Cecil Corliss, Young Investor
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2012 by happyhugo

"Roma, when you get two days off to visit the acting school? It should be as soon as possible."

"I know. Monday and Tuesday are free. I am not rehearsing those two days. Can we get to New York, visit and tour the school, and meet this lady I will be staying with in that amount of time?"

"I'm sure we can. We will have to leave very early. I'll make the plane reservations."

Roma looked worried at this. "I've never flown before."

"There is a first time for everything, remember that."

"Okay. I think I am going to be scared a lot. I feel as if I am going out into the world for the first time alone. Always before I have had someone I knew with me."

"Roma, don't be afraid. Remember you are an actress and a very good one. Put yourself into the role of the bravest person you know. Look at me. I am uncertain all of the time. I am a kid acting in an adult theater. What if my plans don't work out and I lose my inheritance or make a fool of myself?"

"Cecil, I think you are the better actor between us two. You are the bravest person I know. I predict you are going to be a great success."

"I predict the same for you, Roma. I believe in you and you believe in me. Our doubts about ourselves will be a secret shared."

Our flight took off at four in the morning and we reached New York in time for breakfast, which we ate at the airport. We took the shuttle into the city catching a taxi where my father's friend had lived. Rachel Bradford, an elegant sixty-five year old woman, met us at the door. She welcomed us into her home. Over coffee and for a half hour, she and I reminisced about my father. She showed Roma the bedroom where she would be staying.

"Cecil, will you be staying here tonight?"

"I hadn't planned on staying here. I was going to get me hotel accommodations."

"Would you tell me about your relationship with each other?"

Roma answered, "We are just friends and I live with Cecil in his apartment when I am in the city. We don't share a bed, although I wouldn't mind."

Roma surprised me when she said this and I looked at her. She continued, "We will share the room tonight if you don't mind."

"That will be fine. Now, as for getting back and forth to your lessons, we are on the bus route and only a couple of blocks from your school. That is convenient for you. I do own a car and I have a chauffeur who drives me about. You may feel odd in it, for people stare at the car when we are out. It is a 1939 LaSalle.

"Basically it is a Cadillac and a classic GM product by any standard. My husband loved it, I loved my husband, and that is why I still have it. I would love to have you here with me. My two daughters and their families live out on the west coast and only visit me over the Christmas holidays and on Memorial Day. I am alone here most of the time and I am sure we will enjoy each other's company." Roma looked so pleased.

We took the bus to the school. Roma toured the school and then proceeded to admissions. The rest of the afternoon took up introductions to the teachers. We walked into some of the classrooms where there were students. I was invited to go with them after I had turned over a check for Roma's instruction. The tour guide informed Roma that she would have time to work in various mediums when auditions were posted. Announced regularly, casting calls for actors were posted and the students at the school were welcomed to apply as part of their training.

Roma and I walked the two blocks back to Rachel's house. We stopped on the way at a pizza parlor and split a medium sized pie between us. When we arrived at Rachel's home, Roma had to knock. She was waiting for us and presented Roma with a key for use in the future.

Roma related the day's activities while we were sitting in the living room, telling how excited she was going to be going to the school and living so close by. Instruction did not start for another seven weeks and in the meantime she had work in a stage troupe. Rachel wanted to know the plot of the play that was opening on Friday evening.

This led Roma to acting out the parts of the play. I went on to tell how fooled mother was by Roma acting so much more mature than she really was. I soon suggested we retire as we had been up since before three this morning.

"I'm an early riser. If you two would like to breakfast with me, I will be in the kitchen when you are ready. What time will you need to be at the airport?"

"Not until two this afternoon. We leave at three."

"Good. I will have my chauffeur bring the car around and we will drive around the park during the morning hours. I'll even have him drive you to the airport this afternoon."

"Thank you so much," We both exclaimed.

When we reached the room, I asked, "Isn't Rachel a great lady?"

