Always on Guard
Chapter 49

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

From the point of view of the Combined Forces, the attack was almost a complete success. There were no deaths from Emertland, Tark or Freeland, although there were a few serious injuries. One young Guardsman would almost certainly lose his lower right leg.

He received a terrible slash from a man he was certain he had killed after he disregarded the first warning he'd received from Jorgarn and Pernice: An injured opponent has nothing to lose. The trainers had told the men repeatedly, "Do not move forward until you are positive you have killed or disarmed your opponent."

The Guard's right calf was severed by his fallen – but still living – opponent and the rebel soldier's knife was imbedded in the man's shin bone. Another Guardsman was stabbed in the shoulder and several, including Fieth, would have fresh scars to prove they were there. Torbert shook his head at the news. The Emertland Guard provided less than 12 percent of the men and women who took part in the battle but 99 percent of the wounded.

The Rangers had begun harassing the enemy while inside Renoit's territory. The first report had 103 men-at-arms, nine commanders and six Lords in total.

The rebellion's leaders had marched 84 soldiers and six Lords into Darnot. One was killed by a Ranger before the actual battle began and only 27 warriors and three Lords had survived the initial flurry.

Jorgarn counted seven men who Torbert managed to reunite with their families and the three Lords captured by the Cavalry as the only survivors of the 118 men who set out to overthrow King Landor by force. He found himself saddened as he looked around. Even the joy of seeing the soldiers from his side sitting and talking to each other and seeing the few men and who had been freed from captivity didn't lessen his depression.

"We have no list of the enemy's dead," Pernice reported. "Some of the survivors have given us names of men they knew were there. The captured leaders are not speaking."

Jorgarn nodded grimly.

"They will," he assured his friend. "You know what we learned in Umbria. They will tell us all they know and much of what they only suspect by the time we're done with them. Who do we have? I didn't bother to look."

"Ducotte's brother, Troch and Borsik," Pernice replied. "Vant, Osper and Thane were killed. Torbert recognized them. The five men who claimed nobility were sons from Brestid, Nooth, Wallingford and one of Esselrig's boys and his son-in-law."

"Well, there is no reason for him to remain in the dungeon any longer once we return," Jorgarn said. "We know why he was trying to leave and we know how information arrived to the insurgents from the castle."

"What are our new orders?" Pernice asked. "Many are wondering if we shouldn't just send a small group back with the captives and wounded while the rest of us head north from here. The Freelanders have volunteered to go with us to relieve the displaced landholders of their possessions. They can cross into Freeland by land as easily as from sea. The Tarks feel the same way. They are willing to attend to the Eastern section and simply go home from there."

"I would prefer we had horses for everyone," Jorgarn said. "I do not want any man or woman walking for seven weeks. It is ridiculous. Do you know anywhere in Darnot that I can purchase 400 horses?"

Pernice was still pondering when a young woman spoke.

"Lady Peth has perhaps a hundred horses in her stables," she said. "I used to have to attend to them before I was of age. I believe Lord Wanner also breeds them. With a day's walk, you could have close to half of what you need. Those are Crown properties now, correct?"

Jorgarn smiled at the inventive young woman.

"Traymer told me he was always around horses, too," Jorgarn said. "I will bet the former Ducotte lands will yield some fine breeds. Let us speak to Torbert about this. Would you please accompany us, since you are the one who has figured out the solution to our quandary?"

Torbert considered the situation for only a moment before deciding. He would take 50 men and return to the capital with the three captured leaders, the wounded, the four women Jorgarn had promised sanctuary, Trivi and two other families who wished to live there.

Fieth and Renoit would take 100 men and women to secure the lands and horses of Peth while the rest of the group would march to them later. The same would be done with Wanner, which lay north of Peth, and then Brestid, northward of Wanner.

They would then split up the groups once transportation was secured.

Fieth and Renoit would continue north into Troch and Osper, checking first to ensure Fieth manor and its residents were safe.

Jorgarn and Pernice would take the Tark Archers and 30 more men and attend to removing the Nooth, Ducotte and Vant families from their manors. The Archers would return home from Vant and Jorgarn's group would meet up with Fieth's in Osper.

Lippit and Belad would take soldiers to clear the Renoit and Aybester lands. Then they, too, would meet at Osper manor. Chicote was disappointed he wouldn't get to arrest his sister but Jorgarn pointed out that Chicote would likely have to kill her if she knew it was him.

The families were to be given one chance to surrender. If they complied, they were to be arrested and sent to the capital to await Landor's decision. If they refused, they were to be killed to the last member. If the household staff put up resistance they were to be subdued with the least force necessary. But if they persisted, they were to be killed.

