Duel and Duality;  Book 1 of Poacher's Progress - Cover

Duel and Duality; Book 1 of Poacher's Progress

Copyright© 2012 by Jack Green

Chapter 25: The Challenge

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 25: The Challenge - Follow Jack Greenaway, lawyer's apprentice and poacher, from Lincoln to Waterloo and beyond, as he experiences the life and loves of a soldier in Wellington's army, in war and in peace. He battles with Napoleon's troops abroad and Luddites at home, finds his true love (twice!) and eventually faces his nemesis on the duelling ground. All references to snuff in this novel apply to the tobacco product, and should not be confused with 21st Century usage.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Heterosexual   Historical   Oral Sex   Violence   Prostitution   Military  

It was the evening after the Dining-in-Night, and Billy and I were sat in a corner of the Mess talking, about something and nothing, and drinking. Billy could put brandy away as if it were spring water, but I'm no toper, and a glass or two will set my brain muzzy, and I had already reached that state. Billy suddenly gave a groan and got up from his armchair.

"I need to void my bowels, Jack, probably some Indian bug still in my belly."

"More likely it is the amount of food you stuffed in your belly last night."

Billy gave a wan smile and walked, rapidly, towards the exit and the latrines. I sat there, sipping my brandy and idly looking around the room.
There was a card game taking place on a table by me, and I saw that Braxton-Clark was one of the players. He had arrived from Windsor that morning, and I had heard him telling his cronies that he was now as good as a member of the Life Guards.
I gazed at him. He had his tunic unbuttoned, his face was flushed, there was a drink at his elbow and he was smiling and laughing as if he had not a care in the world. I wondered if he could really be a cold blooded killer, he looked as harmless as a kitten. I was still watching him when he suddenly looked up from his cards and caught my eye. He flushed a deep red, but he managed to smile as he addressed me.

"You stare at me as if I were the devil himself, Greenway. What's to do?"

The other card players looked up from their cards, sensing some sport; they knew that he and I were not the best of friends. Really, I was in no state to play games with him, but the brandy was working to my disadvantage, and I replied.

"My pardon. I was not aware I was staring at you -- but if the cap fits..."

There was some laughter at the table, and Braxton-Clark went white with anger, but managed to contain himself.

"I have a hand of cards to play, and can't be bothered to bandy words with you."

With that he turned back to the table, and for the next five minutes the game continued. Suddenly Braxton-Clark threw down his cards and got up from the table.

"I do declare that Greenway has put a hex on me, my luck has completly vanished."

He came over and sat down opposite me.

"Will you have a drink with me, Jack?" he asked, loud enough for the rest of the room to hear.

I declined, but he waved the mess waiter over and ordered a bottle of wine. He leant forward towards me, a fixed smile on his face, and said quietly, so no one but I could hear him.

"You are a thorn in my side, Greenway. I aim to pluck you out and dispose of you."

I replied, just as quietly. "How do you intend to dispose of me? Cast me into the Thames, no doubt?"

His face went white, not with anger but with shock, and it was then I knew he was the savage who had murdered those children. As he fought to regain his composure the waiter arrived with the wine and poured us each a glass. I was hard put not to throw mine in Braxton-Clark's face.
I knew he was determined to goad me to challenge him, and his next words made that clear. He raised his glass to me, and said in a conversational voice, but loud enough for the room to hear.

"You seem to have recovered your good humour. Has that little whore Amy Fairfax resumed giving you galloping lessons?"

Silence as heavy as an army greatcoat fell on the room. It was considered extremely bad form to mention a female by name in the Mess. I should have reminded him of that, and then left the room.That way I would have brought him down a peg, without having to challenge him, but the brandy I had consumed caused me to reply.

"The lady is an actress, as you well know, but I'm sure she could give you lessons in manners."

He flushed at that, and I heard some chuckles amongst the fellows in the room. Any decent man would have felt his honour impugned at that gibe, and would have challenged me to withdraw the remark, but Braxton-Clark was as cunning as a fox.

"She is nothing but a cheap trollop, who rents out her madge by the hour!"

This was not true; Amy had 'patrons' who gave her gifts, and may have given her money, but she did not sell her favours like a common whore. I knew then what I had to do.

"She is nothing of the sort, and you should withdraw that slur, or be thought of as a blackguard."

I hoped to shame him into withdrawing his remark by my insult, but he was hell bent to have me challenge him, and I should have saved my breath.

"If I do not withdraw the remark will you call me out?" Braxton-Clark was savouring the moment.

I had no choice; Amy's honour, and any future marriage, was at stake, and not to challenge him would have had the poor girl's reputation mired for life.

"Yes," I said firmly, "a cad such as you must always be challenged when he slanders a lady."

"Well, I do not withdraw my remarks; I stand by them. Captain Maddox will act as my second. I believe I have the choice of weapons?"

With that parting shot he left the room. He had achieved what he had set out to do, and I cursed myself for a fool for allowing him to manipulate me.

"Damn my eyes, Jack, but you've gone and got yourself in a real fix."

Billy Bassett had come into the room in time to hear the last part of the conversation.

"I'll act as your second, of course, but I fear the worst. His reputation as a crack shot is well known. What on earth possessed you to challenge him?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.