Replay
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

The first thing that Jerry did when he got home after feeding the dogs was to take the pheasant from the freezer and put it in the fridge. He wanted to thaw it slowly. Next he made himself a mug of tea and sat down at the kitchen table with a cookery book. He was going to roast the bird but wanted to find out about what he called to himself additives.

As he studied the recipe he realised two things. He was going to have to do some shopping and he was going to have to spend forty minutes in the kitchen before dinner. He did not believe Emma and Zoë would mind sitting at the kitchen table while he did his stuff. So that he did not make a nonsense he decided that he needed to draw up a task list with timings, a detailed list at that.

Then it occurred to him that there were other preparations such as dusting the dining-room and drawing-room, hoovering, polishing the table, laying it, checking the downstairs loo. He had let himself in for a busy day. He was looking forward to it if the truth be known.

He had a bath and changed before going to the Trout for dinner, managing to slow down and have a drink at home with the paper, which he had hardly looked at that morning, before going to the pub.

Emma meanwhile had not been as happy in a long while. She had thoroughly enjoyed riding again and realised how much she had missed it even if she was a bit stiff. Jerry had again been sweet, gentle and amusing. She really did like him very much. She reckoned that he liked her a lot too, his embarrassment at having told her how lovely she looked, the way he had got her riding again, his obvious hope that she would join the Linnets and his invitation to dinner. The other thing was their admission that neither had laughed so much for a long time. And the stunned look on his face when she had kissed him. All right it was only a peck but it was rather more than a kiss on the cheek and he had looked very happy when she had turned round to wave to him. She giggled and Judy even looked up from her basket having completely flaked out as soon as they had got in and she had had a drink and some food.

Suddenly, Emma became sombre. 'Will darling, what do you think?' she wondered. 'I loved you so much, still do, and I miss you terribly. Is it wrong to find another man so attractive so soon? I can't believe you'd want me to continue to live as a widow for the rest of my life but am I showing you disrespect or a shallow love by being attracted to another man so soon? I loved you with all my being and will go on treasuring that love we had for each other for ever. It can never die but ... Will?'

There was no answer but she prayed fervently that night when she went to bed. Again there was no answer and it took her a long time to go to sleep. The answer was there in the morning though. Will, above all things, would want her to be truly happy again but he would not want her to lose any of the love or respect of her daughters. There was nothing about what the village might say. Emma found it a huge comfort. Zoë would read the situation this weekend as ever was and would discuss it, Emma knew, with Joanna. She relaxed. She could behave with Jerry that evening as she had so far and see what Zoë's reaction was.

She was relaxed when she met Zoë's train at Pitsbury at twelve-forty and they drove home chatting animatedly. Nothing was said of Jerry though. Zoë was bubbling. She was confident of doing well in her finals and was not fussed by her dissertation on the future of the Middle East as informed by history.

"Anybody's guess," she said cheerfully. "Although the way Israel and Iran are sparring it could end at Armageddon. Got to take the book of Revelation into account."

It was not until they had finished lunch, a light one, that Emma broached the subject of dinner that night.

"Ooh, Mum! Got a boyfriend?"

"No! It's much too soon."

Zoë grinned. "Tell me more about him."

Emma was factual. "Well, he's about six foot tall and well built."

Zoë interrupted. "Oh, come on, Mum. Is he keen on you? Is he pushing you?"

"I think he's quite keen..."

"And you?"

"Quite."

"Already?"

That was the crunch question. Emma was silent.

"Mum, darling, what do you think Daddy would want?

Emma was silent again.

"He'd want you to be happy."

Emma nodded. "But only if you and Joanna were happy too."

Zoë grinned. "This evening and I get to vote."

"Yes, sweetie, but please be careful how you vote."

Zoë realised how serious her mother was. She smiled reassuringly but said nothing.

They turned up at Jerry's at ten past seven.

Jerry had instructed Emma not to dress up and she had obeyed him, just. She was wearing a dress of interwoven pinks and blues which highlighted her blonde hair and blue eyes. It showed a hint of cleavage and a pair of trim calves.

Zoë was dark haired with brown eyes but was clearly her mother' daughter. Her face was the same shape. She was the same size and shared the same figure.

Jerry took Emma's hand. "Thank you for coming," he said and bent to kiss her cheek. She turned her head so that it landed on her lips

He started but she squeezed his hand. He looked her in the eye for a moment and then tore himself away.

"Hello, Zoë," he said warmly. "I'm delighted to meet you."

"And you, Colonel Evans."

"Don't you dare! Jerry!"

"Yes, sir." She stood rigidly to attention.

Jerry laughed. She was clearly a fun girl.

He led them though to the drawing-room and offered them drinks. Emma chose a gin and tonic, Zoë a fruit juice. He breathed a sigh of relief. He had catered for both.

Ten minutes later, looking slightly apologetic, he said, "Look, I've got to do some pretty continuous work in the kitchen. You're more than welcome to stay here."

"Rubbish!" said Emma forcefully and then teasingly, "I imagine you have some seating in your kitchen."

"Yes, ma'am"

Emma grinned. "I think, Zoë, that we might deign..."

"Mum!"

Emma chuckled and held out a hand. "All right. I think I might be led."

Zoë grabbed it. Jerry looked at them both not knowing how to react. Zoë got the giggles and held Emma's hand out to Jerry.

"You lead her," she said.

Jerry's meticulous planning paid off and the meal was delicious. Emma and Zoë were very complimentary. The conversation never flagged either and there was much laughter. Jerry was in his seventh heaven particularly when on a number of occasions he turned away from talking to Zoë to find Emma watching him with real warmth in her eyes.

After dinner the girls insisted on helping to clear away and load the dishwasher before having coffee. Jerry put a disc of Chopin nocturnes on the hi-fi.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.