"Yes she is. I think she is lonely. I'm so glad I'm going to be staying here where we can become friends and I can help her with that."

"It will be great for you as well. I was worried about you living alone."

"Cecil, you really care what happens to me don't you."

"I do. I have to protect my investment. That is the only reason I'm trying to make things as easy as I can for you."

"Okay, but somehow I don't believe you. There has to be more."

"Roma, let's not argue. The shower is down the hall. I'll flip you on who goes first."

"Go." She paused, and then changed her mind. "No. I will go first. That way I can get into bed while you are taking your shower."

"Okay, you first." I flopped down on the bed and lay staring at the ceiling. I thought to myself that I should have gone to a motel and left Roma to bunk alone. Then I was curious. She seemed to want to sleep with me. I would soon find out what she had in mind. If she wanted to make love, well I had the expertise, thanks to Connie.

My mind traveled back to Connie Williams and what she had taught me. Then I thought about my relationship with Connie, realizing I was comfortable in the bedroom with her. I was also comfortable when I worked in the store. I did realize I was not comfortable when we were in the backroom of the store alone. I had a hang up about mixing business with pleasure. I felt I was tainting my investment. Was that why I pushed George to date Connie? I answered my own question. Of course!

Roma would be coming back in a few minutes. Would she seduce me? Could I resist the seduction? She certainly was a beautiful woman. Could I take the highroad and resist her charms?

"Go take your shower, Cecil." Roma came through the door dressed in the same ratty robe I had seen her wearing at home. I could tell she had pajamas on under it. She looked at me with a smile I could not read. "I'll be in bed when you come back."

I took an extra long shower, wondering how I would find Roma when I finished. She was waiting for me, lying on her back on the far side of the bed. "Cecil, would you sit in the chair for a few minutes while I confess I have been lying to you?"

"Of course I will. Nothing will change between us either."

"You say that now, but I don't know."

"Tell me what you lied about."

"First, I don't think I am gay. All my friends except you are women. I have never even kissed a boy or man so how do I know what my preference is? I have feelings for you that are strange. I want to get close to you. Sometimes I want to touch you. I want to come up behind your chair when you are sitting down and put my arms around you. I have never felt like this when I'm around a woman."

"You're telling me you are a virgin?"

"I am. In fact, in all ways I am. The problem is all my girl friends tell me they get a 'tingle' down there when they get close to someone that they are with or on a date. I do not get that when I am with the girls, and I feel I should get that with you, but I don't really. Oh, I believe I love you, but I don't know as I do that way."

"Roma, stop being conflicted. I was a virgin up until just a few weeks ago. I was a man. It was a hurdle I wanted behind me. I did and I enjoyed every minute of it. I am focused on my future and well satisfied to leave looking for a mate until later in my life. I want to get established first."

I paused and looked across the bed at Roma. "That may be what you are experiencing. We both are only eighteen and our focus is elsewhere. You are a very beautiful woman and I should have a bone-hard erection being close to you. I do not. That is unless I think about it and you. What I am trying to say is that for me losing my virginity was what I wanted at the time. I do not feel that much different now than I did before. With a woman I guess it will be different, but only if you let it.

"So if you will let me come to bed now, because I am very tired, I would like to sleep."

"Cecil, I have been feeling I should have sex with you, because you have done so much for me. I still feel that way and someday I expect we will. I made this decision today as we were talking to Rachel. Come to bed and we will put this off until we both feel the time is right. I really should have had my mother read the cards before I made that decision."

Roma flipped the covers open and I could see she was in her pajamas. I had my boxers and a tee shirt on so I was covered well. I slid into bed, staying on my side of the bed. I turned out the light. "Good night, Roma."

It was quiet for a time. "Cecil, do you suppose not having sex as a teen is why you are so intelligent?"

"Go to sleep, Roma."

