Sweet Caroline
Chapter 4

 

I knew I wouldn’t see Caroline until I picked her up at 7:30, so I looked at my watch and saw I had almost three hours to kill. I was brimming with nervous energy, so I decided to swim for a while. I put on my Speedos’ from before – before ... Wow! Exactly what do I want to happen between Caroline and me?

Well, I know what I want to do to Caroline, but there are consequences to a person’s actions ... Oh ... stop thinking with your other head, Richard – grow a pair. I grabbed a towel and went down to the pool and swam. I was finally getting tired after 30 leisurely swum laps and decided to get out and take a shower ... no, a bath to relax before ... what?

It was six o’clock and I called Caroline on her cell phone. “Hey Caroline, how’re you doing?

“Well ... Wichie, I’ve got the dress, I’m having my hair done and I’m also having a manicure and pedicure. This is so much fun. How did your meeting go?”

“It went well, I’ve got two more Realtors than I did yesterday, the Wheelers. They seem excited, but not nearly as excited as you sound. Do dinner and a movie sound OK to you or something else?”

“That sounds great Rich. Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise, Caroline.”

“Oh, you don’t know yet, do you? I know you better than you think, Richard Jefferson Michael O’Hara. Call me if you want to leave earlier than 7:30?”

“No, it’s our first date. A gentleman doesn’t change the time of a date, especially when he wants to impress the girl.”

“First date, huh? I’ll be ready for you promptly at 7:30, Rich. I expect you to treat me like a real date, OK?”

“Yes, Caroline Cathleen Chelsea O’Hara. My dream date.”


At 7:25pm, I pulled my car out of the garage and move it to the street in front of the house. Before I got out, I looked at myself in the mirror, checking my teeth and running my fingers through my hair. Damn, I’m nervous – but, why ... It’s just Caroline ... my little sister.

All righty then, it’s time. I get out of the car and nervously walk up to the front door, where I knock, again very anxious.

The door opens and it’s my Mom, with a cute look on her face, asking me, “Yes, can I help you?”

Caroline must’ve told her about our date and Mom is playing it for all its worth.

“I’m here to pick up Caroline O’Hara, for our date.”

“And you are?” She loves this.

“My name is Richard O’Hara, ma’am. You might know my parents?”

Mom giggled and said, “Come in, Richard.”

“Thank you, Mrs. O’Hara.”

“Caroline will be right down, Richard ... have a seat?”

“No thanks, ma’am, I’ll stand. It’s good for the circulation, I understand.”

“And where are you taking my daughter tonight, Richard?”

“Well, Mrs. O’Hara, might I say she certainly gets her beautiful hair and eyes from you ... I’m taking her to see the new movie at the Multiplex and then a late supper at Mauricio’s.”

“Aren’t you the smooth talker? Even though it is NOT a school night—I expect her home at a decent hour.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Just then there was a noise at the top of the stairs. It got both our attention, and Mom and I both looked up to see...

Caroline!

She was in an amazing jade-colored gown ... dress? No ... gown! Her hair was up and off her face, a light makeup to accentuate her dimples. Open shoes that made her look like Cinderella.

She started to walk down the stairs. I moved to the foot of the them to help her and I think my mouth had been wide open, because Caroline took my chin in her hand and closed my mouth and said softly to me, “See something you like?”

“Ahem,” my mother said, resuming her role in this role-playing adventure we were all involved in, “You two have a good time, and Richard?”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“My daughter is very precious to me. Treat her nicely,” mom smiled.

“Yes, Mrs. O’Hara – and I’ll have her home before the carriage changes back into a pumpkin. And I have protection with me.”

This was too much for Mom. She started laughing and said, “You two actually do make a cute couple ... if you weren’t brother and sister?”

Her tone had changed.

“Good Night, Mrs. O’Hara – I’ll have her back after breakfast in the morning.”

Caroline slapped me, and turning to Mom said, “He’s kidding Mom. See you later?” She turned to me and quietly asked, “Protection? Really?”

“G’night kids,” mom said as we left the house.


I opened the car door for her and went around to get in and said to my little sister, “You really do look like something out of a Disney movie, you’re so beautiful, Caroline.”

“I’ll bet you say that to all the girls, Wichie.”

“Nope – never meant it before tonight.”

“Where are we going, Rich?”

“I had in mind dinner and a movie, Miss O’Hara. But before we go anywhere, put this on?” I handed her a one-carat diamond ring.

“Oh, Richard. This is so sudden. Yes, I’ll marry you.” She started to wrap her arms around me, but I stopped her.

“Don’t get ahead of yourself, Caroline. These are for when we go out together, people can think whatever they want, but it implies we are ‘taken.’”

Caroline remarked, “Why don’t we do dinner and ... see where the evening takes us. I’m all dressed up. Now I need someplace to show off this dress.”

“How about the Quattro Restaurant, at the Four Seasons Hotel?”

“Richard. That place is awfully expensive and awfully far away ... Oh. You devil? Sure, let’s go there for dinner. Nobody would know us at Quattro’s, would they?”

“Well, Caroline, here’s the question of the evening? Would you like to eat at the restaurant itself? Or, would you like to order room service instead?”

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.