Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 39

It was getting on towards evening when the two tired men rode into camp. They reported immediately to their King.

“The people will be only too glad to nurse their wounded, Sire. Sir Hugh also asks that you send everyone who is able, to help with the harvest. If it is not collected soon, the people could starve.”

“Very well, get those that can be moved, ready. We will head out in the morning.”

The two men bowed and left. He made his way over towards where Paul and Ilsa had set up their treatment station.

“I have some news for you. Freya’s people have agreed to have the wounded there.”

“That’s good news. We really are being stretched, here. I’ll prep them for the journey. I think they will be glad to leave this place. There is one other thing, there are a few of our own that would like to get back to Battle Valley. I know I would like to get back. Janice is nearing her time, and I really would like to be there for her.”

“I understand. Very well, I’ll get Talbath to escort you back. I still have Hugh, Rolof and Valith with me so I can’t see any problems there. You get home to your wife and we’ll see you when we get back.”

That evening as Tom and Eleanor lay in their tent she asked him about his day. He told her of his decision to send Paul back to Battle Valley with their wounded.

“That’s a great idea. Perhaps you could persuade them to bring back some of Lord Tony’s harvesting machines, if they have any to spare. It seems like the people here could use them, especially if you are going to take all their menfolk away.”

“That’s a good idea. Something tells me that you do not like the idea of me taking the menfolk prisoner.”

“I’m uneasy with it, I must confess. If all that is left is women and children then who will protect the tribes from bandits and slavers? After all, there are always bandits and slavers hanging around. They are like fleas and ticks, you never really get rid of them.”

“That is so true.” Tom told her, reaching around to scratch himself just at the idea of them. “What do you suggest?”

“I don’t know. Let me sleep on it, and we can talk some more in the morning.”

The following morning the camp was broken. The wounded were loaded up onto wagons. Paul and Talbath commanded their men to mount up. Talbath came over to Tom.

“Sire, are you sure you wish me to return?”

“Yes, I do. I have an important task for you. Once you have escorted Lord Paul back to your village and have ensured that the harvest is in; I want you to ride to Valith’s people and make sure their harvest is in as well. If it is not, you and your men are to assist them in gathering it in. I wish for all to know that even though their menfolk are out here helping me, I have not forgotten them. I will, wherever I can, help all our people no matter where they live.”

“We know this, Sire. I will be only too glad to help. It will reassure the men as well. They were wondering why you were sending them home but keeping the others here.”

“We are going into an area we do not know. If we take too many people, will we be able to feed them? The enemy are defeated. We do not need overwhelming force. The fewer people we have, the better.”

“I understand Sire. Thank you for you confidence in us. We will do as you command.”

Tom nodded and each column set off. There were lots of goodbyes and hugs.

“You get back and take care of that wonderful family of yours.” Tom told Paul.

“I will,” he turned to Tony “Take care of him. I’ll see you all when you get back.”

“I will, don’t worry.”

Soon the two columns went their separate ways. It took them all day to make the journey to the village. The cries of the wounded were a constant companion as they bounced their way over the rough and rutted track. Finally they arrived, much to everyone’s relief. Tom was at the head of the column. He addressed the assembled crowd.

“We are bringing your wounded here for you to care for. We did not want this war. Your leaders were the ones who decided to attack us. Your sorrow will be punishment enough. Let this be the end of it. We will do what we can to help you gather in your harvest. Had you decided to come to us in friendship and to trade with us, I can assure you that we would have welcomed you with open arms. As it is, you came to rob and enslave us. The price you have paid is high. It is with the lives and blood of your menfolk. This can never be allowed to happen again. Your surviving men will be taken as slaves for a period of ten years. After then, they will be allowed to return home. This is the price of war. Care for your wounded. Without your help, they will die.”

The wounded were unloaded and sent to their allocated hut. It was a bitter-sweet arrival. A great many of the families were in despair when they realised their menfolk were never coming home. Those who did, had to face the questions of what had happened and why the men were dead. None more closely questioned than Sven. He received black looks and harsh words from the widows of those he took to war. Tom and the others did nothing to dissuade them from their actions.

“Why are my husband and son dead? Who’s going to take care of us now? Who’s going to provide for us? Protect us? Are you going to? No you’re going to be taken off as a slave aren’t you?”

Tony went over to a couple of old men. “Can you show me where the blacksmith’s shop is?”

“Yes, but he is dead. There’s no one else who can work the forge.”

“Don’t worry, I can do that. There’s a few things I want to make. They just might make getting the harvest in a little easier.”

They led him over to the forge, and he looked round. There was enough iron here to make what he wanted. He lit the fire then went to find Tom, who was helping to get the wounded settled in. He could see a lot of the women searching the wounded for their loved ones. There was a growing group of weeping and grief stricken women, who’s faint hopes of finding their husbands, sons or fathers alive were finally dashed. The sight and sounds of this tore at his heart. Yes, they had brought this upon themselves; but even with this knowledge, it didn’t make it any easier. He approached Tom.

“I have had a look in the blacksmith’s forge. If I can have a few men to help I can knock something up to help gather the harvest.”

“Okay, take a couple of the prisoners, after all, it’s their families they’ll be helping.”

Tony selected his men. They made their way over towards the blacksmiths. Tom looked around the village. It looked as if before the war it would have been a good place to live. It still could be but it would now be a struggle without the men folk. Not for the first time he was wondering if taking the menfolk into slavery was the correct thing to do. He went over to Eleanor and Hugh.

“What’s the matter?” Asked Eleanor, seeing the worried expression on his face.

“Walk with me.” The wandered off out of earshot of the others. “I’m not so sure taking these men into slavery is a good idea. We will destroy these villages. It will be enough of a struggle as it is with all the losses they have suffered.”

“Why not take hostages?” remarked Hugh.

“Pardon? What do you mean?” enquired Eleanor.

“Yes! You are right. Isn’t this just what they did in the middle ages? They would exchange family members as a sign of good faith. This could work both ways. If we took some of the children and trained them, they could come back and help the people here. Hopefully it would mean that not only could we prevent any further attacks, we can promote understanding and friendship between the different people.” Tom said excitedly

“Yes it is well documented throughout Europe, from before the Norman invasion, right through to Elizabethan times, and possibly beyond. It could be the answer to this particular problem. You could have them swear loyalty then explain that you will take some of their children as a sign of good faith. It will help them recover. Hopefully, it will prevent anymore nonsense like this again.”

“Well, anything that lets us live peacefully is worth a try. After all, we don’t want a repeat a few years down the line do we?” Eleanor told them.

“Okay, it’s decided. This is what we’ll do”

They returned to the village and thrashed out their new plan. Tony drew up his plans and would start work in the morning. The following day Tony started work on his new machines. They were a great success. Within a week the machines were built, and the harvest was in. By then the more lightly wounded were starting to recover. They discussed their plan with them, explaining exactly what they had in mind. At first they were suspicious until they saw how quickly one machine had gathered in the harvest where normally it would have taken the whole village at least three weeks! They wished their sons to learn how to build such machines and their daughters to be able to heal others, not to mention to have the respect and admiration that the Angels so deservedly received.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.