why."

"What do her parents think?"

"Totally happy. Theirs was a whirlwind romance as well and they couldn't be happier."

"What's she like?"

"Lovely in every way."

"Oh, Simon! What does she look like?"

"Mum, you'll embarrass her. She's sitting beside me and can hear every word you say."

"Oh! Do you like her parents?"

"Very much. Her step-father..."

"Step-father?"

"Yes, her father, a naval helicopter pilot, was killed in Afghanistan two and a half years ago."

"Oh, poor girl! Go on."

"Her step-father is a retired army officer and her mother is a psychiatrist. You'll like them enormously."

"You say she's beside you?"

"Yes."

"Could I have a word with her? Joanna, isn't it?"

"Yes. Hang on a mo."

He looked enquiringly at Joanna who was biting her lip. She nodded albeit a little tremulously. Smiling encouragingly Simon handed her the telephone and took her other hand.

"Hello, Mrs Carstairs," she said shyly.

"Hello, Joanna. I hope I didn't upset you firing of all those questions at Simon. It's just that you're the first girl he's ever wanted to bring to meet us and completely out of the blue as well."

Despite her nervousness Joanna could not help but smile. "Not at all, Mrs Carstairs. If it had been the other way round I think my mother would have done just the same. As for the infatuation you mentioned, I wondered the same at first but we've spent a lot of time the last ten days just talking to each other and getting to know each other better and better. I know it's not infatuation now."

"Thank you, Joanna. That's very comforting on both scores. Now, when do you plan to arrive?"

Joanna looked questioningly at Simon. "What about lunchtime on the Saturday?" he asked.

"Fine and you'll stay the night of course."

"Yes, please and leave again after lunch on Sunday. Joanna's got to get back to London."

"That sounds good. I look forward to meeting you, Joanna."

"Same here, Mrs Carstairs. Goodbye."

"And goodbye to both of you. Keep in touch, Simon."

"Yes, Mum. 'Bye."

"She sounds a bit fierce," observed Joanna slightly dubiously.

"Shyness, darling. You wait. She'll be gentle and friendly when you meet her, I promise."

"Hope so."

"Know so."

The following two weeks went by much like the previous one. Simon was unable to resist driving up to Putney both Wednesdays. Needless to say Joanna was thrilled. They decided to take both their cars to the Carstairs' so that Joanna could go straight on up to London. Simon would guide her to the M40.

Joanna was staggered by the Carstairs' house. It was a huge Georgian mansion. Simon led her in through the back door to the kitchen where he greeted the woman there.

"Hi, Maggie," he said. "This is my girlfriend, Joanna Roberts. Darling, meet Maggie who with her husband Mike runs this place."

Maggie smiled warmly and shook Joanna's hand. "They're all in the drawing room," she said adding with rolling eyes, "waiting for you."

Simon laughed. "Come on, Jo-Jo," he said taking her hand. "Let's go and beard the lions."

Joanna clinging to his hand, gulped, nodded and allowed herself to be led to through to the front of the house.

"Hi, everybody!" Simon said cheerfully. The three Carstairs rose and led by Helen Carstairs came forward to greet them. She was small, slightly plump with dark hair and bright brown eyes. She held out both hands to Joanna.

"At last!" she said smiling. "And welcome. Goodness me! Simon said on the phone that you were lovely but that didn't do you justice, my dear." She kissed her on both cheeks and then turning to Simon hugged and kissed him.

Iain Carstairs was next. It was quite clear whose son Simon was. His smile was the same too and Joanna felt herself relaxing. He took her hand and kissed it. "We're all drinking champagne," he said. "How does that sound to you?"

"Marvellous," she replied thankful that her voice sounded normal. "Thank you."

Iain patted Simon on the shoulder as he went past. "You're looking well, old boy," he said.

Tricia was last. Simon had said she was small but she was tiny, no more than five foot, with jet black hair cut short and her mother's eyes. They were friendly enough but Joanna was aware of being appraised.

"Hello, Joanna," she smiled. "I hope we're going to be friends."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.