The Mission
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

Suddenly I felt the proverbial 'Light' come on.

I always had a feeling that the kidnapping of the two women could not justify all the expense and security that was in place. Now I knew why. There was not one treasure, there were many treasures. If there were many treasures; then, perhaps, there were many people after them.

Why the Russians were so involved, though, was still a mystery to me. Money could always be a motivator but the effort, the people, and the material that they had put expended was far greater than money alone could justify. It also seemed strange that so much was centered in France. I would have expected that Germany would be the place where Odessa would want to rebuild.

We would soon be going to the Netherlands. Club number 3 was getting ready to open, and preparations were being made. As usual, the Russians were already there. They had arranged for security and transportation; and, unlike number 1 in Spain, and number 2 near Paris, a house had also been procured. I say house, but it was actually a series of houseboats. Twelve large and luxurious houseboats were anchored at a dock near the club. Nearby were warehouses and two open fields.

As our departure drew closer, Marcia and Max started acting like caged animals. They were not pacing back and forth, but the looks on their faces and the sharp tones in which they spoke, indicated something was wrong. Two days before our departure, Sparkle joined the act. I now had three girls who were winding themselves up so tight that they were all ready to explode.

They all asked me to join them outside, by the pool. When I did, no birthday suits, bikinis, thongs or any usual methods to cripple my mind were to be seen. Instead, they were all dressed as though we were invited to a party at Versailles. I stared. In the sunlight, shining rings, necklaces and tiaras blinded me. I immediately realized how Sparkle had gotten her nickname. I kidded them by asking if both the King and Queen were coming, since they all looked like Royalty. It did not have the joke value I thought it would as they all started crying.

I started to apologize when there were sounds outside that I had never heard before. In the sky overhead a dozen SU-27 fighter jets were swirling around. In the garden, several brigades of red capped guards, in dress uniforms and armed with AK-93 assault rifles made a red carpeted line up. As 6 Super Hinds hovered, what must have been the world's largest helicopter began to land.

"It's Tatiana!" Max said.

They hurried outside and I followed.

When it landed, the engines were not shut down but continued at idle. A dozen men ... all dressed in tailored black suits, mirrored sun glasses, and each carrying what looked like machine pistols ... emerged from the giant craft. Two more men came down followed by a woman, dressed like the Queen of England. She was holding the hands of two young girls; also dressed as though they were Royalty. Four more men followed.

Max, Marcia, and Sparkle were on their knees, not in a curtesy or bow, but lying prostrate at the feet of the three.

"I am Tatiana Romanoff. On my left is the Princess Ramona De Bartalli, my niece; and on my right is Princess Sophia Maria Costa, my daughter. Let us go inside, my people are getting concerned. You don't want them that way."

I bowed and slowly moved my arm to direct them inside. After she had passed the girls rose and followed them into the house.

"What have you told him?" asked Tatiana.

"Nothing yet, your highness." whispered Sparkle.

"He has met the Baron, and I have told him about the Odessa treasure; but nothing else," Max chimed in.

"My Father was always a lover of drama," she said. "I guess, the past has always been more pleasant for us than the present. Sit," she commanded.

During the next hour or so, another story was told, and with the telling sprang forth more treasures.

Shortly after the turn of the 19th century, 'White Russia' was in upheaval. Most of the nobility was in flight; a few of the Cossacks and Imperial guards were making whatever wealth, gems, and artwork they could more secure in new locations.

When the Tsar and his family were overthrown, some of the Imperial Guard was able to escape with yet one more treasure. Hundreds of the fabulous eggs of Karl Fabergé, and thousands of jeweled Icons were included. They were able to spirit away some Romanoff relatives as well.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.