The Protector
Chapter 72

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

I walked around the house looking for Timmy. When I got to towards the back, I heard yelling and laughing as well as the dogs growling. The sight that greeted my eyes made me chuckle to myself. Sally was down on her back with one of the dogs above her, trying to take the Frisbee away from her. Timmy and the other dog were watching, and Timmy was laughing to the accompaniment of the dogs barking. Jeesh, I thought, some guard dogs these were. I had been told they would interact with the kids like normal dogs, but to see it for myself was a bit of a shocker. Then Timmy saw me and started running in my direction and quick as a flash the Frisbee was stolen out of his hand. He forgot about me and ran after the thief, trying to get his Frisbee back. I watched laughing as the thief would wait till Timmy almost got up to him, and then take off again with Timmy giving him hell the whole time. I was laughing to beat the band and then Michelle came from the back. The thief ran into her and knocker her down. Timmy ran and jumped on her, and she was laughing while trying to get him off her. I whistled real loud and all parties froze looking at me.

"I hate to break this up, guys, but Timmy and I need to get to town before the barber shop closes."

Then Kat spoke from behind me, almost giving me a heart attack because she had snuck up on us without me knowing. She was grinning at my reaction and then Sally started laughing and the rest joined in.

"Jon, we decided that we need to do a little shopping too, so I volunteered you to take us all in with you. I hope you don't mind?"

"Not at all, Hon, but we will all stick together. Timmy and I will get out haircuts while you wait on us then we will take you all shopping. It's been quiet but I don't want to take any chances."

"We already decided we were going to ask you to do it that way."

I just looked at her and got that grin of hers. While Michelle went to get Verna, Kat, Sally, Timmy and I went to the garage to get the truck. While I was backing out, the thought hit me that now I knew why on sudden impulse I had bought the king cab style of truck. When the rest had all piled in, to my surprise, Timmy, Sally, and I were up front with the three women in the back. I looked through the rear view mirror and Kat winked at me. I just smiled and pulled out, heading for town. When we came to the outskirts of town, I had to refresh my memory as to where the barbershop was located and after remembering, headed in that direction. I was surprised when we walked in, the place was dead and I was immediately able to get in the chair. When the barber asked me how I would like it cut, I told him in a short flattop and Timmy immediately piped up saying he wanted the same. That's when it hit the proverbial fan. He and Michelle were really going at it, with the rest of us including the barber laughing at them. Then the focus turned to me and I almost got scalped when I slid down in the chair trying to disappear.

"Jon Morgan, this was your idea, wasn't it? You knew he would want the same haircut you got."

I had the cover they use in all barbershops pulled up far enough to cover my grin, but it wasn't helping me at all when the barber moved it, exposing my ear to ear smile. The look on Michelle's face when she saw my big grin almost made me laugh out loud. I saw her inhaling to really cut loose on me but the next words were Timmy's and he shut us all down with what he had to say.

"Mom, Gampa tried to talk me out of it because he said it would make you mad. Well I am almost four and I am tired of all the fuss you make when you wash and dry it. Even the dogs pull it when we play and it itches when I sweat. I decided to have it cut like Gampa's and I won't change my mind, so there."

I started to laugh until I saw the tears come to Michelle's eyes and cut it off. I nodded my head towards Michelle for Kat to go to her, but Verna quickly pulled her up. They went to the back of the shop and were talking back and forth quietly. The barber finished me, and then Timmy climbed up in the chair. The barber had to put in a booster for him to sit on. When they got settled and Timmy had the cloth over him, the barber looked at me before asking again how Timmy would like it cut.

"I want it cut just like my gampa's, Mr. Barber."

"Well, young man, I can cut any way you like, but I won't cut it that way unless your mom gives me permission. I certainly don't want her to get mad at me because I didn't ask first."

Timmy twisted in the chair and gave him a mean look before saying two words.

"Cut it!"

I turned towards Kat to keep from laughing out loud at his actions, and got a dirty look from her when she realized what I was doing. I was saved when Michelle walked back up, stopping in front of the chair and looking at Timmy like she was trying to memorize what he looked like. Then she spoke and I felt better about her for the first time by what she had to say to Timmy.

"Timmy, if you're sure, I won't object. I guess your trying to forget as much as I am, and I think it's time we both tried to put it all behind us. I love you and sometimes I forget you're growing up. You get it cut however you want to, my son."

Timmy scrambled up in the chair and hugged her, kissing her on the cheek, then sat back down, waiting for the barber to start with a big smile on his face. Michelle sat down and the barber started cutting. I think for every lock of hair that fell she shed a tear. I sat down next to Kat, feeling a little guilty, thinking I was the catalyst for this. Kat turned my head toward her, kissed me lightly on the lips before whispering in my ear; "I know you didn't plan this, but I think she is finally on the road to being free, and starting to heal from all she has been through."

I didn't say anything, but watched as the barber finally finished and put a little bit of hair tonic on Timmy's head so the hair would stand up. He held up a mirror so Timmy could see, and the smile when he looked in it made Sally laugh.

"Now I got two Legionnaires I have to put up with, it's just not fair."

Timmy stuck his tongue out at her which she promptly returned before turning red when she realized we were all watching her actions. We all started laughing as Timmy got out of the chair and I went up to pay.

"Mr. Morgan, yours is five-fifty, but Timmy's is free because it's his first time in my shop. I always give the first haircut free. Now when he comes back he will have to pay to have himself scalped again."

"My gampa will make sure I have the money to pay for my haircut."

As we walked out the door, we were all still laughing. We climbed back into the truck and I had just put the key in the ignition when a male voice, slurring his words, spoke next to my window.

"Mr. you don't need all those pretty women. Why don't you loan us a couple, and we will bring them back when we are finished."

There were two men standing or swaying next to the truck with big grins on their faces. I didn't even answer just slammed the door open into the one next to it, and as he staggered back, I jumped out.

"Jon, don't kill them," I heard Kat yell as I kicked the first one in the privates. He went down and the second one just stood for a few seconds with his mouth hanging open. He looked at me and started toward me, and I jumped up and kicked him in the mouth as hard as I could. I felt teeth give way as well as hearing his jaw crack. He went down, out cold, and I stood there ready to kick the other one again if he was able to get up. I heard the short burst of the siren in the background before the Sheriff came up asking what happened. I told him with the women backing me up, and he called an ambulance for them while taking my statement. I signed, as well as the others, and he said we could go on to wherever we were going. I climbed back into the truck but the mood for now was somber as we drove toward the small mall on the outskirts of town. When we pulled up and parked, Timmy, as usual, broke all of us out in laughter again.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.