Invasion
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Tom went to see Felix. He was pleased to see Felix was up and about.

"Hello, Felix. How are you today?"

"I'm feeling a lot better, thank you, Sire. I hear we've won. I take it we've got a lot more 'volunteers' to take part in our road building program, now."

Tom laughed and said, "Yes, and that's why I'm here to see you. If you're feeling up to it I'd like to go and select some 'volunteers' as you have so succinctly called them, and get started."

"Certainly, Sire. I'm ready whenever you are. I'll just get my things and join you."

He collected his things and together they went to build the road. They selected a squad of around fifty and set them to work. Tom explained what needed to be done, and Felix ensured it was carried out. After the first group had the idea more men were selected and trained.

After two weeks things were settling down at Dampford. Good progress was being made on the road, farmland was being cleared and a good crop of spring barley was planted, along with other crops. Barns and enclosures for animals were built. All in all, things were looking much better and most of those taken prisoner were found useful work to do. Those of the wounded that were going to recover were making good progress, and Paul and Janice had a little more time for each other.

For the first time in as long as they could both remember they were able to indulge in a lazy morning in bed, just the two of them. Martha had taken to playing with other children in the town. It was one of the other things that Tom had Judith organise, a nursery-cum-crèche for those women with children who wished to work. The girls, Ruby and Lillian, whom Sir Rolof had saved, were helping to run it. Martha was a great hit with them all.

This had given them a lot more time together. As they lay there, basking in the afterglow of their love, Janice turned to Paul.

"My darling, it looks like we are winning. Tom seems to getting very close to Eleanor. Do you think he will stay here with us and not go back?"

Paul smiled as he said, "No, my darling, he won't. He has a wife back home whom he loves very much. I think his attraction to Eleanor started out as a reaction to the shock he suffered, but she is a really beautiful woman, and I think they both need this to deal with the trauma of this war. They have both suffered great loss. Eleanor the loss of her husband, and Tom feels the loss of each man personally. After the fight at Battle Valley he went and spoke to the families of all those who were lost. He grieved with them, and also gave them a share of any loot. He also made sure that they would be looked after. So no, Tom will not be staying here."

"That's a shame, for he and Queen Eleanor do make a lovely couple."

Paul sat up at this. "Queen Eleanor? When did this happen?"

"It's what everyone in the town is calling her. Since she has married Tom, then surely she is his Queen?"

"Married? When did they marry? I haven't heard anything about this!"

"It's the custom here that if you live with someone, and share their bed for more than a week, then you are married. Since we have been here three weeks now, and they have been together for the last two, then according to our custom they are married and because of that she is Queen."

Paul was flabbergasted at this. Then it dawned on him. "And what of us? Are we married?"

She looked at him with a worried look in her eye and said, "Of course we are. Why? Don't you want to be?"

"Of course I do but I thought we were going to wait until we could return home to your family and have a big celebration, there." Seeing the hurt in her eyes, he held her tightly. "Nothing has made me happier than being with you. I intend to stay here with you for the rest of my life."

She clung to him, and kissed him, passionately. It was almost afternoon before they finally emerged from their bedchamber.

As they left the bedchamber Paul turned to Janice. "I cannot wait to see Tom's face when we inform him of this wonderful local custom!"

She looked at the almost childish glee on Paul's face and shook her head.

"Men! Honestly!"

They went down for a brunch and later they went for a stroll by the river. They walked arm in arm taking in the sights just enjoying each other's company. They sat by an oxbow lake and watched as those children lucky enough to have time to spare played and enjoyed their childhood. There was a tree with an overhanging branch by the river. Some of the older ones were teasing a younger one to go out farther on the branch.

"Chicken!" called one.

"You're scared," said another.

"Karl, come back!" said an older girl of about twelve. "You'll fall, and you can't swim!"

"I'll be all right!" Karl declared but fear was evident in his voice.

"Bet you can't get right to the end!" said the first boy.

"Gunter, you leave him alone!" the girl shouted

The boy just turned and stuck his tongue out.

Paul and Janice watched this scene unfold with trepidation. They knew what was about to happen. Paul stood up and removed his heavy coat. He could see the boy going farther and farther along the branch. Suddenly the branch bent downward with an ominous crack. The boy froze.

"I'm stuck!" he cried. "Help! Somebody help me!"

