Crisis at Ishtar
Chapter 46: Visiting Captains

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Joyal

Bethany walked forward once Brad had left the room. I was puzzled by her action until she reached down to pick up something. It took just a moment for me to recognize that it was the uniform Captain Gates had been wearing when she first arrived.

"We definitely should return that to her soon," I said.

Bethany nodded, but made no move to exit the transporter room. Instead, she walked over to stand next to me at the control panel. I turned to ask her a question as the speakers started to squawk.

"James! I demand to listen in on any reports made to Borneo. As governor I need to know anything we are reporting," Colonel Johanes shouted.

"If we decide to send a report, we'll inform you," James snapped. "Right now the only issue we are sure of is that Cabo has lost a few crew and will need to stop at Borneo or Kelor and pick up some replacements."

"You don't have any here?" Colonel Johanes asked.

"Please tell me he's volunteering," Bethany muttered.

"We don't exactly have extra people," Yvette reminded the governor. "And contrary to whatever you appear to believe, we are valued by Borneo Command."

There was a flashing light on the control panel. It indicated that Terrence was trying to activate the unit's intercom. I switched the system on. "Yes?" I asked.

"You can shut down for now," Terrence said. "I'll escort Alexis back to our side of the colony once she's done. See if James has anything more for you to do."

I did not reply, but began working at the control panel. The first thing I activated was a transporter block, which would prevent anyone from sending someone to the pad. Then I put the system into standby mode so that the block would be maintained. Bethany watched me work and, when the last display faded to gray, nodded.

"Shall we check on our lord and master?" she asked.

"Definitely," I said. "And you can return the uniform at the same time."

"It was nice to see. If I understood it, Captain Travis was originally a concubine and belonged to Captain Gates," Bethany said.

I shivered. "You couldn't get me to train and retest. I want to stay with James."

Bethany gave me a hug. She bent down so her lips were right next to my ear. "Want to know a secret? So do I."

We left the room and started the short walk back to the command post. As we approached we could see Brad pinned to the wall by his two concubines. They had their hands on his shoulders as he held his two children. The expression on Brad's face was a combination of pride and anxiety. Bethany and I did not stop, but from what little we overhead, the two ladies were quite upset at the danger Brad had accepted by attacking the marine.

We entered the command post to discover that Brad's actions were the main topic of discussion. James was standing calmly in the middle of the room and glaring at one of the ceiling speakers.

"I don't know how you spirited that man out of the transporter room, but I want him," Colonel Johanes said.

Bethany moved away from me, heading for the briefing room and carrying Captain Gates' uniform. I headed over to James. As I reached him, Janice reached out to give me a hug.

"He's important to the work we do," James said. "From what I have been able to determine, he only did what was necessary to allow him to complete his assigned tasks."

"He assaulted a higher ranking marine!" Major Bonham snapped. "If we are going to keep order and discipline on this planet, he must be punished for his actions."

"Look," James said. I could hear the strained patience in his voice. He sounded more than a little annoyed at the situation. "No one is denying that Brad got into an altercation with..."

"Corporal Schmidt!" Major Bonham roared. "A man with more than two years of service. Your friend is nothing more than an untrained private."

"Really?" James asked dangerously. "So your man was trained and qualified on transporters and in specific the remote platforms we use?"

"You know that we haven't had time to do that!" Major Bonham shouted. "But your man could have worked with Corporal Schmidt rather than attack him. The attack was completely unnecessary."

"Your man interfered," Yvette replied. "When a ship arrives we don't have time to explain how things work. I've talked to Brad. He ran into the room ready to take control of the transporter and your man refused to allow him to power up the console. He demanded that Brad explain everything."

"I ordered him to do that!" Major Bonham said. "You had made it clear that you weren't going to train anyone."

"When?" James asked. "You've only been here four days, and we've had more than one ship arrive with damage. You never requested training for anyone. If you were to ask, we can set up a training session for him."

