Always on Guard - Cover

Always on Guard

Copyright© 2012 by Jay Cantrell

Chapter 38

Leyota practically skipped from the building, tugging Jorgarn along with her. She reached the exit to find at least 20 people waiting for them.

Fieth and Renoit came forward and gave Jorgarn and Leyota a cup filled with ale and pointed laughingly to another wagon with three casks on the back of it.

"Hail," Pernice yelled. "The happy couple!"

The crowd broke into spontaneous applause and many people stepped forward to congratulate the pair. Leyota looked taken aback.

"You didn't expect our friends just to say, 'That's nice', and go on with their lives did you?" Jorgarn joked. He stepped to the top of the stairs and asked for quiet.

"It is not just our wedding we celebrate today," he said loudly. "I gladly give you Vellendira Cormit. The first person to move to Freeland of her own free will."

Vellendira recognized her name but little else. She saw everyone laughing and applauding her. Belad was trying to explain what was happening as he ushered her to the steps.

"Vellendira was a resident of Umbria who provided valuable assistance in the war," Jorgarn continued. "I think it is only fitting that someone as brave as she is the first person we welcome to our land."

Vellendira looked shocked. She wanted to flee but Belad had his arm around her shoulder as he translated what Jorgarn was saying into her ear. Finally, she simply waved her hand at the crowd. To her surprise, they broke out into cheers again.

"You're doing great," Belad whispered. "They just want you to know that you are welcome here and that you are among friends."

Vellendira wasn't certain. She had been around enough men drinking ale to know what came next. Even the women here – and she was surprised to see a dozen women or more among the group – were drinking and laughing. She hastened back down the steps and stayed as far away from the crowd as possible. Ronac Belad was trying his best to explain to her that it was a celebration for her, too, but she seemed intent on remaining as far from everyone as she could.

Jorgarn noticed the look of fear on the woman's face. He nudged Leyota, whom the woman seemed to like, and they ventured over to where she stood.

"Well met, Vellendira," Jorgarn said again. It was the only sentence he truly understood in Umbrian.

"Well met, Yorkarn," Vellendira tried. She simply had never used certain sounds the Emertis used.

"Well, I am not yorkarn," he said. Vellendira seemed to understand his meaning because she offered a timid smile. "I think that applies to my lovely wife and to you."

Belad relayed what Jorgarn had said. Fear flashed in Vellendira's eyes and he understood. He had heard tales of the strong spirit the Umbrians drank. It led to much violence and destruction.

"Please tell your friend that I have finished the one cup of ale that I will drink tonight," Jorgarn said. "It is not Umbrian drink. It is weak and mild. I will personally defend her against any affront and I will personally escort you and her to where you will dwell this evening. I will let no harm come to her, if I can stop it."

Belad translated and Vellendira nodded.

"And I will add my personal protection, as well," Leyota added.

Vellendira laughed when Belad explained what Leyota had said.

"You know our females are valiant warriors," Jorgarn told her. "Leyota has trained for five years with a sword. I am certain Ronac will offer to train you, as well."

She looked questioningly at Belad when he spoke. He nodded his agreement; then he told her that he would help her learn the language, too.

"This is your home now," Belad said. "You are one of us and we protect our own."

Leyota put her hand out in friendship. Vellendira looked at it briefly then accepted it.

"Let us join the festivities for a while," she said to those around her. "Then we shall go home and enjoy our wedding night."


The party ended as the sun faded. There were not enough torches to continue and everyone had drunk their fill anyway. By the time the evening drew to a close there were perhaps 70 people milling around, laughing and relaxing for the first time since their arrival in Freeland.

Belad and Vellendira joined Jorgarn and Leyota on the wagon back to the area in which they all resided. Vellendira had lost some of her nervousness as the evening progressed but she still was shy around most because she didn't understand what was being said. Leyota sat in the back of the wagon on the way back to Jorgarn's home and would say the Emerti word for objects they passed. Vellendira seemed to pick up many words quickly.

