Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 35

The caravan made their way into the town. The first thing they noticed, or rather the first thing they noticed the lack of, was the smell. It was not as clean as a modern town on Earth, but the all=pervading, gut wrenching stench that was the norm for Chaos was absent. Compared with the way it used to be, Bridgetown smelt like a Parisian perfumery. Aurora's sewage system appears to have worked. The people lined the streets to see them. Cheers rang out and banners waved as they made their way towards the centre of town. It was getting dark by the time they reached the main square.

Tom stood on one of the wagons and addressed the crowd. "Friends, we have won!" A great cheer arose. He raised his hands and waited for the crowd to quiet. "We are now free of the slavers and the threat that they posed. Now the real work begins to give our children a world that they can be proud of: A world where they can go to bed with a full belly, knowing there will be food the next day; where we can travel from town to town without being attacked and robbed, or worse. Where we can be rewarded for hard work and not have it stolen from us just because someone is stronger or better with a sword. Let these men earn their own bread and not just steal from honest, hard-working folk."

An even larger cheer rose from the crowd.

"Now, these things do not come for free. These things have to be paid for. If each of us pays a small levy, then we can all benefit from these things."

The crowd was a little quieter at this. Murmuring broke out as each looked to his or her neighbour. Slowly each person nodded in agreement with what Tom had said.

"Now we have travelled far and need to rest. Tomorrow I will hold court. Then I will announce a day to be a feast day. A celebration of our victory and freedom. It will be a holiday, to which all will be welcome!"

Another great cheer went up. The people started to make their way home.

They all made their way towards what was now being called 'The Palace'. It was Philimina's home before Tom took over. She still lived there and ran the place along with all the businesses Tom inherited when he killed her husband.

She welcomed them as they arrived, having already told the maids to get their rooms ready. She smiled when she saw Tom.

"So you made it back then?" She seemed a lot happier and more at peace than when he had last seen her.

Tom laughed. "Yes, we made it back. We drove the slavers out, made some new friends and some enemies. We have won the war, now we have to win the peace." He then introduced all the people he had brought with him. It was when he introduced Eleanor that he noticed that her face fell a little. Eleanor noticed it as well. Just then there was a scream and a blur as Aurora came into the room.

"Tony, Tom, Paul! You're back!" She leapt into Tony's arms, almost knocking him to the floor in her enthusiasm.

"Yes, we are. It's so nice to receive such a warm welcome," laughed Tony, holding her in his arms, her kisses stifling any further conversation.

"Someone's pleased to see us then," Paul laughed

Still holding and kissing Tony, Aurora waved at them.

There was another scream as Eviaria caught sight of Rolof. She too leapt into his arms and proceeded to smother him in kisses.

Once Aurora and Eviaria had finished kissing their respective men, they made their way to the dining room. A meal was prepared while they spoke of their adventures.

Tom looked around at the people around him. There was a considerable crowd. He was amazed at how they had worked together to free the island, his island, his people as he now thought of them. The stories flowed back and forth. Eleanor told of how Sir Rolof had arrived in the nick of time and saved the day, then of the arrival of Tom and the others. They could tell as she spoke of her love and respect for him.

Philimina told of how the profits of the town had multiplied with the trade and production of Tony's machines. Charlith thanked Tom for his faith in him. He had trained up a militia that was a match for any army in the world. Aurora told them of her achievement of not only building the sewage system, but also working with Charlith in designing the defences, which were, in her opinion the best anywhere. They now had the best defended, best trained and best equipped defence forces in the world.

The reports from the farms were that this was to be a bumper harvest, the best anyone could remember. They were all going to be well fed and safe this winter. It was, in short, a miracle.

Tom noticed that Philimina's daughters, Flora and Hyacinth, were very interested in a couple of his guards. They seemed two very different girls from the sullen, spoilt brats that he had encountered when he first arrived. Flora it seemed had a flair for engineering and was what could be considered Aurora's apprentice. Once she had seen that Aurora was valued and respected as a person rather than just as a baby making machine, she had studied hard to learn all that Aurora could teach her.

Hyacinth had been helping her mother with the business and accounts. She had taken responsibility for the farms and storerooms. She knew exactly how much food was stored and where. She assured Tom he could have his party as soon as he wished. From what was being said at table Tom was assured that when he left the town would be in good hands.

They all retired to their rooms. It was obvious that there were certain people who were going to be up very late the next day.

