Duel and Duality;  Book 1 of Poacher's Progress - Cover

Duel and Duality; Book 1 of Poacher's Progress

Copyright© 2012 by Jack Green

Chapter 27: Caroline Vanner

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 27: Caroline Vanner - Follow Jack Greenaway, lawyer's apprentice and poacher, from Lincoln to Waterloo and beyond, as he experiences the life and loves of a soldier in Wellington's army, in war and in peace. He battles with Napoleon's troops abroad and Luddites at home, finds his true love (twice!) and eventually faces his nemesis on the duelling ground. All references to snuff in this novel apply to the tobacco product, and should not be confused with 21st Century usage.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Historical   Oral Sex   Violence   Prostitution   Military  

I heard the clock on the tower of Hampton Court Palace strike five. Amy was due to meet me at six that evening, so I made sure the room was tidy, and the fire was giving out a good heat. The rooms at the White Hart were far superior to those of the Bell, as each were furnished with a large, well sprung bed with clean linen, two comfortable armchairs, a table with four ladder back chairs, and in front of the fire place a large thick woollen rug, which reminded me of the fleece at the Anchor.

The Curzon Players had an afternoon performance at Richmond House, which was just across the River Thames from the Inn. Amy only had a small part in the first act, and she would slip away after her scene.

The River Thames is a major thoroughfare, and river craft, chiefly wherries, are constantly carrying goods and passengers up and down river, and from one bank to the other. Every riverside Inn, like the White Hart, has a jetty and unloading dock, where goods and passengers were embarked or disembarked.

It was just after six when I heard the sound of a wherry docking at the jetty belonging to the White Hart, and a few moments later there was a light tapping on the door of my room. Opening it, I was surprised to see not Amy, but an older, taller, woman. She wore a hooded cloak over her dress and the hood shadowed her face.

"Captain Elijah Greenaway?" Her voice was well modulated, and of good breeding. I nodded, still in a state of shock at not seeing Amy. She held out her hand. "I am Caroline Vanner; I am a friend of Amy's..."

"What's wrong? --Is she not well?--What has happened?" In my haste to ask after Amy I had not kissed, or shook her hand, and she withdrew it.

"Nothing is wrong." She spoke somewhat sharply."Amy is unable to keep her appointment with you, and I am here in her stead."

I quickly remembered my manners. "Madame, please accept my apologies for my impolitness." I bowed. "Pray come in, and take off your cloak."

She moved gracefully across the room, giving it a woman's quick, imperceptible, inspection. It must have been to her taste for she threw back her hood and removed her cloak, handing it to me with the air of someone used to having servants in attendance.

She wasn't what you would call pretty, and certainly not beautiful, and yet there was a certain sensuous attractiveness about her. Her medium brown hair was worn in the fashion of the day, with a mid-parting; her eyes were brown, and sparkled with intelligence and wit; her mouth was inviting, if a trifle wide. Underneath a red velvet Spencer jacket she wore a simple but modish dress of Oxford blue, which went well with her complexion.

"I hope I pass muster, Captain." She smiled, and I noted that her teeth were shining white and even, and that the smile extended to her eyes.

"Certainly, Madame. Forgive me staring, but I was expecting Miss Amy Fairfax, and you are not who I would imagine as a friend of Amy."

She sat in the armchair at the side the hearth, pulling the skirt of her dress around her legs.

"Amy has told me much about you Captain. I feel as if I know you already. May I be permitted to call you Elijah?" I nodded, and she continued. "You may call me Caroline, but before I explain my presence here I hope we will soon eat? I am famished, and have been looking forward to my supper these past two hours." Once again she unleashed that eye crinkling smile of hers.

Amy and I had arranged this meeting sometime before I had issued the challenge to Braxton-Clark, and it was in fact to celebrate my birthday with a night of unfettered love making, as we had denied ourselves that pleasure for some considerable time.

I had ordered a meal that would give us the energy to gallop at length: a huge plateful of oysters and two quarts of Black Velvet, which is reckoned, by the dissolutes that surround the Prince Regent, to be able to raise the libido of even the most lacklustre of males. Amy had stipulated that other foods, known for their aphrodisiac properties, such as asparagus, figs, and honey, were to be included in the meal.

I was embarrassed that Caroline Vanner would guess at what entertainment I had planned with Amy when she saw the food being brought in. However, there was nothing for it but to call down to have my supper served, and almost immediately Mine Host, along with several serving girls, brought in the victuals. Caroline came to the laden table, pulled up a chair and sat down and started to load her plate with oysters.

"I know these were for Amy, but I'm sure she would not begrudge me having them in her stead."

The smile she gave was only slightly dimmed by the mouthful of oyster she slipped down her throat, and in no time at all the plate was cleared and we had started on the other viands. I filled Caroline's tankard from the flagon of Black Velvet, which she quaffed as readily as any man. In fact, the way she ate and drank was not particularly unladylike, but most women would not have shown their appreciation of the provender as avidly as she did.

Personally, I like to see food and drink enjoyed, and this woman certainly displayed the signs of thoroughly enjoying whatever was placed before her. The salmon, the steak, and in fact all the accompaniments, were greeted with gusto and swiftly consumed, with all the sounds of evident relish. The dessert was compote of honeyed figs. Caroline gave me a knowing look, and the suspicion of a wink, before this also vanished in a trice. We then had nuts and cheese and apples, to finish off what had been a very enjoyable meal, even if not shared with the woman for whom it had been intended.

