Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 210

"Damn Sylvia I always knew you were smarter than the average operator," the colonel said.

"She is ruthless as well," the sergeant major said without a hint of kindness.

"And thank God for it," Andrew said. "If she were less ruthless I would still be in a Vera Cruz prison."

"Not likely, more likely a mass grave. There are not many mercenaries, who do jail time anywhere in South America," The sergeant major said. He still showed no approval at all.

"Ah you guys," I said faking a humbleness I didn't feel. "So what are you really doing here?"

"There is a church campground about twenty mile deeper into the mountains. It is for sale. The only part worth anything is the land. The cabins are crap and the meeting house is pretty much crap as well," Andrew said.

"So ya'll decided to pass on it?" I asked.

"We haven't decided yet. The decision isn't ours to make anyway." the colonel said.

"Oh who has to decide," I asked.

"The board of directors, of course," the colonel said.

"Of course," I agreed. I had no idea what kind of board of directors they could have. I thought about it for a few seconds and decided I really didn't care. "So what do you want with a mountain retreat?"

"We might just move up here. I mean since you are here, we would at least know someone," The colonel said.

"Hell Colonel, I can't help you guys any," I said.

"Who knows," he whispered smiling. "By the way, do you have any of that green dragon drink?"

"How much you want?" I asked.

"I imaged a half gallon will do," he said.

"Sure $200 and I'll round some up for you. If Andrew is going to stay, I'll send it out with him," I suggested.

"Oh we are going to be around a couple of days. We want to walk the property as well as check out that lake." The Sergeant Major suggested.

"Sorry I don't have room for you all to stay," I lied.

"That's quite alright," the colonel said. "We are registered at a motel closer to the camp. Actually it's a pretty nice motel. We could put up potential customers there. We have to give tours now and then. Not to mention this is a new kind of operation we are talking about. I would tell you about it but you aren't working for us any more."

"That right, and you aren't going to make me curious about your new line of work," I said.

"You would love it," Andrew said.

"I don't want to know," I suggested. "Tell me this, is the camp in Warren County."

"Yes it is, does that make a difference about you running for Sheriff?" the colonel asked.

"I'm a bootlegger, I'm not going to run for Sheriff," I said.

"Just curious, would it make a difference though," Andrew asked.

"Not a bit," I said.

"Okay, what if it was an instant adrenaline fix," Andrew continued.

"That's why I bootleg, I get my fix that way," I said.

"Come on that's out smarting the cops, but it's not life or death," the Sergeant Major said.

"I don't need that shit," I said.

"Do you really tell yourself that and believe it?" the Colonel asked.

"Let's say yes, I tell myself that," I replied.

"But you don't believe it," He suggested.

"No comment," I replied.

"We have a female Mossad agent coming in to work with us. You would like her," Andrew said with a lewd smile.

"Andrew you should know I'm not gay," I said.

"Not unless you need to be," he replied.

"We like you because you will do anything you need to do to get the job done," the colonel said. "You know we do kind of have a history."

"Was that a threat?" I asked.

"No it was an appeal to your better nature," Andrew said.

"You, of all people, know I don't have a better nature," I said with a laugh.

"Talk to Allen when he gets back. We are going to talk to him." Andrew suggested.

"We are pretty sure he will be interested. He is probably bored running this pub." the colonel added.

"Well, we don't work together just because we live in the same town," I replied.

"Just keep an open mind," Andrew said.

As usual the sergeant major acted as though he didn't want me to join them. I suppose that was supposed to intrigue me, It didn't. "Well let me think about it before you pitch it to me," I said. First I had to make the decision that my current life wasn't enough for me. Then I might be open to some kind of work with the guys from swamp dog. I guess if they moved to the mountain, they would adopt another name. Then again it wasn't like anyone found them up in the yellow pages. They could call themselves anything.

Most of their customers were routed to them through government agencies, who couldn't help them. Of course a lot of the work was for the US State Department or the CIA as well.

When they needed help Swamp Dog interviewed the personnel, assessed their skill level, and trained them in a specific job. In exchange Swamp Dog got the pay check and sent part of it on to the Operative in the field.

What they had planned for the peaceful mountain community, I had no idea. I doubted that I would like it all that much. Sure for me personally it might be a thrill, but for the community it might bring them nothing but grief.

"So tell me the truth, what kind of neighbors are you going to be?" I asked.

"They are not even going to know we are here," The colonel said.

"There is no way that is true. Can you keep the threat level and impact down to a small amount on the communities around the camp?" I asked.

"You have been to the Dismal Swamp site did the people outside the compound seem to be upset by our presence." The Sergeant Major said.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.