"But that will be a private session in a visitor briefing room," Yvette said. "We need to keep training sessions concentrated on training."

"He should bring one of his concubines," Colonel Johanes offered. "It will be a good way to relax and make sure that the trainee isn't worried about unimportant things."

"If it's unimportant," James said in a near monotone. "Why are you bringing it up?"

Major Bonham rallied. "The whole idea behind having concubines was to keep the military from forgetting why they fought. Why can't you just help us out?"

"Because that isn't how we do things here," James said. "Our concubines are valued members of the community. What you keep demanding goes against the traditions we keep on Ishtar."

"Who cares about traditions!" Colonel Johanes shouted.

"We do," Yvette responded. "Now, I know you want to talk more, but right now we have two ship captains here and need to prepare a report for Admiral Himmel."

"I want to be part of that meeting!" Colonel Johanes screamed. "I should be part of preparing any reports."

"There won't be that much to say," Tiffany responded. "All we will be reporting is the arrival of each ship, the damage, and the time to get them back into service. We also let Borneo know how many casualties each ship has suffered so that replacements can be readied. The whole goal here is to turn the ships quickly and allow them to stay in the fight."

"What? That makes no sense. This is a research station!" Colonel Johanes screamed.

"Who told you that?" James asked. "We were never told to do research. The discovery of the artifacts was because we tried to do some scouting of local systems in support of Borneo. Our original mission profile was that we would be a repair and refit station for naval units. Remember that we are inside the Sa'arm sphere of influence. None of the people dropped here would have been high on anyone's list of scientific or military minds. We were all considered expendable."

"I'm not expendable!" Colonel Johanes screamed. "I have some skills vital to the research and development of new weapons."

"It's a bit hard to develop weapons when you spend hours pretending to administrate a planet," Yvette muttered. It was so soft I barely caught it, but I could see James nodding.

Bethany put her hand on my shoulder and whispered. "Let's go check on the captains. It sounds like Colonel Johanes is being useless again."

"Can he really be useful here?" I asked as Bethany walked past me and toward the briefing room. She did not stop so I scrambled to join her. My sister concubine smiled as we made our way to the door. Inside the briefing room we could hear a very happy conversation.

"I can't believe we are both now at Kelor!" one of the two ladies screamed. It sounded like Captain Travis, but I could not be sure. I paused to check, but Bethany swept into the room.

"I thought you might want your uniform back," my sister concubine called out as she entered.

I heard the two captains giggle. Worried, I followed Bethany into the room. Inside I found her holding the uniform in her arms and looking at the two captains.

Captain Gates had claimed one of the chairs and was sitting down. She had her arms around Captain Travis who was sitting on her lap. It was clear that the reunion was going well, as Captain Travis' uniform was open to her waist and Captain Gates' right hand was underneath the cloth.

"I think we interrupted something," I said to Bethany, hoping to get her to move.

"Don't worry," Captain Gates said. Her right hand was clearly caressing Captain Travis. "We wouldn't be quite that blatant. We were just getting reacquainted. It turns out that we are now stationed on the same planet. But Dawn's ship was not home when I arrived and was given command of Cancun. Now I get a chance to try to correct a horrible mistake I made."

"Not that horrible," Dawn said. "I have to admit that I don't regret leaving Earth with you."

"I left you alone and refused to see the love you had for me," Captain Gates said. "We did do a quick debrief first. We agreed that the Sa'arm have started to figure out a way to strike back when we stage a raid, but we can use our maneuverability to avoid many of their attacks."

"But both of your ships were so damaged," I said. Immediately I dropped to my knees and covered my mouth with my hands.

The two captains both laughed. "That's going to happen. The Sa'arm do tend to fire a lot of weapons. Even with the best possible crew, your ship takes hits. The goal is to dodge enough so that no attack makes a direct hit," Captain Travis said. "When you can manage that, you do take damage, but your crew survives. Patrician class ships are tough."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.