Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 53

I drove home at five in the morning, more than a little upset by Learners comments. No I didn't have a lot of forgiveness in my heart. That was the church's Job or maybe even the ADA's job, Cops were supposed to pick up the bad guys. Somebody else had the job of deciding their fate. If he got me bounced from the unit because of this I was going to be pissed.

I fell into bed without even taking a shower first. I was tired and my ribs hurt slightly. It was a minor pain, but it was always there. The doctor told me when he released me that, if I couldn't control the pain with OTC drugs, we should consider come kind of therapy. I could deal with the pain with no drugs not even the OTC kind.

Even with the pain I fell right asleep and stayed that way until noon. When I woke at noon, I felt great. When I dressed for my morning walk and run, around town, I wore one layer less clothing. Partly because it was later in the day and partly because it was spring, damn it.

I took off at a run because I was running more and walking less as I covered my usual route around the downtown. When I got back to the room, I wanted to eat something, but there was nothing in my tiny fridge. There was also nothing in the small cabinet, so I either had to go to the grocery store or to a restaurant. I chose the store.

I bought a package of mixed cold cuts and a package of cheese. I also found a bag of flat bread which was about half the calories of regular bread. It was 2PM before I got a sandwich made. Since it was only two more hours to swing shift's roll call, I decided to take a shower, put on the uniform, and go down town for a milk shake. I know, half calorie bread then a milk shake. It would have been worse to have had full calorie break and the milk shake. Because I was going to have the shake either way.

The best place in town was a cafe and soda shop off the main street. It was no more than a hole in the wall, but it did have four tables. It was busy and all the table were occupied. I ordered the milk shake and stood to drink it. I saw the old style bulletin board very prominently displayed on a wall. Naturally I went to look.

There were cars for sale. There were services of all kinds listed, including repairing that car you just bought from the other notice. It was like a Craig's list in pin up hand written notes...

On the bulletin board was a notice of a small efficiency apartment for rent. It was located in the downtown. There was also a picture of old Victorian house. The notice clearly stated they preferred a quiet lady tenant. You could not say that on Craig's list.

I didn't have time to think about so rather than call, I went to the office. I was about thirty minutes late for the 3PM start time of that evening patrol shift. I went to the Chief Deputy's office. "Hey there Chief Deputy Simpson," I walked right by his secretary to say it.

"Hello Sylvia, how did it go last night," he asked. I figured it was time to see what Learner had said.

"It went quite well. We accomplished both tasks you set for us," I said.

"I noticed good for you. So you are all set for tonight then?" he asked.

"Far as I know," I replied.

"I think we are going to make a change," Simpson said. Here it comes I thought either Learner got me bounced. or he asked for a transfer. Either way it wouldn't look good for me.

"Oh what kind of change," I asked.

"The duty sergeant will give you your assignments for the night, but he won't do any follow up. If you guys need help you can call him, but I think you two can work things out between you," Simpson said.

"That's what I thought," I said turning to go.

"What does that mean," he asked.

"We both know what it means. Work it out or one of you goes. We are not going to babysit you," I said.

"Damn you are pretty smart, as well as good looking," he said.

"Yeah, I recognize the smell of bullshit," I said.

"Good," Simpson said. I didn't try to defend myself because I didn't feel that I needed any defense.

I went back home to await the 8PM start of my own shift. While I waited I fumed about Learner. I finally called about the apartment. I loved the idea of living in an old Victorian house. "Hello I'm Deputy Silvia Porter of the Warren County Sheriff's office. I was wondering if you have rented the efficiency apartment in the old Victorian house downtown?"

"No as a matter of fact I haven't, are you interested?" The older sounding woman asked.

"Yes Ma'am I am interested. I don't know if I can afford it or not," I said.

"Why don't you come by and we will have a nice talk about it." she suggested.

"Would it be alright if I came by right now. I am on a rather odd shift right now, but I definitely want to see the apartment." I said. I really did want to see it. I liked the motel and all, but I really needed more space. I was accumulating stuff and I needed a place for all the new stuff,

"Yes dear, you just come right over. You do know where it is located?' she asked.

"Yes Ma'am I have passed it often. It is a gorgeous old house," I said.

"I won't rent the apartment till you see it, if you come tonight," she promised. "I live in the downstairs, just knock on the front door. I did just that, I drove right over.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.