The Engineer's Tale - Cover

The Engineer's Tale

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 3

As they neared the inn, Tony noticed some children standing about, shivering in the snow.

"Who are they, and what are they doing here? And where are their shoes? They'll catch their death like that." He asked

"Oh, they're Adolph's brats. They're always hanging around outside, don't want to go home. Adolph must be at home drunk again. Nasty piece of work that one; violent towards women; likes to knock his missus about." Wolfgang told him.

This was the one thing about Chaos that Tony had real trouble understanding. There was no concept of charity, no concept of philanthropy. If you were hungry: Tough! If you were homeless: Tough! If you were sick: Tough! If someone abused you: Tough! He just could not, and would not, live like that.

Tony walked over towards the children. There were three of them, a boy of about twelve, and two girls, one nine, and the other about six. As he approached the children they just looked up at him with glassy, vacant expressions.

"Are you hungry?" asked Tony.

They nodded their heads.

"Come with me then," he said.

They went towards the inn with Wolfgang looking on in puzzlement. "What are your names?" asked Tony

"I'm Peter, she's Helga, and the little one is called Freda." The boy told Tony.

The littlest one rubbed herself against Tony's leg. "That's so warm" she said.

He could feel her shivering even through his thick furs. He undid the top of his jacket, picked her up and tucked her into his coat as much as he could. She was frozen, poor thing. She was shivering so much he could hear her teeth chattering. She put her arms around him and whispered "Thank you." laying her head on his shoulder and snuggling down as much as possible.

It was a strange sight that entered the inn. Tony carrying Freda, with Wolfgang, Peter and Helga following. Tony ordered stew for all, although he himself did have a little trouble eating as Freda refused point blank to leave his lap.

"NO I WONT!" She told her brother in no uncertain terms when he asked her to get down. "I'M STAYING HERE. I'M WARM!" She shouted at him.

Tony managed to eat his stew, and so did the children. They were starved. After they were finished, Tony looked at Peter.

"Tell me Peter, why were the three of you out in the cold today?" He asked.

"My father is drunk. When he is drunk, he hits us. It's better to be cold than to be beaten." He told him. Tony could feel the rage rising within him.

"Tell me" he asked, doing his best to keep a lid on his anger, "when did you last eat?" he asked

"We had some bread this morning," said Peter

"We found a dead cat. We cooked it over a fire. It wasn't very nice though. We couldn't get all the fur off." Freda said.

Tony's flared. He went white with rage. He felt like screaming. Children were suffering like this and nobody seemed to care. When he thought about it though, it really was no different from home. He looked up at the innkeeper.

"Tell me Jorgen," he asked. "How much to feed these children one meal a day for a year? A good meal?"

"Well, I don't know," the innkeeper replied, "Two pinches each meal, that's ahh..."

It was obvious that the maths was beyond him.

"Very well," said Tony, "Would a conch take care of it?"

Everyone in the place stopped and looked at this man. A conch? For Adolph's brats? Just to feed them? Tony saw their reaction. "And" he continued, "When their father is drunk you let them come in here in the warm. Peter and Helga can help clear tables, and little Freda can sit by the fire. If they need to stay over night you make up a spare bed for them. What do you say? A conch. For a year."

He could see the gleam in the Jorgen's eyes. A conch? That was a fortune. Well, if this man was stupid enough to throw his money around like that then he was stupid enough to accept.

"It's a deal." The man said.

Tony looked at Wolfgang and the rest of the people there. "I am placing you all under oath here to what Jorgen has pledged. Food and a safe bed for all three for the next year. I will ask each and every one of you to try and find honest work for these three over the next year. I wish them to be able to pay their own way after that." He told them. "Now, lets get the children some warm clothes. Oh, and that's another thing. I'm going to get these children some warm clothing. If I find Adolph has sold it to anyone I will not be happy. Trust me! You don't want to see me unhappy!"

He took the children back out into the cold to go to Grettle's. Freda would not go until Tony wrapped her up in his jacket and carried her there. He walked into the shop and told Grettle what he wanted. He also told her that he wanted the children to work for a living. She looked at the older girl.

"Can you sew?" she asked

Helga shook her head. "But I can learn" she told her.

"Hm, don't know about the little one though" said Grettle

"I can learn too" said Freda in her best grown up voice.

The crowd that had accompanied them chuckled at this. 'Good' Thought Tony. 'Now they have a chance, they're not being seen as just Adolph's brats.'

"I can help too" said Peter "I'm strong, I can lift things and help in the shop."

Grettle looked at him and smiled. She'd always had a soft spot for Peter, despite his drunken father. He always looked out for his sisters, always sharing whatever they found, always seeing that his sisters got an equal share. She was older now, nearly fifty. Her children were grown and gone, and since the fever had carried off her Ernst, well, it would be nice to hear some youngsters around the place.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.