"I think we're going to have another wedding quite soon, followed quickly by a christening," laughed Tom as he watched the young couples make their way upstairs.

As they left Eleanor spoke to Philimina. "He's truly wonderful isn't he? You love him too, don't you?"

Philimina looked at her in shock. "Is it that obvious?" she sighed

"Well to those of us who know what to look for, yes, but to Tom? No, not a clue."

"I tried so hard not to. He killed my husband and took control of everything I had worked for. I thought he was just another man who would take whatever he could and then leave."

"But he didn't, did he?"

Philipmina laughed. "No, he didn't. Oh he took whatever was required to feed, clothe and prepare this town for what he saw as the coming fight, he did that all right. I was mad, I'll tell you. It was when I discovered what my husband had planned for us I had a breakdown. Everything I had worked for gone! Just like that, we were destitute. I broke down in front of him. He just gathered me up in his arms and held me like a child. No groping or fondling, just held me. I felt safe. For the first time in a very long time, maybe the first time ever, I felt safe in his arms. Can you imagine that? Then he gave me back my business. He did it in a way that no one can take it away from me, for he still owns it! I get the income and he takes the risk! After that, how could I not fall in love with him?"

It was Eleanor's turn to smile. "I know what you mean. There we were, facing certain defeat. We had held them for as long as we could but we knew it was just a matter of time. Then King Tom arrived and saved the day; well actually it was Sir Rolof who arrived first, he saved my daughter. It was after Tom arrived that the enemy made one last desperate attack. For a while it was touch and go, but in the end we won. It was what happened next that made me love him. He just makes things right. He sorted out the refugees, made sure all were fed and housed. He gave the people hope. How could I not fall in love with him?"

The two women smiled and nodded to each other in agreement. They made their way to their respective rooms.

It was as they were getting ready for bed that Eleanor dropped her bombshell. "You do know she's in love with you, don't you?"

"Pardon? Who?" Tom looked at her in complete astonishment.

Eleanor walked over to him, put her arms around him and kissed him. "Philimina, of course. Could you not see the way she looks at you? Why do you think she has worked so hard to make a success of everything?"

Tom sat on the bed, his jaw hanging open. "Why would she be in love with me? I killed her husband and took everything she ever had away from her."

Eleanor smiled at him and shook her head. "You silly man! You freed her from a loveless marriage; you gave her hope for the future. You gave her independence. She is financially secure now. Before she was totally reliant on the whims of her husband, who by all accounts was a total waste of space. It was also what you didn't do, as well. You didn't take advantage of either her or her daughters. Furthermore, you have allowed them to flourish. Both girls have the respect of the townsfolk due to their own achievements rather than who their father is. You really do need to talk to her."

Tom shook his head. "What on earth do I say to her? You know I haven't a clue about things like this."

Eleanor smiled. "I'm sure you'll think of something."

"Don't know what," Tom grunted.

The following day was a glorious day. It was bright and warm with the promise of more to come. Tony, remembering what Ilsa had asked of him on the trip here, went down into the town to find his friends.

Balik the blacksmith was overjoyed to see him return. "Welcome my friend. It's good to see you! I hear you had great success in ridding us of the scourge of the slavers!" he exclaimed as Tony walked into his shop.

"Yes, we sent them back home with their tails between their legs, those we didn't kill or capture!"

The two men laughed at this.

"So tell me" Tony continued, "how are things?"

"Oh Sir, let me tell you. Since you were here last my business has gone from strength to strength. We have been so busy making your wonderful machines I have had to take on four new workers. Four! And still we can barely cope! Now tell me: what are you doing for dinner? My Grisaille would not forgive me if I did not invite the man responsible for our good fortune to dinner."

"I would be honoured. I have however come here today with another commission for you. Lord Paul and his Angels have need of a particular instrument that I need your unique skills to make for them."

"Lord Tony, you flatter me sir. You may use my forge to make this thing, and then I would ask that you let me observe what you do so I may copy it. I know you are quite the artisan, you know."

"Thank you, Balik. You are too kind."

The two men went into his workshop where Tony explained what was required. They worked through to lunchtime when they had the prototype finished.

"I will take this to Dr Ilsa, to see if this is exactly what is required, then we will return for the wonderful feast I know your wife will prepare for us."

Tony went over to the hospital to find Ilsa. She and Paul had just been struggling with a difficult birth. Fortunately both mother and child were now fine.

