Replay
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

That evening, as was his wont, Jerry went to the Trout for dinner. As usual it was good. He chatted with the usual Friday evening customers. On Saturday he was up at his normal time, collected his newspaper from the village shop and settled down with a mug of coffee to do the puzzles. He found his concentration wandering. His mind kept going back to the previous day, Emma and the fun they had had. He was tempted to ring her and see if she wanted to walk the dogs together again but realised that to do so would invite someone they knew seeing them together. He dropped that idea, reluctantly. He did his morning chores and then set about various other jobs that needed doing but his mind was not really on them. It was the same again on Sunday even at the Trout for the Sunday roast lunch. Monday was his weekly shopping day and that was better. He was away from home all morning and there was little chance to be introspective. On Tuesday morning he had his routine round of golf with his usual partner which was thoroughly enjoyable. That seemed to be a turning point. Indeed, on Wednesday he started to get excited about riding on Friday. That evening he decided to ring Emma to confirm their arrangement, the excuse being that if they were going to have coffee before setting out they ought to start half an hour earlier. Her number was ex-directory. That was a setback. Thursday morning was his stint at the Citizens' Advice Bureau and his mind was fully occupied but the afternoon and evening were of excited anticipation.

Emma had not been much better. She considered, on Sunday, going to the Trout for lunch in case he was there. She decided against it. She could not really afford it and people would wonder anyway at her turning up on her own even if she took Judy and claimed she had been walking and was thirsty. On Monday and Tuesday she was working and her mind was fully occupied. She did her best to cast off the unhappiness of her patients when she left the hospital but was not always successful. On this occasion she was completely so, as Jerry once again returned to her thoughts. Like him Wednesday was her turning point.

On Friday, as before, Jerry was punctual to the minute and once again Emma was at the door to meet him but this time with a huge happy smile. It was contagious. As before they went in through the back door leaving the dogs in the garden.

In the kitchen there was silence as Emma poured their coffee and they sat down opposite each other at the kitchen table.

"Well?" asked Emma still smiling.

"Very and all the more so for seeing you."

If she had been twenty years younger Emma would probably have blushed, looked down or both. Instead, if anything, her smile grew broader.

"Same here."

"Done anything exciting this week?"

"Nope. You?"

Jerry shook his head. "I was going to ring you at one stage but your number's not in the book."

"No. Mrs E. Roberts is an invitation for cranks to try their luck." She had regained her poise. "You're not cranky, are you?"

"No. A bit creaky on occasions."

"Poor old thing. Are you creaking at the moment?"

"No but I probably will when I get home this afternoon."

"Me too. Muscles I haven't used for a year."

They smiled easily at each other.

They did not linger over their coffee and were soon on their way with three excited and vocal dogs all whining in anticipation. They left them in the car while Jerry paid the guest fee for Emma and they collected Cherry and Nuts.

Nuts decided to play up a bit at the dogs but Emma held him firmly in check and talked to him. He soon quietened down and Jerry was impressed.

"Do you know where you're going?" Emma asked mischievously.

"West a bit, north a bit, east a bit and then lunch at the same pub as last week."

"Sounds good."

They walked for half a mile and then trotted chatting easily all the way.

"How about a bit of a gallop?" Jerry asked.

"OK."

"That clump on the skyline?"

"OK."

Off they went. Cherry being the bigger horse pulled ahead but Nuts was not far behind.

"You'll have to give me a start next time," said a flushed Emma her eyes shining with excitement.

Jerry nodded quite unable to say anything. At length he said, "Sorry. Your loveliness took my breath away."

This time Emma did blush but she didn't look down. "Thank you," she said softly. "Where now?"

"Straight on for a bit."

They walked on in silence. Jerry could have kicked himself for making a remark like that. It could put her off him thinking he was making a pass at her. He decided not to apologise. That could land him deeper in trouble.

In fact, Emma was not the least put out. It was a sweet compliment and quite genuine. She sensed no flirtatious overtones but she did sense that he had embarrassed himself and chuckled inwardly in sympathy.

"Can you explain?" she asked him, chiefly to break the silence. "This is an army training area and yet the public seem to be able to wander at large."

"Pretty well. In fact, the public really only come onto the fringes. The artillery impact areas are marked off and are no go at any time, danger of unexploded shells. If there is a major exercise they have wardens to shoo people away from the areas affected."

"What about Imber, the ruined village? That always seems to need special things for the annual pilgrimage."

"That's in a danger area and people have to be escorted."

"Ah!"

Jerry looked round. They had all the dogs, panting though they were and with their tongues hanging out.

"I think we'd better walk for a bit and let the girls get their breath back."

"Certainly Judy. She's beginning to get a bit chubby."

"Strict diet!"

Emma blew him a raspberry. "I am a doctor, you know."

"Mental doctor and not a vet."

"I can see I'm going to have trouble with you Colonel Evans."

Jerry grinned at her and she wrinkled her nose at him.

They turned north shortly after that for a couple of miles and had another gallop, this time rather shorter, and Jerry gallantly gave Emma a generous start and let her win. She gave him a knowing but friendly smile. Nuts though was clearly very pleased with himself.

"I'm looking forward to my lager," said Emma.

"Twenty minutes or so."

"Oh!" she wailed melodramatically. "I shall probably collapse from dehydration."

"Nonsense!" replied Jerry. "I can still hear the coffee sloshing around in your tummy."

"What? You are a very rude and insensitive man."

"Yup!"

Emma tried to look cross and upset but instead got the giggles.

Jerry grinned impudently. "Come on then," he said. "A short canter for Judy's benefit.

"Foul man!" She urged Nuts into a canter.

They walked the last mile to the pub. All five animals drank thirstily and then they turned the horses into the field before carrying their tack and dumping it beside the pub door.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.