Replay
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Jerry arrived at The Lodge right on time and Emma was at the door to greet him, her Springer beside her.

"Hi, Jerry," she said. "I took a chance on your being punctual. The coffee is just ready."

"Great! I wasn't expecting coffee. Hello," he added to the dog which had come to inspect him. "What's your name?"

"Judy."

"Hello, Judy." Jerry offered the back of his hand to be sniffed. "Are you ready to meet my ladies?"

He opened the tailgate. Judy looked at the Labradors who waited in the car summing up the situation. Skye was the first to jump down closely followed by Islay. There was a short mutual inspection followed by Judy inviting them to play.

"This way," ordered Emma going to a gate at the side of the house. The dogs went racing past and Jerry followed more sedately.

"They can't get out from here," said Emma. "Come on in. I'm going to shut them out."

She led him through a boot room into an airy kitchen. "Ooh! I need to shut the front door."

"I'll do it while you pour the coffee."

"Thanks."

They sat at the kitchen table.

"Sorry. I haven't got any biscuits. Very figure conscious I am." She grinned cheerfully.

"Clearly," replied Jerry solemnly but was given away by his eyes.

Emma fluttered her eyelashes at him and they both exploded with laughter.

They did not linger over the coffee. Both were keen to get walking. They collected the dogs from the back garden and set off.

They enjoyed their walk. The dogs took an enormous amount of exercise but were never really out of sight and responded to Jerry and Emma's changes of direction. It was clear that Emma's Judy enjoyed running with the Labradors.

"How do you tell your two apart?" Emma asked. "They look identical to me."

"I know. Skye carries her tail lower and has a more rounded head. Islay carries her tail higher and is marginally more square-headed. It's their eyes chiefly, I suppose, and their behaviour. Both are very obedient but Skye has slightly harder look in her eyes and is prepared to argue the toss on occasions. I think you've got to be pretty close to them to know the difference."

"I'll wait and see."

Jerry had heard about Emma's daughters and discovered that she had no son. She asked after his family.

"What does Rory do?" she asked.

"Investment banking."

"Oh blimey! He's not a hedge fund investor or something like that, is he?

"No," smiled Jerry. "He's with a very well known private bank which behaves itself."

"And Devlin?"

Jerry sighed. "As things stand, he's never going to make big bucks. Even less than I did in the Army. He's with a charity for autistic children. I can't fault him though. He's totally committed to it."

"How did he get into that?"

"When we were living in the quarter in London he became involved with our church's children and helped with their nine to fifteen year olds. There was an eleven year-old lad who clung to Devlin from the moment he appeared. He had his difficulties but Devlin was there for him and worked with his parents. Then trouble came because every time Devlin had to go back to university the boy went wild. Devlin came home for weekends whenever he could, which of course cost him, to be with that boy. Devlin got the charity he's now working with involved and young Larry is really benefiting. His parents are absurdly, almost embarrassingly, grateful."

"He sounds very special."

"He is but Meg is the real breadwinner so when they start having children I'm not sure what will happen."

"And so you worry about it."

"Yes."

"Natural but don't."

Jerry looked questioningly at her.

"Devlin and Meg have a strong faith. Yes?"

"Yes."

"That will see them through."

"You have a strong faith."

"Yes. So did Will which helped me enormously when he was killed.

"I can imagine and now as well, I'd have thought."

"Yes. What about you?"

"A simple faith and strong in its way but I'm not a church-goer. I don't enjoy being evangelised."

Emma chuckled. "I know what you mean."

It was gone midday when they got back to the car. "How about a baguette?" Jerry asked.

Emma looked doubtful.

"Not at the Trout," smiled Jerry. "It'd give the gossip-mongers a field day. There's a nice place a bit further north."

Emma smiled back. "Yes please. I'd like that."

It only took them ten minutes to drive there. There was a horse trough full of water from which the dogs drank greedily. They then went back in the car.

"Judy won't lie down and keep quiet," said Emma. "Springers always have to be on the go. Over-sized terriers!"

Emma and James went into the pub where they had a drink, she a half of lager and he a pint of bitter, and ordered the baguettes of their choice.

"How did you find this place?" asked Emma. "I like it."

"Bridie loved riding and we became members of the garrison saddle club when we first moved to Donton. We were directed here early on and always liked it. You can turn your horse out into the next-door field."

"Did you ride because she did or are you keen as well?"

"Initially yes but then I caught the bug and I really enjoyed it."

"'Enjoyed' past tense?"

"Yes. I've done it since she died and the dogs enjoy it but it's different hacking on your own, no one to talk to or have a race with. You know ... In some ways I enjoy the solitude but..." He shrugged.

"Yes. I do know. In some ways I enjoy my solitary walks with Judy. I've got time to ponder but they can wear a bit thin."

"So you enjoyed this morning."

She gave him a dazzling smile. "You bet I did. Thank you, Jerry. Um, are you still a member of the saddle club?"

Jerry nodded. "I'm thinking of giving it up though."

"Are you allowed guests?"

"Yes of course." His eyes lit up. "You?"

Emma nodded excitedly.

"You'd probably have to take a test."

"No probs. I had my own mare that I kept at the farm but sold her when Will died. Couldn't afford her anymore. I loved her. She was an absolute sweety. Nothing outstanding but she was happy to plod for miles and have a bit of a canter now and again."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.