"Hello, Tony. What can we do for you?" asked Ilsa when she saw him.

"Remember when we were on our way here and you had that young girl with the fistula? You said you need a speculum made. Well, here it is." He produced his newly-made object with a flourish.

Ilsa smiled and clapped her hands in glee. "Oh my, that's just what we need! Oh you wonderful man. Thank you!" She ran over to him, threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"Oh, by the way, the man whose shop I used, and who'll be making any more of these that you need has invited us to lunch. Knowing his wife, she will be very upset if we refuse."

On their way to Balik's they stopped at Julian's. He was the man making the optics. Ilsa explained what she wanted and the man was only too pleased to oblige. He brought out some of his work. To her amazement, Ilsa found exactly what she was looking for.

"This is wonderful. This will really help. I can now do those operations and help those poor women. This will transform their lives."

When the man heard this he asked what operations they would use it for. When Ilsa explained, he refused all payment, saying he was only too pleased to help those who did so much to improve the lives of others. He also asked if they could look at his sister as it sounded as if she suffered from this. They told him that his sister should go to the hospital that afternoon when Dr Ilsa would be only too glad to examine her.

They continued on their journey to Balik's. On arrival his wife was overjoyed to see them. She treated them to a sumptuous meal and asked all about their adventures. She was amazed at what they told her and at what they had achieved.

"It's amazing!" she exclaimed. "The difference, just within the town — why now I feel safe going to the market without a guard! Unthinkable. Why just last year we were attacked when we went to the docks to collect a shipment. Now it's safe to venture out unarmed! Remarkable. And the trade! We have never been this busy. It's all thanks to you and your friends. We cannot thank you enough."

"It's no problem; it's what we do," Tony retorted. "The one you really need to thank though is King Tom. He's the one who has made it all possible. He's the one with the vision, who sees what needs doing and how to go about it. Now as you know, there is to be a celebration to mark our victory. I hope you can both attend."

"Why we wouldn't miss it for the world! The whole town will be there," Balik replied.

Julian's sister, Magaritta, did go to the hospital. Dr Ilsa examined her and confirmed that she did indeed have a fistula. She told them that she had been married off very young, but after her first child was born she had torn. She could no longer control her bladder and constantly smelt of urine. Her husband had abandoned her and her child. They were forced to come and live with her brother, who had kindly taken her in. That was ten years ago. For the last ten years she had lived the life of a recluse, too ashamed to go out in public.

Ilsa immediately prepared the woman for surgery and operated at once. The results were spectacular. Margaritta could once again control herself. She wept uncontrollably when she realised what this meant. Yes she was a little sore, but she knew this would pass. It was like being reborn. Ilsa showed the Angels how to perform the operation. More speculums were ordered as well as optics. Soon women would be flocking here from all over the island and beyond to have this miraculous transformation performed on them. Angels would be trained up and sent out to remote areas to perform their miracles.

It was two days later that the party was organised, and yes, the whole town was there. Everyone enjoyed themselves, some a little too much. The following morning the Angels were very busy dispensing headache and upset-stomach cures. It was during the evening that Rolof and Eviaria announced their engagement. Eviaria had remained behind to run the hospital and train up more Angels when the others had left for Dampford. It was an extra cause for celebration.

Tom was sitting in his study going over some papers with Philimina. She was showing him how the businesses were doing. He could sense that something was wrong.

He looked up at her. "Philimina, tell me, how are you doing?"

She looked up at hiss face. Seeing the compassion there she caught herself, then the floodgates opened.

She broke down and wept. "I should hate you. You killed Branrith and took everything we had, but I can't. I have seen what you have done for the people here. I know what you did for me and my girls. Even after everything that Branith did, and what he had planed for us. I can't help it. I've fallen in love with you. When I saw you with Eleanor it was like a knife through the heart. I know I cannot compete with a woman like that, I just wish we had met under different circumstances."

Tom went to her and enfolded her in his arms. He stroked her face and dried her tears. "You are a truly beautiful and remarkable woman. You have suffered more than any woman has a right to but still you have managed to raise two wonderful girls, who are a real credit to you. You are a successful business woman who has the respect of all those in the town. You do not need to compete with anyone.

"If I were free, then yes it would be easy to fall for you. You have a deep strength of character and a strong will that I admire. You have done what was needed, when it was needed to protect those you love."

It was then that Eleanor, hearing voices, came in. Seeing what was happening, she came over to them and also put her arms around them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.