Bonnie - Cover

Bonnie

Copyright© 2012 by Levi Charon

Chapter 9

When things began to happen, they happened very quickly. The first big event was when Congresswoman Welch drove up, Dr. Kaminski's Escalade close behind with two primatologists, apparently both well known in their field. Dr. Doreen Springer was from NYCEP, the New York Consortium for Evolutionary Primatology, and the second was Dr. Robert Ndenga from the Congolese Ministry of Science.

After they were introduced, Dr. Kaminski put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Aaron, I'm sorry but your help is no longer going to be needed on this project. We've discussed it with the research team being assembled and they all feel your presence at the site would serve no real purpose. I know you're disappointed but I want you to know that everything you've done for Bonnie is very much appreciated. Drs. Springer and Ndenga will take over Bonnie's care from here."

Before I could overcome my stunned silence, Bonnie screeched and took my hand, pulling me away from Dr. Kaminski. She began signing to me frantically, so fast I could hardly keep up. William watched her and turned to his boss.

"Dr. Kaminski, Bonnie says that Aaron must go with her back to her home. She seems very upset about what you said to him."

Dr. Springer interrupted, "Are you telling me she understood what Dr. Kaminski was saying?"

"I told you she was special, didn't I?" answered Kaminski. "William, tell her we understand her friendship with Aaron but she will make new friends with the research team. Tell her she'll be very well taken care of."

As soon as William began signing Dr. Kaminski's comments, Bonnie interrupted him with another hair-raising scream and slapped his hand. Again, she began signing very fast to William who interpreted her simultaneously. 'If Aaron not come with me, I not help others. I not sign. Important Man not take Aaron from me.' To emphasize her determination, she jumped into my arms, putting her arms around my neck.

Dr. Kaminski looked frustrated and took the others aside for a short conference. He looked at me and tried again, "Aaron, try to convince her that she will have the best of everything. She's extremely important to the scientific community and we must be allowed to study her as well as the other members of her clan."

Now Sarah waded in and she was pissed. "You don't seem to get it, Dr. Kaminski. If you think you can replace Aaron in Bonnie's mind with promises, you're not even close to reality. Bonnie owes her life to Aaron and she isn't likely to forget it. I can assure you she'll do exactly as she says. If you separate them, you won't get so much as another word from her – ever! If you don't rethink this stupid fucking idea, not only will you forfeit any chance of ever communicating with her, I'll plaster what you're doing all over the internet. I'd be willing to bet that wouldn't be the kind of publicity the President wants to be associated with." She turned to Lillian. "Congresswoman Welch, are you going to go along with all this bullshit?"

The Representative was so angry she was turning red in the face. "No I'm Not!" Turning to face Dr. Kaminski, she said, "George, I know you're smart enough not to be the author of this hair-brained scheme. Bonnie and Aaron are a team and that's that!" Looking at William, she continued, "And don't you even think about taking her by force. It's not going to happen."

After speaking briefly with the Congolese scientist, Dr. Springer spoke up, "Dr. Kaminski, everybody, obviously we didn't understand the level of attachment between Bonnie and Aaron. Dr. Ndenga and I withdraw our earlier suggestion and ask that Aaron be considered an essential part of the research team. It's very clear to us now that he's going to be the primary conduit of communication between Bonnie and her clan and the rest of us."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.