Always on Guard
Chapter 40

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

The house was quiet the following morning. The three lovers slept soundly, and as promised, Leyota coaxed another helping of seed into her woman's tunnel while Bralan bathed.

"I will bring your child with me to Emertland," she whispered into Jorgarn's ear as she cuddled next to him. "This is supposed to be my egg time, right now. I have not had it in two months. When I return, I will be almost ready to birth your child. I wish I could stay and give Freeland its first infant but I fear there is no time."

Jorgarn sat up and looked at Leyota, shock written on his face.

"A child!" he said. "You are with child? Leyota, you should have told me! I would have been gentler with you. I would have gotten you a carriage so you didn't need to ride a horse to the Capital. Why didn't you say something?"

"I just did," she answered with the smile that always eased Jorgarn's mind. "I wanted to be certain before I said something. I knew you would react this way and I didn't want you to force me to stay in bed as if I were an invalid. Millions of babies have been born under the Creator. I'm certain millions of fathers have worried about their wives and millions of wives have grown weary of their husbands' fretting. I debated with myself if I should tell you before you leave. However, I knew I must. It would never do for me to arrive in Emertland with a newborn and you having no idea where it came from."

"I know where they come from," Jorgarn said, peeved at the possibility that Leyota considered not telling him and worried about leaving her behind.

"Yes, I know," Leyota said soothingly. "Chicote will look out for me – as will the others, I'm certain. You need not worry because you will have a dozen people up here worrying for you."

"And that is supposed to stop me?" Jorgarn asked. He never would have agreed to accompany Bralan if he had known Leyota was with child – a fact Leyota knew all too well.

"It is supposed to ease your concern but not stop it altogether," she said. "Now, my mother resides in the castle. You saw her during the few days you were there. Do you recall her? She was the one hugging Chicote and crying endlessly."

Jorgarn was confused but nodded that he would recognize Lady Renoit.

"She, Bralan and Eslada are the only three to know of my condition," she said firmly. "They are the only ones in Emertland who can know that I am your wife and that you are the father of my child. Everyone else must simply be left to wonder."

"Even Landor and Torbert?" Jorgarn asked.

"For now," Leyota said. "They have been harmed greatly by the scandal Denae wrought. They will never consider Bralan if they believe that a hint of dishonor might attach itself to her. In time, we will tell them the truth but after she is firmly ensconced. For now, I would prefer you do not mention me around them. You might tell them that I elected to stay in Freeland but it is not their concern. They are not my father, nor are they yours. They will understand why I've stayed once the Freeland militia arrives."

"I will ask again, 'Who are you?'" Jorgarn wondered.

"Dear, who do you supposed kept your household running during your absence?" she replied. "Who do you suppose kept Denae's deceit hidden for so long – not out of any great respect for her but because of my respect for her position and my love for you? I truly regret that I was not the one to break the news to you. I know the way you found out caused great anguish not only to you but to those who care about you and the legions who look up to you. Torbert knows of my spy. I have kept him apprised of what is happening through letters to my mother. I tell you this only because I will not write to you while you are away. I cannot. I didn't want you to hear of my mother receiving correspondence from me and think I did not care for you any longer. My mother knows I've married but she does not know to whom. I will leave that to you and Bralan to announce to her."

Jorgarn was shaking his head, still unsure how his wife had become so adept at hiding things.

"This spy, who is she?" Jorgarn asked.

"I can't tell you," Leyota replied.

"Cannot or will not?" Jorgarn clarified.

"Fine; I will not!" Leyota answered. "She is a woman I befriended while you were at war. She found herself on hard times and I helped. Now she is employed as a nanny in Denae's household. She is privy to much and she sends what she knows to me."

"And you trust her?" Jorgarn wondered. "Do you not think she might be swayed by the prospect of becoming surrogate mother to a King?"

Leyota laughed aloud.

"She understands Denae very well," she said. "I asked the woman to come with us, here. She was going to come a few months ago but then she was offered the spot with Denae. She took it so she could provide information to me. It is through her that I have learned much of the doings in Emertland's border regions. All of her information has proven worthwhile. She is the one, even, who informed me that Bralan was almost assured of being named Heiress. Let's just say Denae was unhappy with the choice."

She looked up into Jorgarn's brown eyes.

"She still cares about you," Leyota said. "Denae, I mean. She does not accept that you are gone to her forever. She plots with my spy to find ways to get you to return to her. Beware of that."

Jorgarn snickered.

"Let me see if I understand this," he posed. "I have the prospect of having not one but two wives that I would trust with my life, the prospect of raising a family with two wonderful women who are as much my friends as my lovers or of wondering where my wife is and who she is with all the while I am caring for her illegitimate child. I wonder which way I will lean."

"People grow from their mistakes, Jorgarn," Leyota pointed out. "Should you meet Denae again, you might not recognize her. You spent two years in her company without seeing her for who she was. Do not forget that."

"Even if I forget that, I will not forget you," Jorgarn replied.

"Nor me," Bralan said from the doorway. She had not bothered to put on clothing after her bath. Jorgarn got his first look at her body in sunlight. He was impressed. She had obviously maintained her workouts. Her muscles were lean and strong. There was little curve to her body but she was still womanly.

"Nor you," Jorgarn said. "You look lovely in that outfit."

Bralan glanced down at her nakedness.

"This old thing?" she asked with a wave of her hand. "I've had it for years. But I must admit, seeing you look at it that way has given me a new appreciation for it."

The pair on the bed laughed. Jorgarn recognized that Leyota and Bralan complimented each other beautifully. Not only did they look completely different but their personalities were also very different. Leyota was serious and outspoken. Bralan was funny and subtle. They would make a good team.

"I just told Jorgarn and now I will fill you in," Leyota said, returning to business. "No one in Emertland must know of my relationship with Jorgarn. You can tell my mother once you arrive at the castle. Of course, you and Eslada know and I'm certain that Merg told Drosset. Nevertheless, we must keep any hint of scandal from you. Do we agree upon that?"

"So it won't be scandalous if the Heiress spends every night with her Knight and her Prime Attendant?" Bralan asked with a wry smile.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.