I opened my eyes and realized it was daylight. I was still on my side of the bed. Roma's eyes were open and she was looking right at me. "Cecil, I have been laying here thinking how fortunate I am. It is all because of you. Oh, I would be touring with the stage company this summer because that began before you took up with me. However, I had no plans for after September. I do not think that would have got me very far in reaching my goal.

"I mean our troupe is a bunch of old has-beens and young people just out of high school. Not one of them has ever played Broadway. Some of us have talent, and I consider that I am in that category. I want to become more talented and with you financing me, I know it is going to happen. I have never had much respect as a person, but through you I know I will have."

"Roma, you are embarrassing me. I keep telling you this is business for me. Let's go see what Rachel has made for breakfast. I am anxious to see and ride in her car as soon as possible."

"Cecil, you always escape to someplace when I want to thank you."

"You are thanking me by being so dedicated. Maybe I am pushing a little, but I want for you what you want. Just so you know, it isn't because it is my business either." Roma smiled and I swear there was a tear forming in her eyes. I quickly ran to the bathroom to get dressed.

Breakfast was finished by 9:00, the chauffeur was waiting at the door, and we packed our luggage into the trunk. We stood for a minute admiring the LaSalle that Rachel was so proud to own. It was a handsome vehicle. Except for the different grill, it had the same Fleetwood body of the Cadillac of that year. The inside appointments were much the same also. The car was quiet, but you could feel it throb with the powerful straight eight under the hood.

Rachel informed us that the LaSalle sold for $1,000 less than a Cadillac just to keep up sales for General Motors. This was the depression of the 1930's and it took its toll of the more expensive cars.

Rachel sat in the front seat next to the chauffeur, Richard. I saw him lay his hand on Rachel's leg for a moment and she smiled at him. This made me wonder if they might be in a relationship. He was several years younger, but did that matter? I put the thought from my mind, as it was none of my business.

Rachel directed Richard to drive down Broadway. She turned back and spoke to Roma. "Just think, my dear, you may be playing in one of these theaters one day in the future. I will be so thrilled to think I may have had some little part in putting you there."

"I certainly am going to try my hardest to make it happen. I thank you for your thoughtfulness in giving me a chance."

At noon, Rachel bought us a bite at her favorite luncheon spot. She was watching the time and went with us when we traveled to the airport. I received a hug, as did Roma. Both the women declared they were looking forward to being companions and living together.

When we arrived back at our home airport, Roma asked me to drop her off at the playhouse. If some of her troupe were present, she would run through her lines. Again, I left her cab fare. She started to object, but I just held up my hand. She blessed me with a smile and with a quiet thank you, ran into the building.


Roma filled my thoughts as I prepared some soup. I had just opened the can when my phone rang. It was my mother. "Cecil, I saw you drive in. Are you busy?"

"I just opened a can of soup for my dinner. I think I have a hotdog stashed in the freezer compartment. Why?"

"Cecil, that's no dinner. Come join Pat and me. I have a roast of beef ready to put on the table."

"Okay, I'll be right there."

I walked around the house and into the dining room. Pat Herkimer was sitting at the table and I could hear mother in the kitchen. "Hi Pat, how are you doing?"

"Hi Cecil. Actually not too well. I have had a setback and I don't see a damned thing I can do about it."

"What's the problem?"

"You know that shopping plaza on River Street? I own that. I received word yesterday that the state is going to condemn the bridge over the river. That is my only access to it."

"The state will rebuild or replace it, won't they?"

"Sure, but not for another five years. The city cannot help me. They only have to put up 10% of the cost, but the way the economy is right now, they do not even want to do that. They will be happy to put it off as long as possible."

"How long before they close it?"

"By the end of this month for heavy trucks. For small delivery trucks and cars by the end of the year ... That is only five months away. The plaza is effectively cut off from everything except pedestrian traffic after that. Have you ever been to the plaza?"

"No I haven't. I have seen the sign directing people to it that is all."

