The Engineer's Tale
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Tony emerged into the vault in the bank. He placed his finger into the hole in the machine, and his storage box appeared. He removed his warmest clothes, his weapons and his saddle, closed and returned his box and went to leave the vault. As he stepped through the door of the vault the first thing he noticed was not the smell, but the cold. It was freezing. Even though he was wrapped up like Nanook of the North, he felt frozen. He had every scrap of his clothing on, but the cold seemed to just go straight through him.

He went onto the street and found that instead of the usual stinking mud and filth, the ground was frozen hard. He looked up and down the street but could not see the stables. He went towards the nearest inn. He walked in and asked for some food and hot wine. He usually drank beer, but it was so cold that hot wine was a better bet.

"Not from round here are you," said the barman. It was a statement rather than a question.

"No, I'm not." Tony answered. "Tell me, what do you call this place?"

"We call it Branwold. Why do you ask?" he asked

"I like to know where I am." Tony replied.

"Hm, fair enough. Looking for the stables are you?" he asked nodding to the saddle perched on Tony's shoulder.

"Yes, I am actually. Could you tell me where they are?" he replied

"Yes, there down past the store, last place before you leave town. You going there now or you going to eat first?" he enquired

"I'll eat first. Tell me; is it always this cold? I'm frightened to piss outside in case it freezes off." Tony told him.

The man laughed. "It's exceptionally cold this year. It doesn't help that we've had some crowd coming round claiming to be some kind of brotherhood. They say they're the government around here and we've got to pay some taxes. We told them we don't need no government and told them to clear off. They tried to make a fight of it so we chased them off. They've been raiding the outlying farms. Food's starting to get more expensive. We'll have to get together soon and do something about them. They're becoming a real nuisance."

"Yes I've heard others say the same thing. They like taking slaves as well. Seem to think they can just come round, steal your wife and children, and you'll just sit there and take it." Tony told him.

"If they try that sort of stuff round here they'll get a bloody shock I'll tell you!" the man growled.

"Just let them try! The names Jorgen by the way"

Tony smiled "Nice to meet you Jorgen, my name's Tony."

"Okay Tony, I'll just get your food, won't be long." he said.

Jorgen went off and fetched Tony's food and wine. It was good. The stew was hot and filling, and the wine warmed him right through.

"This is good stuff," said Tony.

"Thanks" said Jorgen. "It'll keep you warm, warmer then those clothes you're wearing will. You need seal skin and beaver, not sheepskin and rabbit. Go and see Grettle. Tell her I sent you, she'll see you right."

"Thanks, er, where do I find Grettle?" Tony asked.

"She runs the store, next to the stables." Jorgen replied.

Tony finished his stew and wine, paid the man and went to find the stables. As he walked the wind cut through him like a knife. 'Okay' he thought 'first stop Grettle's.' He found the store easily enough. As he walked in, an older lady in her late forties came out.

"Can I help you?" she enquired

"Yes" said Tony "I'm looking for Grettle."

"Well you've found her, now what do you want?" she replied.

"Jorgen recommended you for some warmer clothing. These aren't up to the job apparently," he said.

She took one look and said, "No, you're right, they're not. You'll freeze first night out in those. Come with me, we'll get you some warmer ones."

She took him by the hand and led him into the back of the shop. Reaching up to a large pile of furs, she said, "Here, try this on. It should fit you."

He struggled into the furs he was offered. They did seem to fit quite well, and more importantly, they were very warm, too warm in fact for indoors. She next looked at his boots.

"They're no good," she told him. "They'll allow the heat to escape out the bottom. You need these," she said handing him a pair of fur moccasins. "Wear them with the fur inside, keeps the heat in" she also gave him what looked like large tennis rackets. "Snow shoes," she told him "Stop you sinking down into the snow, won't get very far without these. Also I have some of these." She handed him a fine pair of wooden skis, and a pair of poles. "If you're travelling far, then these will help. Finally she came out with what looked like a small teepee that was only about 5' tall, not big enough to stand or sleep in.

"What's this for?" asked Tony perplexed

"Its a shit tent. When you need a piss or shit, you put this up and crouch down inside. You don't want to be squatting out in the open. If you do your testicles could turn to icicles, and you don't even want to imagine the effect of frostbite on your dick. I'll tell you what, you let that happen and your days of becoming a father will be over!" she laughed.

Tony shuddered at the prospect and thanked her profusely. He ordered an extra set of clothes, for, he told her, his intended, and received another set of furs. She threw in a large fur blanket as well. Again he thanked her and paid for his purchases and went next door to the stables. As he went outside he felt the difference immediately. He was almost warm. He looked around and saw that even in the town the snow was between twelve and eighteen inches deep. 'How am I going to get through this he thought, if it's this deep in town, it's going to be much deeper out in the country.'

He walked into the stables and saw the owner. He was a big man with a ruddy face, a cheery smile and the biggest hands Tony had ever seen.

"Hello sir, how can I help you? The name's Wolfgang," The man said with a booming voice.

Tony stood there loaded up like some poor overloaded packhorse. "Hi I'm Tony. I'm looking for a horse, but I'm concerned about taking one out in these conditions. I don't know how well they'd do with such deep snow." He said, dropping his load onto the floor. It was warm in the stables so Tony took off his gloves.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.