Caroline pushed her chair back from the table, and, after draining her tankard, indicated that it should be refilled, as her sharp white teeth crunched on a red apple.

She said, as she chomped on the fruit – behaviour also thought to be rather unladylike – "Well Elijah, you certainly know the way to a woman's heart, and other parts, by the food you have chosen." She smiled, and then said quietly. "It would be a shame for all that love-inducing food to be wasted, -- but let us first talk."

I was astonished by her words. Did she intend that we should continue in the same manner as I and Amy would have had after the meal, or did I misunderstand her meaning? Caroline went and sat back in the armchair at the side of the hearth, while I sat in its companion on the other side.

"I've known Amy Fairfax for almost four years, from the time when we were both members of Lord Curzon's Players."

She smiled as I registered astonishment at the news that she was also an actress, as she had the bearing of someone of breeding, not of the stage.

"You would be surprised what riches a stage career can bring to a young woman from the lower classes. Look at Mary Robinson and Anna Marie Crouch, to name but two. The aristocracy is filled with females who started on the stage and ensnared a titled husband. However, I come from a family of gentry which allowed its females more freedom than most families of that class, and I decided to become an actress and playwright."

Once again, I thought, a cover of a book is no indicator of what is therein.

Caroline drank from her tankard and continued. "I was the leading lady of the Players when Amy joined our troupe, and I have performed in most of Mr Sheridan and Mr Goldsmith's plays, besides writing some of my own which the Players have presented from time to time, to some acclaim. I took Amy under my wing, as she was such a sweet and vulnerable girl, who would, and did, get the attention of rakes and libertines, all eager to debauch her the first chance they got. I could see that she would make a grand lady, given the right opportunities, so I sent off those profligates that hung around her like flies around a jam pot, but steered aristocratic men, looking for a wife, towards her."

She drained her tankard, and I hastily refilled it. Her tale was drawing me in like a ragamuffin into a pie shop.

"When Madame Dyer joined the Curzon Players it soon became evident that audiences preferred to see expanses of her flesh, rather than my interpretation of Messers Sheridan, Goldsmith or Shakespeare." She laughed. "I fear the sight of my flesh, or anything else, would not have raised the slightest interest if placed on show. I left the Players then, but still kept a close interest in Amy. I still write plays, but now I have a rich protector, which precludes me from rejoining the group, even if I wanted to."

Caroline looked at me with an earnest expression.

"I have to admit I was very concerned when Amy met you. She obviously fell deeply in love, and I feared that she would throw away her chance of becoming a grand lady by marrying you."

She gave me an apologetic look. "I had instilled the perception into Amy that the only way she could have a life of her own, and not be just the adjunct of some man, was to marry well and ensure that she could indulge in her own pleasure; whatever, with whomever, and whenever she wanted. I'm sorry that it distressed you when she refused your marriage proposal, but it was in her best interests, you must believe that, Elijah. Now that I've met you I can see why Amy fell in love; you are a decent and honourable man, and had you more of a fortune I would have given my blessing."

I took a moment in thought before replying.

"It is true I was desperately unhappy when Amy told me of her plan, and that she wouldn't marry me. On reflection, I realise that the life of a woman has constraints placed on them by men, and they are not, except in special circumstances, the makers of their own destinies, but are, as you say, merely the adjuncts of males."

I told Caroline of my sister Rebekah, and how she had to leave the family home in order to be her own woman.

"Your sister sounds like someone whom I should like to meet. Well, I've told you who I am, and how I know Amy, but it is time to tell you why it is me spending such a pleasant evening with you and not her. Amy had already explained to you that she had had two suitors, and it seemed that William Wilder would be the first one to inherit?"

I nodded; Amy had given me all those details when we had first met at The White Hart, and resumed our relationship.

"Unfortunately, when Viscount Monmouth was out hunting last Friday he fell from his horse and broke his neck. Young Howard Hughes has inherited the title, and will now be Amy's husband. Actually, he will make a far better husband than that rake Wilder, being of Amy's age and more or less a virgin. The wedding cannot take place until after a suitable time of mourning, and the funeral of the late Viscount, but the betrothal will be announced in 'The Times' tomorrow."

Caroline took a drink from her tankard. "This is remarkably good champagne.I must remember to ask Mine Host who supplies him."

This indicates the difference in the palate of the aristocracy to that of the peasantry, for all I could taste was the porter.

She continued on the subject of Amy's marriage.

"The problem is that Howard's mother, the Dowager Countess, will not turn a blind eye to even the slightest impropriety before the marriage. She herself was an actress, and knows how some of the girls behave, not that Amy has ever given her any cause for concern. Amy has been the soul of discretion, thus far, during her affair with you, and only a few close friends are aware that you even exist. So you see that any hint of an on-going affair would put an end to the wedding, and I can't allow that to happen.

In any case Amy, as the affianced of the current Viscount Monmouth, is now under the protection, and indeed the surveillance, of the Hugheses, and is staying in their London town house."

Caroline leaned forward and put her hand on my knee "Amy wanted to come tonight, and explain everything to you herself, but it would have been too much of a risk."

She removed her hand and leaned back in her chair, the warmth of her hand stayed with me for some time.

Caroline continued talking, while looking me in the face with warm, friendly, and attractive, eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.