06 Home - Cover

06 Home

Copyright© 2012 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 12

Present – SSA Hotchner – Headed to Texas

I can't believe it! One of the roving bands of terrorists has started taking out cell phone towers in Texas - something that until now they've left alone because they've been using them for communications (and we've been using them to track the fools). So the powers that be deemed it important enough to send me and a team to Texas to try to stop these idiots.

It's one thing if you mess with the government, but when you start messing with big business, then things start to happen.

From what I've heard, Texas is one of the last places on earth I want to be...

Present – Samantha – In the new news van

I wake up, stretch and realize we're moving. I look around and Frank is sleeping beside me while Emanuel is messing with some of the radio equipment. I whisper, "Where are we going?"

He replies, "Right now we're taking a detour to get the driver back to civilization. Then back to Texas because there's a new story."

I question, "What's the new story."

He answers, "Someone is systematically destroying the cell phone towers in Texas. I guess it has the feds pissed off and they are sending some special agents down to look at things."

I worry, "Won't they bother you and the team?"

He laughs and answers, "Hell, if we can't take care of a few FBI agents then we need to retire."

Frank wakes and declares, "There's no way in hell I'm retiring."

I hug him and ask, "Do you think we can find someplace to stop for breakfast, I'm starving."

Emanuel laughs, "How does someone as small as you eat so much food."

I grin at him and state, "It's your brother's fault, he wears me out all the time."

I smile smugly as both of them blush. Yes it's fun to make big, strong, soldiers blush.

Present – Stacy – In the woods

Ben has become some sort of cell phone tower destroying machine – in fact it has almost become an obsession with him and he's even enlisted the help of his new sidekick Boo-Boo.

I didn't realize just how strong bears are until I saw Boo-Boo tear down a chain link fence. Yeah he tears down the fences, Ben climbs the cell phone tower, scouts out where the next tower is, destroys the tower we're at and then we ride to the next tower.

At first this was sort of fun, you know 'raging against the machine', but now it's become boring and I want to do something else. Then I get an idea and question, "Ben do you think this is wise?"

He looks at me and states, "Sure why not? I'm saving everyone from the annoyance of mobile phones."

I look around the woods and reply, "I really don't see anyone out here. Besides aren't you concerned that someone might come looking for us?"

He thinks for a minute then gripes...

Present – Ben – In the woods

"Shit! You're right, what was I thinking?"

Stacy grins at me and answers, "I don't think you were thinking, I think you were reacting."

Damn I hate it when she's right! I was reacting. I was pissed at every damn secondhand mobile phone conversation I was forced to endure and even more pissed at every damn driver that drove like an idiot because they were on the phone. When I took out the first tower, it felt so good I decided to take out some more.

I'm glad I stopped but now we need to get the hell out of Dodge. I look at Stacy and state, "Well girl we have some hard riding ahead of us so if you need a break take it now."

She angrily states, "I am a woman and yes I do need a break."

She jumps off Patches and heads to the nearest bush and I wonder what her big problem is now? After all, I've been nice to her all day. Women, who can understand them...

Present – Samantha – In the new news van

Frank and Emanuel have been whispering (which gets my reporter's curiosity fired up) so I ask, "Okay what the hell is the big secret you two are trying to hide from me?"

Frank looks at me and answers, "We are just upset about how Ben destroyed the van."

Emanuel adds, "Yes, we are going to kick his ass when we catch him."

I question, "And just how in hell do you plan on catching him?"

Frank answers, "Well, that's one of the things we were discussing."

I complain, "And why wasn't I included in this conversation?"

Emanuel looks guilty and Frank tries, "Honey don't get upset." (Will men never learn, when you starts a sentence with don't get upset, it guarantees we will get upset... ) "But you are a reporter."

I bristle and reply, "Yes I'm a reporter and unless I'm wrong don't you all sort of work for me?"

Emanuel corrects, "Actually it's more like we work with each other because our goals are the same. But should those goals diverge, then we will part ways."

I realize too late that I made a little mistake. The driver announces, "Here's a restaurant that's open." So I make amends, "I'm sorry I think I used a poor choice of words. I tell you what, how about I buy breakfast for all of you."

The guys boil out of the van and head toward the restaurant. I begin to help Frank but he grabs me, gives me an earthshaking kiss and says, "Thanks for the apology, Sam." One thing leads to another and we end up being 'late' for breakfast.

We walk into the restaurant, sit at the table and all the guys are grinning at us and it's my turn to blush...

Present – Stacy – In the woods

When Ben said, 'ride hard' he wasn't kidding! He's really pushed all of us today and I'm beat, Patches is beat, Bo looks beat and even Boo-Boo looks exhausted. I question, "Ben are we going to stop for the night soon?"

Ben points to the dusky sky and says, "You see these lights above the trees? I want to see what they are and then we will stop."

We ride for another weary thirty minutes then I see what looks to be an oasis in the middle of a desert...

Present – Ben – In the woods

Well the lights end up being what looks like a huge honkytonk doing a thriving business. Stacy says, "Civilization! I want a bath and a drink!"

I look at the flashing neon sign that reads 'Bob's Country Bunker' and chuckle because I recognize the name but we're a hell of a long way from Illinois. I caution, "Stacy let's sit out here and observe things for a little while."

I have my concerns, like the fence around the honkytonk and the guards. It looks a little too much like a compound for my liking.

I watch people coming and going, with what seems to be ease, so I make a decision. I tell Stacy, "Keep Wojtek for me, pull your rifle and stand watch. I'm going to ride up and talk to the guards."

She questions, "How will I know if you need help?"

I reply, "Don't fire unless I fire first."

I slowly ride toward Bob's Country Bunker, the guards are finally alerted to me and one demands, "Halt and state your intent."

I stop Bo and stutter (with my Russian accent), "Gr-Gr-Greetings Sir I am a weary traveler who happened upon this place and would like more information."

He replies, "Well you're a foreigner but you ain't mesican so y'ar welcome here."

I reply, "Yes I am from Russia and have been helping America with the bandito problem."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.