Loris and Morg
Chapter 11: Windshift: The Truth, the Whole Truth, Nothing but, Baby!

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

"I know how you think this waterworld was created," Perfect Timing said. "You have the basics correct ... your conclusion is wrong. There were NO survivors after the cataclysmic events that destroyed the continents and created the islands."

Boatman pondered a bit. "So how did these people come to be?"

The alien grinned ... grimaced ... made a 'face' that signified humor ... whatever, "I brought them here. Remember the two hundred thousand deaths from the tsunami in your Pacific? Better here than dead, Fred.

"They've been here a couple of thousand years. Plenty of time to set up legends and do some social modifications."

"Where did ya get the mermaid?"

"Ah ... she's local. There were fish in the sea ... air breathers before the acid rain. You call them dolphins. They bred with men ... and women and returned to the sea. Your Wendy is the stuff of legend, myth, genetics and magic."

"How come she shape changes ... and where did the gills come from?"

"I have no idea." Timing suggested, "why don't you ask her?"

"You're going to let me stay?"

"Sure, why not? You're not setting up to be a god."

"With a fiberglas boat, an aluminum mast and stainless standing rigging? You've done your possible to set me up as one. Ripstop nylon sails, my ass. Plus you've given me a water witch for a cousin."

"You're going to need her ... she's going to stop the occurrence you've just fixed."

"Huh?"

"Piracy, me lad, piracy. Killing the giant was the first part."

"Whaa?"

"Brilliant move. Absolutely brilliant. I couldn't have done better if I'd thought of it myself. And, before you ask ... I didn't."

"Didn't?"

"Set you up."

"And you figure that how?"

"Your boat 'appears' perfectly normal ... wood mast, wood hull, spun and woven U bush fiber sails ... it all looks normal. Just a little trick of mine ... optical illusion ... learned it from one of your people, a guy named Mesmer ... with a little help from Houdini." Timing broke out is his best rendition of myrrh yet. POP The funnyman was gone.

In the brief second that this conversation took place, Phillip Harbormaster called the meeting to order.

"Here now, you layabouts, if you don't have anything except curiosity, get your butts ... and buts ... out. NOW!"

That put nine out of ten bystanders out of his quarters ... not that it mattered, the ejected swarmed the window hatches.

The building wasn't your normal split plank floored, thatched roofed hut on stilts. No, the Harbor House was eight foot tall coral blocks excellently fitted and mortared with a 10 foot deep four step split plank veranda all the way around.

The vented tile roof stood on foot wide coral pillars, the pillars denoting the window and door holes. The doors were typical Dutch split doors, the top half tied open, the window holes had heavy shutters hinged and tied to the veranda roof. In the event of worse than normal storms, Harbor House could be shut tight.

The 36 by 48 foot main building had a 12 by 36 Masters Quarters in the back and a 3 foot wide leaning height counter out from the dividing wall far enough for shelves and maneuvering room.

The shelves held such forms as the Master felt he needed to keep track of comings and goings, births and deaths, and dance nights. Dance nights being primarily responsible for the births and deaths. As good an attempt at officialdom as possible in a very laid back society.

The rest of the room was dance hall, court room, waiting room, meeting room, school and any other use someone wanted to make of it The 30 foot long counter was the Bar on dance nights, the jury box for court, the podium for meetings and the teachers desk. Children didn't go to school until they were 12 and left at 13. Twelve being the most curious age and thirteen being the onset of raging hormones.

Twice in this quarter century the Harbor House had been the only habitat standing after one of the rare blows.

In it's own inimitable fashion ... the House was the harshest of population controls ... if you weren't at sea or on the lee side of the high peaks and you couldn't get in...

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.