Sweet Caroline
Chapter 18

 

“For 1% of the gross sale for those eight listings, O’Hara and O’Hara Real Estate LLC will use its existing resources, along with the very bright head of Jennifer O’Malley to sell them. She would become an employee of O’Hara and O’Hara and any new listings she gets would become the property of O’Hara and O’Hara, but upon the sale of any listings Jennifer gets, we would pay O’Malley Real Estate a 1% finder’s fee for the first year.”

“In addition to that, my wife and I would like to enter into a bi-lateral agreement that when someone walks into our new office, with Jennifer at the front desk, and they are interested in Commercial property, we would exclusively promote and prod them towards O’Malley Real Estate. If you were to hire an additional Commercial Property salesperson, we could give them space in our office, again for 1% of any closed deal.”

“This almost sounds like one of those multi-player deals that happens in Football and Basketball, Richard. Why do you want to do this for me and Jennifer ... you barely know us?”

“Well, sir ... you remind me of my Dad, who’s on a four-month cruise with my Mom. He recently told me he may be dying. When I first met you, I felt a strong kinship much like my wife has found with your daughter ... and you feel like family. Pardon my tears, sir. I tend to get emotional talking about family. Caroline starts at UOP in the fall, I need someone I can trust to help me, and Jennifer fills that spot, perfectly.”

“Now, the last thing I want to do, is to get between you and your daughter ... if this doesn’t feel right to you, like it does to me, that’s OK too.”

“What do you say, Jeremy?”

I put my hand out to him and waited. After a few moments, I saw a glint in his eye - he was considering it. My phone rang and I grabbed it with my left hand, put it on speaker and said, “Caroline, what did Jennifer say to the offer?”

There was a moment of quiet that was quite relaxing.

With the energy level only a teenager can produce, we heard Jennifer say, “Daddy, I want to do it, if you’ll let me?”

“Jenn, is this your own decision?” he responded, getting a bit emotional in his voice. He was still looking at my extended hand

“Yes, Daddy ... absolutely ... Caroline explained everything to me, and it makes sense, it makes money for O’Malley’s, and you can come by any time and take me to Payter’s, for lunch.”

We both heard her giggle.

My hand was still out there this whole time. Jeremy was looking me over, I was trying to keep the tears in check. He pushed my hand away and walked up to me and gave me a great big bear hug, saying, “Welcome to Stockton, Richard!”

Over the phone, you could hear Jennifer whoop and I thought I heard the sound of a high five, between Carol and Jennifer.


After all of this, I headed back to the new house, and saw Caroline and Jennifer waiting for me. I walked up to them, kissed Caroline and hugged Jennifer.

“Thank you so much, you two. Daddy just needed a shove in the right direction. I’ll leave you two to discuss things. The plasterer showed up, the cable guy is on his way, and the floors are being sanded as we speak.”

She turned and left.

“She really is quite good at the getting-things-done level, Rich. You might have to stay on her until she is done with a project, and if you say it, I’ll punch you in the stomach,” my lover said with a delicious smile on her face.

“Caroline, it was like I was ... talking to Dad, I was making a deal with Jeremy and it felt like I was making a deal ... with Dad. This work arrangement is going to bring the community right to our front door.”

I proceeded to tell Caroline all of the details I laid out to Jeremy. I added some things to what we had said we would do, but nothing I promised raised any flags to my little Sweet Caroline.

Jennifer came to the doorway and asked us to come in for a minute. The cable guy had apparently asked a question that Jennifer hadn’t been prepared for. She was upset with herself for not handling it, but Caroline calmed her down and told she did very well.

It looked like the plasterers were finishing up. I could tell they had to come back to paint what they had just plastered.

“Jennifer, Caroline and I will need to stay over in Stockton tonight, where would you suggest we stay, nothing too fancy, just a hotel with a nice big bed and a tub for her. It doesn’t need to be close to here at all ... maybe a Best Western?”

“Yes,” Jennifer said, “There’s a nice Best Western on East March Lane, would you like me to make you a reservation, Richard?”

At first, I was going to get an address and find it myself, but Jennifer has so much get up and go, I thought I’d let her do it for us.

“That would be wonderful, Jenn ... is it OK to call you Jenn?”

“Sure Richard ... I work for you now,” she clapped her hands together as she said that.

“Yes, but you’re not expected to make these kinds of arrangements for us, Caroline might think you are encroaching on her turf.”

Caroline gave me such a look.

Turning to her, Jenn asked, “Caroline, is it all right with you if I do this for you two? You’ve been so nice to me and my father – it is the least I can do.”

Caroline waved her off and said, “OK, just remember that the expression ‘arm’s length transaction’ applies to my husband as well.”

Jennifer giggled loudly as she realized exactly what Caroline had said to her. I looked at Caroline and saw a Cheshire Cat smile on her face.

Jennifer turned around and said, “You’re all set at the Best Western Stockton on 111 East March Lane. From here go west to North El Dorado St and then go North about 3 miles, you can’t miss it on your right. Go now, if you want. I’ll stay here until they leave. I’ll call you if I need anything, promise.”

That sounded really good, I thought. I looked over to Caroline who looked tired. “We’re going, Jenn – call if you need anything, otherwise we’ll be back here at 9am.”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.