When they reached Jorgarn's cottage, he jumped from the wagon and went to the back. Instead of extending his hand, he put his arms beneath Leyota's shoulders and lifted her to the ground.

She laughed merrily all the way down and then swatted Jorgarn playfully on the arm.

"What, my wife?" Jorgarn asked innocently. "Is that not how I should assist you?"

"You are living dangerously, my friend," Belad joked. "My mother once went six weeks without speaking a syllable to my father over something similar."

Belad saw Jorgarn biting his lips to keep from commenting. He burst out in laughter.

"Best six weeks of his marriage, he said," Belad continued. Leyota looked for something to throw at him. Vellendira didn't understand what was said but she recognized the joking tone. She reached up and pinched Belad on the nose, much to Leyota's amusement. She motioned the woman forward.

"Leyota," she said, pointing to herself. Vellendira nodded.

"Friend," she continued as she hugged the somewhat startled woman. Vellendira recovered quickly and seemed to understand.

"Vellendira," she said. "Friend. Belad, Yorkarn, yerkis."

She giggled and Jorgarn stuck his tongue out at her.

"She said Ronac and I are beasts," Jorgarn said.

"Beastly," Belad put in. "She said we are beastly. I'm not sure if it is better or worse. We're off! I would tell you to have a nice evening but, well, I just won't."

Leyota laughed and started tugging Jorgarn to their door.

She kissed him fiercely once they were inside and started tugging at his clothes.

"I promise, my husband," she said between kisses. "I will always be faithful to you. You need never worry about me."

"I don't worry, Dearest," he answered. "You have always been faithful to me. First as my friend and now as my wife. I offer the same..."

Leyota put her finger over his lips to silence him.

"Do not make that vow," she said. "There might come a time when it is necessary for you to be with another. I understand that and I accept it."

"I do not accept it," Jorgarn said. "When you asked me – well, this afternoon – to be your husband, I do not think I have ever been happier about anything. I will gladly vow..."

Again Leyota's silenced him, this time with her lips.

"There are rumors from across the border," she said when she pulled back. "Things are changing rapidly. Do not make that promise to me. However, I will accept your promise never to be with anyone I do not approve of. Will you promise me that?"

"Of course, but... ," Jorgarn stammered before Leyota kissed him again.

"Come to bed," she said. "We can discuss the future at another time. Now, I want you to claim me."

She reached behind her neck and untied the dress she wore. It fell to the floor and Leyota stepped out of it, leaving only her chemise. He could see the darker circles of her nipples against her pale skin through the fabric. He could see her dark, lower hair.

"Tonight and well into tomorrow, we will do everything we can think of to pleasure the other," she whispered. "If I can still walk in the morning, we will start again."

The straps to her chemise fell off her shoulders and it joined her dress on the floor. Her smooth skin was flawless and she wore a golden smile across her face. Jorgarn was certain he had never seen a more beautiful sight in his life.


Jorgarn and Merg were working in the garden beside the cottage months later when the sound of a horse drew their attention to the road. Both recognized the rider immediately and it dawned on Jorgarn what day it was.

"What, no welcoming party?" Drosset asked. "Don't tell me you forgot today was my birthday?"

Jorgarn smiled at the young man.

"I remembered when I saw you," Jorgarn admitted. "Does that count for anything?"

Drosset dismounted the horse and hugged Jorgarn first and then Merg.

"It is good to see you," Jorgarn said. "Is all well with you and your family?"

"It has been better, I'm certain," he said. "But the people of Longview respect Lady Eslada even if they respect no other noble. We are suffering less than some. There are rumors that King Landor has really shaken things up at the castle. Eslada didn't go to Court this year. I understand there were many others who stayed away, too, so we get all of our news second- or third-hand. I know the King visited last month and he and Eslada had a long conversation about something. No one would tell me what though; I'm just a child, after all."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.