Halal
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Cor

Good Thursday

The méchoui had been a rousing success. The party finished late because the following day was Good Friday, a municipal holiday, as would be the following Monday, Easter Monday. Most of the City Hall employees had adopted the Barracuda Beach dress code for the party. Those that did not, wore sarongs for the most part. While I pretended not to notice, as the evening wore on, I saw that most of the women had retied their sarongs to leave the top free and that two of them actually dropped then altogether to go for a midnight swim. Barracuda Beach has a rigid 'no clothing in the pool' policy.

I had circulated a memo at City Hall in the beginning of the week, laying out some pointers, basic suggestions, really, for those committed textiles who where brave enough to confront the display of naked flesh. I didn't expect any trouble; it has been six years now tat the State has required swimming lessons for every child over 10 and in Manatee Bay, that meant skin only lessons at 'Cuda Beach's two pools.

The same thing happened a second time when Willow Lane Elementary burnt down and the only space available was within the resort. It had soon become evident that a clothes-free environment was much more conducive to learning and public pressure forced the school board to declare all the elementary schools and both junior high schools to be clothes-free. The only reason Manatee Bay High School is clothing-optional rather than clothes-free is because of Manatee Bay's 'nudity' by-law. Full nudity is permitted everywhere in the county for children up to the age of 18 but forbidden for adults. About half the students in grade 12 are 18.

When I was elected city councillor four years ago, one of the first things I did was have that by-law amended or rather, clarified; now, anywhere a man may be top-free, the law clearly states that a woman may also. I had also asked Sheriff Fernandez that his deputies do the rounds of all the stores with those 'no shirt, no service' stickers on their doors and tell the owners/managers that such policies were contrary to city by-laws. It didn't take long for the damn things to be removed.

I have to admit to you, dear reader, that I have a long range plan in mind, one that I have not even admitted to my own family, of bringing the entire county to become fully naturist. I suspect, however, that my predecessor, Mayor Bill White, had an inkling of my grand design; the last thing he did before moving to the northern part of the state to be with his great grand-children was to wish me 'good luck' and a wink.

Where was I... ? Oh, yes, I was talking about the méchoui. It had really gone over well, as I mentioned. Chef Jacques' rotisserie/barbecue drew a lot of attention from a gaggle of back-yard mechanics and amateur cooks. I spotted one of my senior civil engineering inspectors with pad in hand, making sketch after sketch of the operating system.

To go with the Mediterranean theme of the barbecue, Chef Jacques had started the meal with a round of pastis, that anise-flavoured drink of his. The drinks went down like water and were a perfect refreshment; several of my staff took refills. I think it's one reason the party went so well. Chef warned me privately, however, to go easy on that stuff because it had quite a kick.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.