"Let me give you a little background on it. It was a factory complex seventy years ago. The factory business left thirty years ago and it was empty for ten. I looked it over, bought it for a song, and had it renovated into a shopping plaza with apartments above. If the bridge is closed, those people can't even park their vehicles in the parking lot."

Pat Herkimer looked worried. "This is going to break me. All of the businesses and shops have long-term leases. The people who live in the apartments have leases going out a year or more. I have talked to my lawyer already. He said to be prepared for multiple law suits. Just the lawyer's fees alone will be enough to strip me of everything I own. That is to say nothing about any judgments against me."

Pat was quiet for a bit before he put on a good face and said. "Not your problem, my boy. Sometimes life comes up and bites you in the ass and I guess this is one of those times. I have not said much to your mother, so don't you talk about the situation. Let us have a good dinner. I'll be leaving early as I have to meet representatives of one of the national chains who lease the largest floor area."

Mother came through the door bearing a roast of beef on her best china platter. "Let that rest for ten minutes, Pat. I will get the potatoes and the vegetables. Cecil, help me." She headed back to the kitchen. I followed her in.

"Cecil, I was listening and I heard everything Pat said. You're smart, help him."

"I don't know. I hardly know where it is located."

"At least look into it for me, would you?"

"Okay, I can do that."

Pat made his excuses as soon as dessert was over, just telling mother he had a meeting. Mother told me to load the dishwasher while she put the food away. "Let's go into the living room. Cecil, I have been meaning to ask you if you ever see that girl, Roma, anymore."

"Sometimes. We were in New York together last night. She is going to school there in the fall."

"Oh?"

"Yes."

"Cecil, I checked up on her. I hope you do not mind. Her family appears to be a bunch of crooks. Her mother reads cards for a living. Who knows what her morals are. You do know she is much below our station don't you?"

"I don't know that."

"Well she is."

Mother had just asked me to help her companion out of trouble less than an hour ago. Her looking down on Roma pissed me off. "Mother, Roma is a virgin. She is single just as you are. I can hear you screaming with pleasure from my apartment in the rear of this house. We had the same room together and we slept in the same bed. She loves me, but she told me she was not ready for sex yet. I respected her wishes. I do believe you had to marry my father when you did because you were pregnant with me at the time.

"You have never held a job. Roma is working and going to school at the same time. She is dedicated and some day she will have more money than my father ever left you. She does not smoke and I do believe you smoke cigars because you want to start a trend among your friends.

"When I was six you told me to address you as Mother, not Mom or Mommy. This was because you wanted to emulate some person who had more money than Father. Please do not talk to me about a station in life. Roma is trying to get away from a bad situation and is willing to work hard to make it happen. I will tell you this, if she does and starts to act better than she is, as you do, she will not be my friend anymore. I am confident she won't, though."

I paused to let my rant sink in. "Now tell me why you are so tense about Pat and his problem."

"Cecil before I do, I want to know if I am really as bad as you make me out to be."

"No, of course not. I wish we were a little closer though."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you never say, 'my son' when you refer to me. It is always, 'Cecil' as if you wanted to keep me at arm's length. I always think and refer to you as. 'Mother' when I would like to say, 'Mom.' I think I would love you a little more if that happened."

"I didn't realize. I'll work on it."

"Good." I grinned. "Now tell me about you and Pat."

"I love Pat as much or more than I did your father. Pat is a more loving person and he is worried over the closing of the bridge. I know if he loses everything then there will be no life for us together. I have indicated I would share my money, but he will not hear of it. That is why I asked you if you could help. Would you do that for me, son?"

"I'll try. You can do me a favor in return. Would you ask Roma to get you tickets for the play Friday or Saturday evening? It would mean a lot to her to have you attend. She'll be home late tonight and will be leaving before nine in the morning."

"I will, I promise." I also promised myself as I went to sleep, I would do what I could to help Pat Herkimer resolve his problems. He loved my mom and my mom loved him. No better reason to work on it.