Jorgarn wrote out the necessary orders and Torbert signed them and affixed his seal before heading back to the capital. Jorgarn and Pernice gave him letters to deliver to Bralan, Leyota, Astid and Saneth and Belad gave him one for Vellendira, who had finally been convinced to remain behind – to ensure the cold Marnit had picked up did not worsen.

Jorgarn' group included the 25 Archers and 25 Raiders, whose horses could carry another rider if he were small and 10 members of the Guard. They took only a half dozen horses from the Peth stables and headed east. There was no need for all 350 men to ride into Wanner and Brestid. Those holdings barely held more than 350 inhabitants each and could be crossed in only a few hours on a horse.

The group camped in southern Nooth for the night and arrived at the manor just before daybreak. There were no guards on duty and no one patrolled the grounds. The village outside of the manor was silent as the men rode through.

The sound of Jorgarn's sword hilt on the heavy wooden door roused the household and the King's soldiers charged through before the door was even partially opened. The poor housemaid who answered the loud, incessant banging was sent skittering across the floor on her rear.

Pernice offered her a hand up and then instructed her that she needed to bring the senior servant forward immediately. She was told in no uncertain terms that any resistance from the house staff would be put down most harshly.

Jorgarn and Pernice stood in the entryway surveying the finely crafted ornaments that adorned it. In the entire region they had seen nothing but shacks and hovels for the residents. But Lady Nooth's entry chamber was more ostentatious than the palace.

It was only a few minutes before the tall, imperious woman stormed into the room, accompanied by five members of the Tark Archers.

"I demand... ," she screeched before Jorgarn's voice rang out.

"You will demand nothing!" he yelled. The woman took a step backward but her head still remained high. "I had the honor of killing your son this week. It will cause me no hardship to kill you, too. I am Sir Jorgarn, Knight Protector for the Heiress. This is Baron Pernice Wort. The men who captured you are Tark Archers and this manor is surrounded by the Emertland Cavalry. In the name of King Landor, under the vote of Tribunal, you are stripped of your holdings and placed under arrest for High Crimes against the Crown. You son has already been executed. If you do not surrender immediately, you will be executed in the courtyard when the sun reaches its highest peak."

The woman's face turned scarlet.

"Now see here," she began but again Jorgarn cut her off.

"The only words I want to hear from you are, 'I surrender' or 'I will battle'," he said loudly. Jorgarn's men returned to the chamber with several other people in varying stages of dress.

"The house staff has surrendered," one of the Archers said in his thick accent. "Think they are happy to be rid of her, I do."

A slight smile creased Jorgarn's lips but the former Lady Nooth was incensed.

"You allow foreigners in my home!" she roared.

"You have no home," Jorgarn said dispassionately. "It has been seized. I will take your answer to mean that you do not surrender."

He glanced at Pernice.

"Kill her," he said.

Pernice had not managed to unsheathe his sword before Nooth whimpered, "I surrender."

Jorgarn gestured to the Emertland Guards who stood in the room.

"Bind her and gag her," he said. "I am certain she has a fine carriage. Toss her in it and ride to the capital to deliver her to King Landor. If she puts up any resistance, so much as an unkind word, kill her and return to us. Otherwise, deliver her to the King and see Sir Torbert for your next assignment."


Lord Troch had been nervous for many of the preceding days. He suspected the only thing left for him was to grab what he could and flee to wherever he could find.

The news had trickled in slowly during the past week. First there was news of a great battle in Darnot. Not a battle really, more of a massacre. Troch was certain which side won.

The fighting had germinated from trying to make the best of a mess left by his son, Frayon. Another mess, the Lord thought ruefully. He sent Frayon to Court to gain influence. He had cultivated his sources carefully. He knew the Princess was vulnerable to flattery. And Frayon was handsome, if stupid. Lord Troch was amazed, but pleased, when Frayon announced the King wished him to come to the capital to set up a marriage contract.

Then he learned the truth behind it. He had sent the boy there to gain a friendly ear, not to impregnate the Princess.

It wasn't until that awful Knight had returned from war that things got outside of Lord Troch's control. Frayon had shot his mouth off, gaining several deadly enemies before the sentence was completed.

Landor, of course, had no choice but the force the marriage. But he made it clear from the outset that he would have nothing to do with the Troch family. Landor even had taken to ignoring his daughter.

The real damage, however, was done by that Knight. He left in a huff and took the army with him. But before he left, he made certain everyone in the capital knew why he was leaving and why the Princess was marrying a hopeless cad like Frayon Troch.

The outcry from the nobles was muted. The Princess was, after all, Heiress to the throne. They could little afford to burn their bridges at such an early age. It was the commoners who forced Landor's hand. The Slatternly Princess, she was called.

When Landor forced Denae to forfeit her title, Troch started to move in earnest. With no Heiress, the Court would look to Denae or even little Leyod should the King fall. It was a good plan, Lord Troch thought, made better by the large group of Lords and Ladies who rallied behind it.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.