The Problems With Love - Cover

The Problems With Love

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 8

The weeks went by and it was July almost before they knew it. Lottë was now working very hard. She was finding her own events, going to some quite small ones but coming up with a number of new and possible future major artists and sculptors. She extolled them in her articles and was not averse to approaching masters on their behalf. The Arts Editor was thrilled with her performance. So was the editor.

She invited Robin to accompany her to the Tate Modern for an evening showing. He was not convinced it was a good idea but did not say so for fear of hurting her feelings. He was not sure at all about modern painting. With someone as knowledgeable and enthusiastic as Lottë though his doubts were soon dispelled and he enjoyed the evening immensely. He also met Sid and liked him. Sid had clearly become very fond and proud of Lottë.

Suddenly, having heard nothing from her for over a month Daphne rang one evening.

"Dad, can I come and stay with you tomorrow night?"

"Of course you can, darling. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"It's something rather important I want to discuss with you. I'll tell you tomorrow."

"Lottë will be here."

"That's all right. Thanks, dad. See you tomorrow."

The telephone went dead.

Robin wondered what on earth Daphne wanted to talk about. Perhaps her research was going to lead her abroad or maybe she was thinking of giving it up to care for sick children in the Sudan or something.

"Do you want me to lose myself?" asked Lottë when he told her.

"No, love. I said you'd be here and she said that was all right."

Daphne arrived in time for tea. Robin immediately spotted that she was not her usual self but unhappy and a bit withdrawn.

All three had a cup of tea and a slice of cake in the sitting room and then Lottë collected up the tea things.

"I'll leave you two to have a talk," she said.

"No, don't go," said Daphne quickly. "You may be able to help too."

"OK. I'll be back in a mo."

She was and they both looked expectantly at Daphne.

"You know Ralph Pennicot..."

"No but I've heard of him."

"Well I fell for him and he fell for me. I think he's winding himself up to propose. We've been talking a lot more recently about how we want to lead our lives.

"On Tuesday evening he dropped a bombshell. He doesn't want to have children. I do. Marriage to me means children but he's quite firm about it. I don't know what to do. Do I chuck him or do I grit my teeth in the faint hope that he'll change his mind after we've been married a few years?"

"Did you tell him you wanted children?" asked Robin.

Daphne nodded and burst into tears.

Lottë was quicker off the mark than Robin and was beside Daphne in a flash, holding her. Her eyes met Robin's.

"Bastard!" she mouthed.

Robin nodded.

At length Daphne pulled herself together. Lottë eased away but Daphne grabbed her hands.

"Thanks, Lots," she said.

Lottë smiled and gently disengaged. She sat down in her chair again.

Daphne looked beseechingly at Robin.

"I think you've got to let him go, sweetheart," he said gently. "It's too big a disagreement to live with."

"But I love him."

"Yes. I understand that but as time goes on and you see Christopher and Andrea with their children and your friends as well you'll yearn again to have your own and I fear that that longing will turn to bitterness and that will bust your marriage."

Daphne turned imploringly to Lottë.

"I agree," she said, "although with my spinsterish attitude I'm not in a strong position. All I do know is that if I ever do marry I shall want children. I love kids and I really love my nephews and nieces."

Daphne nodded.

"I'll tell you something else," Lottë went on. "There are women who don't want children, a very small minority. I mean it's a woman's prime natural role in life and I think it is enormously selfish for a man to try and deny a woman that role. If Ralph doesn't want children he needs either to give up all thought of marriage or make it clear at the outset of a relationship that he doesn't want children. Frankly, Daphne, I think he's behaved despicably. I'm sorry if that's painful but I feel strongly."

Daphne turned back to Robin. "Did you and Mum discuss it early on?"

"Yes. We agreed that having a bundle of children would be fun but economics would keep it down to two or three. When we managed to produce a boy and a girl we decided not to gild the lily."

"So you think Mum would agree with you two."

"Yes, sweetheart. I'm sure she would but if you feel it worthwhile give her a ring now."

Daphne shook her head. "I'm sure you're right," she said. "Dad, could I borrow your bedroom to have a bit of a think on my own?"

"Of course you can. Help yourself."

Daphne smiled sadly and dragged herself from the room.

"Oh dear," said Robin. "Being cruel to be kind isn't much fun, is it?"

"No but we were right. Their marriage wouldn't last five years. I'm sorry if I came on a bit strong or you think I spoke out of turn."

"No, love, you were spot on and jolly brave. Thank you."

Lottë blushed with pleasure. "I'll go and do the tea things," she said.

"Do you want a hand?"

"No thanks. You stay here and play nice music that I can hear while I get dinner organised."

"Bless you, Lottë love."

About an hour later Daphne emerged to collect her case from where she had left it in the hall.

"I'm going to have a bath," she announced to no one in particular.

"Good for you," said Robin. "You do that."

Two minutes later a grinning face appeared round the sitting room door. "I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair," it sang softly then got the giggles and disappeared again.

Robin laughed silently. "Bless you, Lottë," he thought. "You're fun to have around."

Half an hour later Daphne reappeared. "Done!" she said. "I've ditched him. Am I allowed a drink?"

"Of course, sweetheart. Tonic or celebration?"

"Tonic with plenty of gin," she grinned. "Both but actually celebration mostly, I think. I've cast off a big burden."

Robin gave her a hug and kissed her forehead. "That's my girl. I'm proud of you."

Daphne laid her head against his chest. "And I love you, Dad. Thanks for your help."

She released him and turned to Lottë. "Thank you, Lots love. It was brave to say what you did."

Lottë smiled gently at her.

Two months later Daphne rang Robin. "I've got a new man," she said.

"Oh, you have, have you? Long or short term?"

"I don't know at the moment but I made sure I had 'the conversation' with him. He definitely wants children. He has two sisters and a brother and wants to uphold the family tradition."

"Good for him. Make sure he's got plenty of other good qualities though."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.