An Unlikely Hero - Cover

An Unlikely Hero

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 3

They went through the portal into the bank. Paul requested his safe deposit box and removed his things. He selected his bow, arrows, a jacket of boiled leather, his sword, a set of throwing knives and a large stash of coins. He also grabbed a large cape, several sets of clothing and a leather rucksack. He attached these to various fastenings around himself with obvious ease and practice. He gave Tom a knife and a large wooden staff.

"Sorry Tom, but that's all I have spare, we'll get more as we go along, we'll see if there's an arms seller in this town. Even if there isn't I'm sure it wont take long to get more gear." Paul told him.

"That's okay, I'm sure we'll manage" Tom replied.

With that they left the bank. The first thing that hit them was the smell. It absolutely stank. It was the rank smell of sewage, rotting fish, animals and unwashed bodies that assaulted their noses. It made their eyes water and their stomachs retch. They made their way onto the street, looking up and down to see if they could spot the stables. They failed to find them so decided to try for an inn to see if they could find out any thing about the folk who were holding Leila. They had hardly any information on them other that they were called the Badger men, after the skins they traded when they came down from their forest homes. They inhabited a vast area of forest, with villages carved out of the dense woodland. There were few roads in the area, just a few trails. This was not going to be easy.

It was a small port; that accounted for the smell of the fish; the rest was just typical Chaos. Fishing boats were drawn up on the beach and sailing boats were drawn up alongside the small quay. They saw men loading bales of wool onto the ships and unloading other casks, barrels and a number of boxes, parcels and other assorted items. They asked a passing sailor where the name of the place and where the nearest inn was.

"This place is called Small Cove. You want the Stinking Fish. Can't miss it, follow your nose, big picture of a fish outside."

Less than enthused by this recommendation they nevertheless looked about and saw the afore mentioned establishment further up the street. As they entered it exceeded all expectations. It stank of fish, was filthy, the patrons were no better, also dirty and smelly. It was also crowded with very little room. They squeezed through and found a small table near the back. They ordered a beer and watched their fellow patrons. They were a mixture of folk, much the same as can be found in any port in any world. There were sailors who had just got off their ships and were looking for a way to spend their pay and women who were only too grateful to help them. There were cardsharps, who were also looking to relieve the unwary traveller of their hard earned pay. There were also, Tom noticed some unsavoury looking characters who just seemed to hang around near the door, and only went out to follow someone who had obviously had far too much to drink. Whether they were going to rob them or press them into the crew of some ship, or both, Tom did not wish to find out.

One of the whores made her way over to them. She was a worn out looking woman, who in her youth it would have been charitable to call plain. Age had not improved things. "Hello boys, just got in did you? Looking for a bit of fun are you?"

Tom had to try very hard to suppress a shudder at the very idea. "No my darling" he said. "We're after some information. We need to know where we can find a folk called the Badger men, we want to trade some furs."

"Got some things to trade have you? Well I could do you a nice trade dearies, could keep both of you warm, wouldn't need them furs then would you." she said

The very idea turned Tom's stomach "Thanks for your kind offer, but I've promised my wife a cloak of badger skins. Its what we do; trade furs. When we get the animals we skin them. We wouldn't want to do that to you now would we? Think of all the pleasure we would be denying all the poor sailors that travel from afar to sample your charms."

Paul by now was biting on the edge of his mug to suppress his laughter. The woman looked over towards one of the men standing by the bar.

"Balic's the man you need to talk to, he can tell you where to find the badger shaggers. He's over there by the bar," she told them. They thanked her and Paul made a show of digging a couple of pinches out of his small moneybag.

"Thanks for the tip" he said handing her the money, "I wish I could give you more, but until we do some trading we're a little short."

They made their way over towards the man and offered to buy him a beer. He was a large man, well muscled and strong. He stench was even stronger, a mix of rotten fish, B.O. and stale beer.

"Why would you buy me a beer? What you after? You need someone killing?" he growled at them.

"No, no, just some information. We would like to know where we could find the Badger men, we wish to trade with them for their furs. We've heard that they have the best badger furs anywhere." said Paul

"You got a wagon or you got pack horses? Wagon's no good, trails too small, never get through with a wagon. What you goin' to trade? Badger shaggers like women. You got any women to trade? They like knives as well. Sharp ones." The man continued. "They live beyond the hills to the north, 'bout two weeks travel. Don't want a wagon though, roads too thin."

They bought the man another beer, thanked him for his information and left.

"Good God" exclaimed Tom as they left the inn, "they're not all like that here are they, I mean women have the right to be ugly, but she really did abuse the privilege. And that man! What happened? Did his mother bounce him on his head just for fun? And the smell! Yea gods it was bad."

"You'll get used to it," laughed Paul, "but no, they're not all as bad as that."

They walked around the town and soon discovered a stable yard that contained some horses for sale. The owner seemed a talkative chap and when they said they wanted to trade with the Badger men he confirmed what Balic had told them.

"We were talking to a man in the Stinking Fish" Paul said, "He said to go north, is that right, he seemed a little slow, so I'd just like to confirm that we heard him right."