"Bloody kids!" Paul exclaimed. "Be careful! Stay there; I'm coming"

He ran towards the children. He could see the branch dipping down closer towards the water. Just as he reached the tree the branch broke and both it and the boy plunged into the icy water.

The girl screamed. "Karl, Karl, where are you?"

There was no sign of the boy.

Paul pulled his boots off and leapt into the lake. He rushed over to where the boy had fallen in. He could not see him. The lake was surprisingly deep, up to his chin; he dived under the water to search for the child. He found the branch, and by moving his hands along it, soon located the child. He had his leg entangled in some weeds, and in his panic couldn't get free.

Paul drew his knife and cut the weeds, freeing the boy's leg. Then he dragged the child out of the water and brought him to the bank. The boy was gasping and choking, and was then violently sick. Paul bent him forward to ensure that he did not inhale any vomit. The boy calmed down, but then started to shiver. He started to strip the boy of his sodden clothing. Paul was also starting to feel the effects of the cold.

He looked over to the boy named Gunter.

"You, boy, give me your coat!"

The boy looked a little reluctant, but he did as he was ordered.

Paul wrapped Karl in it and then called to the girl.

"I take it you're his sister? What's your name?"

She nodded and replied, "Griselda."

"Okay, Griselda, come here and cuddle him. Keep him warm."

The girl came over and held her brother tightly, silent tears streaming down her face. Paul then stripped off his wet tunic and put on his coat. Janice had rushed over and immediately took her coat off as well to wrap the child as warmly as possible.

"Come! Let's get him back to the hospital," Janice told them.

Paul turned to Gunter and the other boy, and spoke almost harshly.

"Go and tell their parents what has happened! Tell them that we will meet them at the hospital."

The two boys nodded and ran off.

They made their way back to the hospital, and soon were joined by Griselda and Karl's parents.

The mother, a large voluminous woman, came sweeping in. She gathered her children up and clasped them to her monstrous bosom. "My babies, my babies!"

The father, a far less demonstrative man, calmly walked over to Paul and Janice.

Taking Paul by the hand he said,

"Thank you, Sire! If not for you we might have lost young Karl. That would have broken his mother's heart. He's the last surviving boy of four. The others died, one of plague, the other two were killed by those bastard slavers. If we had lost Karl, well, I don't know what would have happened."

"It's all right, Mama, we're fine," Karl said to his mother. "I just fell in the lake, that's all. There's no need to make such a fuss."

The woman had calmed a little and though she was still quietly sobbing released her children from her grasp. She looked at them both and started weeping again, smothering both children in kisses.

Her husband came up beside her, held her, and started talking to her quietly.

"It's all right, my dear. They're fine ... just a little wet, that's all. We need to get them some dry clothes and then some warm broth. Then they'll be fine. Come now. We'll go and get some dry clothes for them. While we're doing that, Lord Paul and his Angels will look after them both."

As he said this, he gently eased his wife away from the children, and allowed Paul and Janice to see to Karl.

Janice stood there with tears running down her face. She saw the worry and fear in the woman's eyes, the fear that she would lose yet another of her children ... and maybe, this time, her mind. It was then that Janice realised just how fragile the woman was, and how strong her husband had to be for her.

They checked Karl over and he was fine. He was just cold and wet. Some blankets and were found and the child was wrapped up in them.

"I expect you're both hungry, aren't you?" Paul asked the children

Both children nodded. Two bowls of hot stew were brought and a loaf of bread. The children sat down to eat. Their parents returned with some dry clothes for Karl. Stew was found for them as well.

Paul had also dried himself off and changed. As the family was preparing to leave, the husband came over to him.

"My Lord, I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for our family today. I just wish there was some way we could repay you. It was not only my son you saved today, but my wife, also.

"If we had lost my son, today, it would have killed her. We have lost so much recently. I thought she would lose her mind. She is hanging on ... just. She would not be able to take another loss like that. I don't think I could either."

Paul clasped the man's arm and replied, "That's okay. That's what we are here for, to help. I'm only glad I was able to help."

Just then Griselda spoke up.

"Um, Lord Paul?" she stood there, nervously. "How do I go about training to be an Angel? I felt so helpless today. There was nothing I could do! I never want to feel like that again! Could you train me so I can help people like you do?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.