Sweet Caroline - Cover

Sweet Caroline

 

Chapter 11

On the way there, I told her about the errands we needed to run – she agreed. Upon reaching the address I told her to switch to our other rings. Her mouth opened to ask, and then she understood.

It’s funny how she compared changing the rings to that moment in DIE HARD 2 when the bad guys changed the ammunition from the blanks to the live fire. Wow. A woman who can make a legitimate DIE HARD reference. Now, there’s a perfect woman.


After walking in, I said, “Sorry it took so long, there was more traffic than I’d expected. Hello, my name is Richard O’Hara, I’m the Broker for O’Hara Real Estate.”

Robbie introduced the clients, “Richard, this is Mike and Debbie Walker.”

Mike Walker approached me, and put out his hand, saying “Hello, Richard ... and who is this lovely young lady?”

“This is Caroline, my Executive Assistant.”

Caroline moved towards the Walkers, and shook both of their hands, saying “Nice to meet you folks. Will this be your first home?”

Debbie offered, “Yes, Caroline – we’re moving out of an apartment and stepping up into a home.”

“Good idea,” said Caroline. “This is the perfect time to buy, while prices are depressed.”

I stepped in, and asked Robbie for the Selling Docs that awaited my signature. He handed them to me, but Caroline snatched them from my hand.

“Richard wants me to look at these before he signs them to make sure they’ve been filled out correctly,” she said.

Robbie looked a little pissed by what Caroline had said, but kept whatever he wanted to say to himself.

Caroline finished looking over the docs and handed them to me, saying, “Everything looks great, Rich.”

“Thanks, Caroline,” I said, turning to the Walkers. “All done ... the house now belongs to you two, and your bank.”

Everyone chuckled at that. I gave them the keys. I finished things up by giving my usual speech, “You’ve really got a deal today, Mike and Debbie. I personally think, but cannot promise of course, that the market will bounce back sooner than anyone thinks. This is a perfect first home for a young couple like you. Congratulations to you, both.”

Caroline smiled and, looking directly at Debbie, said, “The second bedroom will make a perfect baby’s room.”

Debbie had an amazed look on her face, and responded, “How did you know I’m pregnant?”

“Well, you said you’ve been in an apartment, and it was time to move up ... and I saw you didn’t have your wedding ring on, so I assumed your ring finger has swelled up and you stopped wearing it. I also noticed you’ve been touching your necklace, which is where I would put my wedding ring while I was waiting for the baby.”

Debbie pulled her necklace from her neck and there was the ring. Mike said to me, “She’s very observant, don’t let her get away from you, Richard.”

“Oh, I won’t,” I said as I put my arms around her. “Nice catch, Caroline.”

Mike offered his hand to Caroline and said, “When we’ve grown out of this house, I want O’Hara Real Estate. You’ve quite a head on your shoulders, young lady.”

“Well, Debbie and I have to gather up some furniture for this place. Our stuff will barely make a dent in this big place.”

“There’s a real nice furniture store in the shopping center just north of Stanford University. The name of the place escapes me at the moment, they’re quite affordable, but nice.”

Mike said, “Thanks very much, all of you. Bye.”


Robbie blurted, “What was all of that about ... Caroline looking over the documents? That’s news to me? That made me look like an ass, Richard!”

“Since I last spoke to anyone in the office, I’ve made Caroline my Executive Assistant ... she’ll be getting her Real Estate License as soon as she can, and I specifically asked her to start looking over all documents. She’s caught problems, after the fact, on everybody’s docs at one time or another, including yours, Robbie.”

“I’m sorry you were embarrassed in front of a client. Caroline is going to be a very valuable asset at O’Hara Real Estate. I’m making the announcement to everyone on Monday, when I also give you my new home address. OK, Robbie – is everything good, now?”

“Yeah – Richard, of course it is. Are you closing your storefront and working only out of your new place?” He sounded worried.

“Everything will be addressed on Monday morning at eight am. Can you pass it on to everyone about the meeting? I would appreciate it. I’ll follow it up with a broadcast email. Bye, Robbie – good job, selling this place. I knew with the seller dropping the price, either you or Stan would jump on it.”

He left, not a happy camper.

“Boy, Rich – Robbie sure copped an attitude today, didn’t he?” my Sweet Caroline said.

“Yeah, if he wasn’t such a good closer, I’d probably cut him loose. By the way, Caroline, that was quite a Sherlock Holmes moment you had back there with Debbie.”

“Just being observant, Rich. I would guess that O’Hara Real Estate probably has a lifetime of house sales with Mike and Debbie.”

“And if we do, it’s all because of you, my lovely beautiful sister.”

RING

I didn’t recognize the number – I don’t think it was from in the United States. Hmmm. I picked it up, “Hello – This is Richard O’Hara.”

“This is Michael O’Hara – Hey, Rich.”

I put the phone on speaker, “Hey Dad – It’s great to hear from you. Where are you guys?”

“We’re going through the Panama Canal as we speak—How are you and Caroline doing?”

“We’re doing quite well, Dad.”

“That’s good son ... I’m really happy for the two of you.”

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.