In the Waiting Room
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2012 by sagacious

Ronald:

I saw Hanna waving as I strode past the waiting room, but I ignored her. I hope she doesn't try to follow me, I need some time alone. It's a bit of a walk but I bet she won't find me at the south clinic cafeteria. I can get a cup of coffee there and try to figure out what is going on.

I'd forgotten how far it is to the south clinics. I enjoyed the travel though, going inside and outside through curious little walkways. I remembered a little electric train that used to travel back and forth, but it had been dismantled years ago. Now there was construction going on to expand the hospital by what appeared to be double.

I wonder what this woman wants with me? Is she just trying to be friendly, or does she have some other plan? I can't for the life of me think what she could see in me when she is doing so well on her own. Maybe she just wants a little fling with someone safe. I guess all I can do is go along with her for the ride. Charlene had left a sour taste toward women, but I don't really have anything to lose. Maybe thinking about her will help me deal with mom's passing a little better; it certainly can't make it any worse.

Having decided that, I headed back for my next visiting period. I wonder if Hanna will be there?

Arriving at the waiting room I announced myself and waited for the answer. When told that it would be a few minutes, I sat down and relaxed.

As usual a few minutes turned in fifteen or more. Just as the chubby guy a couple of seats over was trying to convince me that the Canadian health care system was the way to go, the intercom beeped and I was informed that I could go back to see mom. I passed Hanna at the door and waved at her.

"Hi, Mom, how are you feeling now?"

"I'm doing much better now, Ronald. I just had a very nice time talking to your new lady friend. She is quite interested in you, son. She wanted to know more about you."

I was flabbergasted, "What did you tell her?"

"Relax, Ronald, I didn't give away any deep dark secrets, as if you have any."

Mom was tired now and I didn't get much more out of her. She kept forgetting what we were talking about, so I didn't press as I knew that it wouldn't do any good. When mom was like this the best thing to do was just to make meaningless small talk and hold her hand while she drifted in and out of consciousness. In a little while the nurse asked me to leave and I went back out to the waiting room.

Hanna was there and gestured for me to sit next to her. I sat down and when I looked at her face Hanna seemed to be nervous about something.

"Thank you for visiting mom, Hanna. She enjoyed talking to someone new. Up to now it has just been me and the hospital staff."

"I was pleased to do it, Ron, she is a very nice lady. I hope I will be able to see her from time to time."

"You are always welcome."

Our conversation was interrupted by a doctor coming into the room and asking for me. I recognized mom's primary surgeon. He said that he had something he needed to talk to me about. I asked Hanna to wait for me and followed him across the hall to a private room.

"Mr. White, I'm sorry to tell you this, but we don't think that there is anything more we can do for your mother here. We can't operate on her unless she gets stronger, and she is getting weaker instead. I'm afraid that it is only a matter of time now. We would like to move her to someplace where she would be more comfortable for the time she has left. You would have a lot more access to her there as well."

"What do you have in mind?"

"There is a hospice in your hometown of Hillsboro that is associated with the hospital and has a room for her. Are you familiar with what a hospice does?"

"Yes, I am. We have supported them for years. I agree with you and support your decision. I thank you for thinking of her comfort."

The doctor seemed relieved, "There is more than a little self interest involved Mister White. I can't stand to see her getting worse and not be able to do anything about it. Every bone in my body says that I should be able to make her well, but my mind knows that I can't. All we are doing here is making her miserable. I believe that your mother will last longer in a place where she is treated with compassion and love. The stress of the ICU is not doing her any good. With your permission I will make the arrangements. Hopefully we can move her there tomorrow."

Well, that's it. It will all be over soon. I know how the hospice works and approve. I have been expecting this, but it is still a bit of a shock.

I thank the doctor and go back across the hall and sit back down next to Hanna.

"What was it about, Ron?" Hanna asked, "Is there a problem with your mother?"

"Yes, there is, Hanna. They say that there is nothing more they can do for her and they will be moving her to a hospice. It may be as soon as tomorrow."

Hanna put her hand on mine, "That is probably for the best, Ron. She is just so tired."

"I know, and I agree. Mom will do much better for a little while in the hospice environment. She may even be able to get outside into the sun and breeze, she would enjoy that."

I stopped talking and just sat there absorbing it all. Hanna was quiet as well and held my hand. After a while I came back to the waiting room from my thoughts and became aware of the feel of her soft hand in my callused one. I also realized that she had leaned over and her head was lying on my shoulder. Again her perfume filled my head and I knew that it was that which had pulled me back to the present.

I reached up with my other hand and touched her cheek, "Thank you for being patient with me, Hanna. I was expecting this, but it took a bit to get used to. Now I better go in and let mom know what is happening, if the doctor hasn't already done so."

Just then we were interrupted by a large woman in an expensive dress that tried but was unsuccessful in hiding her lumpy body. "Hanna Steele, you should be ashamed of yourself for climbing all over this man in the hospital waiting room where your brother is trying to recover from a heart attack. Have you no decency woman?"

"Take it easy, Phyllis," Hanna responded quietly. "Robert is recovering from too many of your cannelloni and really wouldn't notice if I were not here. This poor man is losing his mother and I am just trying to comfort him."

"Sure you are, draping yourself on him like a common girl. I'm glad your father is not here to see you acting like this," Phyllis responded.

"Well, that isn't very likely here, sister, since my father hasn't deigned to visit with Robert yet. If my conduct bothers you so much, sit your fat ass down where you can't see me."

The woman stepped back in shock, then moved over to the corner and sat staring at us, all the while muttering under her breath. When she had turned her back momentarily, one of the young women with her leaned down and whispered, "Way to go, Aunt Hanna, mom's got no reason to talk to you like that. You go ahead and do what you think is right. Betty and I will try to keep her away from you."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.