On the Other Hand
Chapter 8: Starting and Stopping

Copyright© 2012 by Coaster2

I leaned on the corner of the hangar as the sleek jet rolled to a stop only fifty feet away. I was as tight as the E string on a guitar, but I wouldn't have long to wait. No baggage claim, no crowding to get off the aircraft, no long walks up the jetway and through the terminal. No, I wouldn't have long to wait at all.

She wasn't first off the plane, but close. She saw me immediately and came on the run toward me. I held my arms open and she leaped into them. We held each other tightly, her feet not touching the ground as I kissed her face and lips and neck at a frantic pace.

As some point I put her down and saw the tears. I also saw the smile. I wrapped her in my arms again, holding her for fear she would be gone again if I didn't.

"I love you, Nicole."

"I love you too, Will."

"Can I put your bags in the car, Ma'am?" the dark-suited man asked with a smile. I hadn't even seen him approach. I was otherwise occupied.

I opened the trunk and thanked him for his help. I held the door for Nicole and she slipped into the passenger seat, smiling her thanks. I got in my side, closed the door and turned to her.

"Welcome home, Sweetheart."

Her eyes glistened still with unshed tears but the smile remained fixed on her face. I leaned over and kissed her again. We held each other for a few moments.

"Let's go home," I said.

Jimmy saw us first and ran out the front door and into his mother's arms. Mary and Angus watched from the doorway, smiling as their daughter walked hand-in-hand with her son up the path to the front steps. I pulled the bags out of the trunk and followed the noisy, happy group into the house.


"How does someone your size so easily overpower someone my size?" I asked as she nuzzled into my shoulder.

"Stored energy. A month of waiting for this, all compressed and ready to explode."

"By that logic, I should have been just as powerful."

"Men are weak, women are strong," she said, nipping at my chin.

How we'd got from there to here was a story on its own. Mary had conspired with Nicole to pack a small overnight bag for her daughter, and with Angus's approval, we were sent off to my condominium the minute Jimmy was asleep with the solemn promise that we would return before nine o'clock Saturday morning.

"It was far better, you know," I said, kissing her forehead.

"Yes ... much more than I dreamed."

"You dreamed about this too?"

"Is that a surprise?"

"No ... I guess not. All that dreaming, though. I didn't match the real thing. Didn't even come close," I said, pulling her even closer to me if that was possible.

"Do you think the next time will be just as good?" she asked, her fingers stroking my cheek.

"Better! Each time, each day, each year ... better."

"Show me," she said, climbing on top of me. "Make love to me again and show me."

"I may need a little time to recover," I said, hoping it wouldn't discourage her.

"Let me help."

And she did.

When we ultimately surrendered, we held each other closely, kissing gently and stroking each other and, in no time at all, falling asleep.

In my dreams that wonderful Friday night, I proposed and she accepted. In my dreams, we had a child that I fathered. In my dreams, Jimmy grew up to be a pilot. In my dreams, everything was perfect.

I awoke with a renewed sense of optimism. I knew now I could manage the last three weeks or so of her being away. We would make the most of this next few days, but I would be thinking of all the tomorrows that were still to come when we could be together. All I had to do was make it happen.

As I lay there in complete contentment, I became aware that Nicole was awake also. I rolled toward her to be greeted with a lovely, sleepy smile.

"Good morning, my love," I whispered.

"Yes ... very good," she murmured in return, her hand on the side of my face and a look of love in her eyes that made me weak. How did I ever get this lucky to find this woman?

"I know this isn't the traditional way, Nicole, but will you marry me?"

"Uh huh. When?"

"Yesterday?"

She smiled and her eyes sparkled just the way they always did when she was happy.

"Okay."

"I do have a couple of things I have to do first," I said.

"Like what?"

"Well, I need to ask your father's and Jimmy's permission first."

"You're kidding," she giggled.

"Nope. I'm not worried that they'll turn me down, but it's a courtesy I owe them."

She gave me a thousand watt smile, then, "What else?"

"Why find a ring, of course. Something special for your left hand."

"Of course," she repeated, rolling over on top of me.

"There is something else we should consider," I said.

"And that is?"

"Children."

"We already have one."

"What about another?"

"I thought you told me that you couldn't father a child," she said, looking at me quizzically.

"I said probably, not definitely."

She looked into my eyes, never blinking. "Maybe I'm already pregnant," she ventured tentatively.

"So ... you didn't have any protection then?"

"Nope. Didn't worry about it for a second."

"And you're okay with having another child ... or two?"

"You're awfully confident for someone who didn't think he could become a father."

"That was before I fell in love with a left-handed woman. Besides, I'm an optimist. You could very well be pregnant already."

"Uh huh, could be," she grinned.

"Does your father own a shot gun?"

That brought about genuine laughter.

"Yes, as a matter fact, I think he still does."

"Well, then I guess the wedding date might have to be moved up if we're lucky."

"It just might."

We made love once more before showering together and then getting dressed. We were expected for breakfast and Nicole warned me that her mother would probably put on an old-style breakfast: oatmeal, eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, fried tomatoes, and toast.

When we arrived at the Carlisle home we were greeted by Mary, who immediately gave both Nicole and me a hug and a kiss. There was no pretense about that woman and it made me feel both relieved and welcome. Jimmy was just getting out of bed, so he likely wouldn't have known his mother wasn't in her own bed last night. He wandered into the living room and saw me.

"How come you're here so early," he said, rubbing his eyes.

"Oh, I just wanted to spend the whole day with you and your Mom. She's been away for a long time."

He nodded and shrugged, heading for the kitchen as Mary poured him a glass of apple juice. Mom was home now and it was nothing to get excited about.

"When you finish that, go get washed and dressed, Jimmy," Nicole said.

"Okay." Simple instructions, simple answer.

I was offered a coffee by Angus and I accepted.

"Can I have a moment with you, Angus?" I asked.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.