Mom knocked on my door at ten to eight. "Is Roma up yet," she asked before stepping inside.

"Yes she is. She is getting dressed and will be out in a moment. Do you have time for coffee?"

"I do, son." I smiled when mom addressed me as she did, remembering our conversation of last evening.

"Good morning, Mrs. Corliss."

"Roma, please address me as Sharon. Oh, you look lovely this morning. How is your play coming along?"

"It is great. I am confident it is going to go well. Tonight is our dress rehearsal."

"Roma, would you secure two tickets for me? Pat needs a diversion and I have convinced him to go with me."

"I can do that. Would you like to sit with Cecil? I can arrange it."

"Roma, that is so kind of you."

"Good, the tickets will be at the box office. They are on me. After all, I have a major part in this play. Actually, it is the most important one I have had so far and I am thrilled. Did Cecil tell you that I am to be training in New York starting in September?"

"No. He told me you two were in New York, but I wasn't aware what for."

Roma smiled, saying. "Cecil looks after me. He even found me a nice safe place to live while I am going to school."

"Where is that, Cecil?"

"She will be living with Rachel Bradford. You remember that Randal was father's close friend."

"I do remember him and her. We stayed with them when we went to New York." Mom turned to Roma, "I would say Cecil definitely is looking after you."

"He is isn't he? Cecil, I will not be home until after the play tonight. Do come backstage and maybe I can ride home with you. I have to run. I just heard my cab honk. I will look forward to seeing you this evening, Sharon." With a wave of her hand, she grabbed her bag and ran out of the door.

"I have to run too. I am looking into Pat's problem this morning. Mom, I accused you of never doing any work last night. You are acquainted with many powerful people though, and for my purpose that may serve just as well. I have often heard you speak of our present mayor and am friends of his wife. The council member from this district used to have dinner with you and father. Father was also the investment manager for the attorneys at Gibson's law firm. We may have to use all of these connections before we have saved Pat's business."

"You are going all out aren't you?"

I grinned. "You haven't got my bill yet. Mom, really I do expect to get paid if I am successful." "If Pat doesn't pay you and you save him, you may bill me."

"Sounds as if you love the guy."

"I do. I loved your father, but he only found time for me after he had all his work completed. Many days I was not involved with him at all. Then he would arrive home and take care of me. It was always feast or famine for me. With Pat, he has the will to live large and includes me in his life everyday. He has a staff and delegates many of his duties so he can have time to live his life the way he wants to.

"Tell me, wouldn't your father have been better off if he had built up a staff to do some of the work instead of insisting he had to do it all?"

"I didn't realize you felt this way. I am going to remember this. When I get too busy, I'll hire staff people to do the things that don't need my hands-on presence."


I started slowly to the Plaza across the bridge ordered closed in just 28 days. I looked up and realized I was meeting a semi-tractor and trailer coming onto the bridge. I glanced in the mirror and there was another rig of the same size on my bumper. How much did all three vehicles weigh? I began to sweat and gunned it over the bridge, getting off as soon as I could.

The thought crossed my mind that if the bridge was safe with this load on it now, what if only one rig was allowed on at a time? The closing needed a time extension. I pulled to the side as soon as I got off the bridge and gave the situation some thought. Satisfied that I had questions I needed to ask and even a few possible answers. All would take time to resolve. I knew that no one would answer questions asked by a mere kid. This I considered.

I drove around the Plaza. It was at one time a huge factory building. The first floor held stores and businesses. If this place closed, I knew the national concerns would just move to the suburbs and build a box store to inhabit. Where would the people living in the two upper stories locate? Somewhere not as convenient as this was I would wager.

The parking lot was huge and I realized that the many vehicles coming across the bridge were using the east edge of it for parking. The stores fronting the main strip above used the lot behind the stores for parking. Where would these workers and shoppers park if they had no access to the Plaza lot to park? More questions to be answered.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.