Replay
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

As Jerry switched the engine off Emma and Judy came out of the front door.

"You're late," Emma said with a smile. "Two minutes."

"I'm sorry if I caused you any anxiety," Jerry smiled back.

"I did have to have a sniff at my smelling salts."

Emma held out her hands and Jerry took them.

"Anyway, you made it," she smiled up at him.

He could not resist it and gave her a quick light kiss.

She positively beamed. "And you're forgiven," she said softly. "Come on. Let your girls out and then coffee."

Jerry did as he was told and they went in the back way as usual.

"Hi, Jerry!" Zoë welcomed him. "Recovered?"

"Nothing to recover from. Two pretty ladies in my house all evening. Yum!"

Zoë snorted. "Does he always behave like this, Mum?"

"No, dear. It's your bad influence. Sit yourself down, Jerry. As far away as possible from that young woman, I suggest."

"Jealousy! Jealousy!" chanted Zoë.

"One of these days, my girl..."

Zoë pealed with laughter and winked at Jerry. He laughed with her. It was infectious.

"Where are we going to walk today?" asked Emma.

"From the pub to the pub, I suggest."

"Sounds good. At this rate Judy'll soon be fit again."

Once they had left Zoë pulled out her mobile and rang Joanna.

"Hi, Zoë, are you home?"

"Yes. I got back at lunchtime yesterday."

"Good term?"

"Yes thanks but I've got quite a lot of work to do while I'm here: the dissertation chiefly."

"Good luck!"

"Hey, Jo, I've rung you for a reason. Mum's got a boyfriend."

"What?"

"We had dinner with him last night and I liked him very much. He's gentle and funny and quite good looking."

"So?"

"She's in a stew, Jo. She wants our approval both of him and getting involved with a man only a year after Daddy's death."

"Well certainly some people might think she's been a bit quick off the mark. Tell me more about him."

"I don't really want to, Jo. I think you should see what you think yourself."

"You obviously like him so why shouldn't I?"

"I'm sure you will but I want Mum to be sure that you approve. The thing is that they're obviously pretty keen on each other but if Mum continues to hold him off she might lose him and I don't think that would do her any good at all. She's been so brave about Daddy but I can see that she might crack if she loses this chance. I've told her to go ahead but she won't without your OK as well."

"Where is she now or are you out somewhere?"

"She's walking the dogs with him on the Plain and they're then going to have a pub lunch over there."

"What if I was to ring later and tell her that I'm happy if she is?"

"It might work but I know she'd be happier if you'd met him. Could you come down next weekend?"

"Not really. I've got to fly to Brussels with my boss on Sunday afternoon."

"Saturday?"

"No. Theatre with friends.

Zoë sighed. "It's just that I think it's building up to the crunch point."

"OK. When do you think they'll be back?"

"Half two or three?"

"Right. It's just gone eleven. I'll be with you in a couple of hours."

"Oh, Jo, thanks a million. See you then."

"I hope there's some lunch. I haven't had any breakfast."

"Nor have I and there will be. Promise. See you."

"'Bye."

Zoë apprehensively looked in the fridge. There looked to be ample bread, cheese and salad.

Joanna was as good as her word arriving at quarter past one. They greeted each other with a hug.

"Mum hasn't got any booze," said Zoë. "Do you want to walk up to the Trout for something?"

"Why not? My treat though."

"Why? I bullied you to come down."

"Simple. I'm the only money earner in this family at the moment."

Zoë accepted the comment without demur.

"So tell me more about this paragon."

"Jo, he isn't a paragon. He's just a nice, ordinary bloke. No airs and graces but warm, friendly and, I reckon, as straight as a die."

"How old is he?"

"Well he retired from the army a year ago at fifty-five so he must be fifty-six."

"Thirteen years older than Mum."

"Yes but he doesn't look any older or behave any older than Daddy and he was seven years older than Mum."

"True. What did he do in the army?"

"I don't know."

"Rank?"

"Full colonel but what does that matter, Jo?"

Joanna grinned. "Not a lot but Daddy would have had to call him 'sir'."

Zoë chuckled. They were approaching the Trout. "Let's change the subject, Jo. I have a feeling they're trying to keep their friendship quiet at the moment."

"Got it."

Emma said little in the car merely responding to Jerry. He wondered why. Her greeting had been warm and friendly and she had seemed cheerful and natural over coffee.

The dogs raced ahead as soon as they were let out of the car. Emma and Jerry followed in silence but, after a couple of hundred yards, she slipped her hand into his. She had made up her mind. He looked down at her concernedly. She was in a stew about something.

"Tell me, Emma."

"Jerry," she said almost timorously, "I'm sorry I've been so ... withdrawn since we left home. I was trying to pluck up courage. It's ... it's just ... that ... I've fallen in love with you."

Jerry stopped in his tracks. They turned towards each other.

"Oh God! Thank You! Oh, Emma! I'm in love with you too."

His arms went round her and she fell against him as her arms went round his chest. He kissed the top of her head. She burst into tears. They held each other, silent for several minutes. Finally she released her hold on him and looked up.

"I'm frightened though, Jerry."

"Why? he asked gently.

"All sorts of things."

"Tell me, my darling."

Her head went back onto his chest and she tightened her hold. The dogs came back but could sense the emotion and just waited.

She spoke into his chest. "Will's only been dead for a year but I know he wouldn't worry. He ... he spoke to me last night but ... but I've got to make sure that the girls are on side too."

"Zoë seems to be."

"But I need Joanna's blessing too."

"I can wait."

"But ... but ... what if she doesn't?"

"How likely is that? If Zoë's happy with me why shouldn't she be?"

"I don't know but she can be contrary."

"So what? Is she keen to see you happy or is she going to be difficult and disruptive?

"Neither. I think. But, Jerry, I don't want to lose her."

"Well, let's wait and see how she reacts."

"What about the village and the chit-chat?"

"What about it?"

"All the talk about Will not being in his grave over a year..."

"Shush! I think our love can cope with that and they're not our family or close friends. In the end, when we're married and you've got rings on your finger any chat will die away."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.