The Mission
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Lapi

I had nothing from which to judge, but it seemed that our first two nights out at the club had been a success. Max later informed me that I had been a horse's ass. The idea that such a club would help people was not very practical. I think she was still mad at me for my treatment of Li. I never thought what I did would make Max jealous, but it did.

That whole week, not only was Max cool to me, but also made it a point to let everyone know she was upset with me. Most of my people, that were going to show up, did. One morning, at breakfast, I told Max of my decision.

"Max, you don't seem to want me around. I have sent my four people back and I am leaving. I will give the Baron back everything remaining of the money. One of the cars will drive me back to the chateau. Good bye."

I turned and headed to the waiting car. This whole thing had just been too much, too quickly. Everything we did were things Max had arranged. We had never talked about things, nor, I guess, would we discuss future actions.

I needed time to think. The car ride would let me formulate what I would tell the Baron. Max may be upset, but this recent cold shoulder had shown me that it was to be her way or the highway. I had chosen the highway. As we drew nearer to the chateau, I asked the driver to stop in the city so I could rent a car. He said he could drive me anywhere. I handed him an envelope, and asked him to give it to the Baron. Inside was a note explaining what had happened in Spain, the changes I had arranged with Carlos and Li, and the remaining funds. I told him I was resigning, due to personal issues.

The driver dropped me off to get a car and drove off. I made a call to Paulie, thanked him for the opportunity, and told him that it had not worked out. I told him I was taking another assignment, and would contact him in a few months to explain.

I was never a people person. My entire life was limited first to me, then later to a few associates. How Max had wormed her way into my life was, at first, heaven. Later, after the incident with Li, it turned into hell. No amount of money was worth what she was putting me through.

I really needed some time alone. My next assignment would certainly give me that. Hell, I could even pretend that the target was Max; I would then be rid of her memory. Back to real work, I thought.


At some 'hide' in the countryside:

It was not that it would be a hard climb, but that it would take a long time. The site had been prepared years ago. At a time that even the houses and compounds had not been built. In 2008 the average kill range was 1,000 - 1,500 meters. Most kills required two shots, or even more if armour or plate glass was in use. The site was within the mountain itself and had tunnels leading out six sides. Normally an ascent like this would be done under the cover of darkness, but now, in 2014, the use of drones, thermal imaging and comparative mapping from satellites made daytime the best time to advance. For some reason, more data gathering than comparison was being done in the day.

I had taken the Mark VIII thermal scope and a Bowden Eliminator chambered for a .416 round. These combined the range of the .50, and the variety of cartridges for the .338 Lapua. This .416 had computer controls, and three of the newer rounds could be configured while in flight. The Sabot, Accelerator, and Exploding round could also be guided on target from remote aerial and satellite guidance.

Vehicle penetration and sheer energy did not match the depleted uranium .50, but the range and accuracy of the .416 made it an ideal choice against soft targets. The Sabot round would defeat all body armour and glass, while the other rounds, except the mercury-filled, would kill at a range of two miles away.

Even until 2012, just over one mile was the best range the .416 could achieve. Thermal-free hood, gloves, boots, vest and pants were always worn under the white or camo outerwear. Heating and cooling sections were used to keep the user comfortable. Breath usually needed to be cooled, so doing this while heating the body required special gear. Weight was always the limiting factor. Hydro packs kept water cool or warm but food was more like that in a spacecraft, and only small amounts of ammo could be carried. The old maxim of 'one shot, one kill' was always in mind.

The hide had been provisioned with food (tasteless), water, limited ammo and some of the old .338 Lapua and .50 Barrett weapons. A few hides had begun to include the .416 but none here had those or any of the thermal scopes. Breathing air was cooled or heated within the vest before it was discharged to match the ambient temperature. This kill was to be about four miles and should not be considered possible because of the distance. Time was a slight problem but it was other things, which made this a difficult assignment. I knew at least two other assets would be there, but I hoped that the message that would be broadcast would make multiple kills un-necessary.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.