"That wouldn't have been Balic would it?" the owner asked

"Yes, why?"

"Just be careful of that one, he's not as stupid as he seems. Never seems to work, but always got money for beer. Just watch yourselves, that's all" he told them

"Thanks for the warning" said Tom. "Now do you know where we can get some trade goods that the Badger men would like? Balic seemed to think women, but I'd rather something else."

"Yes, good knives, blankets and horses. That's what I'd take. You could go down to the docks. The traders there sometimes sell their goods cheap. Saves them having to travel inland. If you don't find what you want there then you need to see Cedric. He has the store over the back. He'll have some of the things you need. Tell him I sent you and he'll see you right. The name's Robert, just tell him Robert sent you."

"Thanks" said Paul; "once we know what we'll be taking we'll be back to buy some of these fine horses from you."

They went down to the docks and there they met with Ahmed, who was a trader leading a trading caravan into the interior of the island. They asked him if it was his first trip to the island.

"No" he told them. "I make this trip every year. I sell weapons, spices, and fine goods from all over the known world. I will trade with everyone. Everyone knows Ahmed. Everyone is Ahmed's friend."

"That is good to know" said Tom "Tell me, what kind of weapons do you sell?"

The man's eyes lit up at the prospect of a sale. "Well sirs, that would depend on a man's purse, for the things we carry are very valuable. These are not your common or garden weapons; these are the finest you can find in these lands. Please let me show you what we have."

He clapped his hands and two large men brought several chests. They opened up the first one and inside were several types of swords, long curved swords, two-handed broadswords and short swords. The next contained several types of bows, longbows, ornate curved bows, and then at the bottom of the chest was a plain recurved bow. Tom picked up the bows; he tried the longbows, but just didn't like the feel of them. He pick up the fancy gilded ones. He could feel as he tried to string them that they were made for show, and would be useless as a weapon. Finally he picked up the recurved bow. As soon as he held it in his hands he knew he had to have this bow, it just felt right. It was then the negotiation started. First he asked the price of the gilded bows, and then just smiled and shook his head, next came the longbows, and again he said they were more than he could afford. Ahmed was not fooled, but he also loved the thrill of the sale. He almost felt cheated if he named a price and the customer just paid, he liked the thrill of the chase. He smiled when Tom picked up the recurved bow again.

"Let's go and try it out, I would like to see how well you can handle it." Ahmed said to him.

"Yes lets," said Paul, "I also would like to see how good he is with this bow."

Tom selected a dozen arrows and they made their way to where some of Ahmed's men had set some butts up. A couple of Ahmed's people had also brought their bows to practice their archery as well. They lined up and Tom loosed his arrows. He scored two bulls and the rest he grouped tightly around the centre.

"That's very good shooting, now lets see how my men can do." said Ahmed impressed.

The men came forward and loosed their arrows at the targets. They did well, but not as well as Tom. Only one scored a bull and their shots were not as tight either.

"It seems that the bow was made for you," said Ahmed "How would you like to ride with me? I could hire you on as extra guards, shall we say, one shell a day? Each? I could deduct the price of the bow from your wages, say ten shells for the bow?"

"I don't know." said Paul. "We have our own business to attend to. Where exactly do intend to travel? How long do you intend to stay?"

"Well we intend to travel north, wish to trade furs with the tribes in the lands there. How long we stay I cannot say, we trade until all our goods are gone and we have enough to turn a profit. Who knows we may sell it all in the first village and return within a month, or we may have to spend the winter here and not return for a year."

Paul thought about it "As I said we have our own business, it could be we also need to travel north, and as long as its understood that we may need to leave then we maybe tempted for two shells a day, and the bow as a starting bonus, plus twenty good arrows" said Paul

Ahmed look shocked. "You would steal all my profit for the trip? I cannot afford that, one and half shells a day and ten shells for the bow."

Paul stood there shaking his head "Don't know, two shells a day, five shells for the bow with twenty arrows."

Ahmed stood shaking his head. "You will take the bread from my children's mouths. One and half shells a day, seven shells for the bow and twenty good arrows."

Paul looked at Tom who nodded his head. "Very well, we still have to get some things ourselves. We will meet you back here in the morning."

"Good" said Ahmed "We leave at sunrise."

Paul paid Ahmed and Tom selected his arrows and a quiver for them. They made their way back towards the stables to arrange for some horses. As they passed an alleyway three men stepped out with knives drawn.

"It seems we have some strangers here with nice fat purses. The seem to be heavy, me and my friends here could help lighten your load." Said one of the men smiling.

Tom was holding his staff and he swung it upwards towards the leader catching him in the groin. He went down with a grunt. Tom then pulled it back and smashed the end into his face, smashing his nose and teeth. Paul stepped back and drew his sword. The two others hesitated for a moment and this gave Paul time to run the first one through. The last one turned to run. Tom and Paul both drew their bows and shot the man in the back. Two arrows spouted from his back and he fell dead in the street. The one with the ruined face and genitals looked on I horror as his companions died.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.