The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 70

For the next two weeks, it seemed that I was getting on everyone's nerves as the construction went on. Kat made sure I did not help out unloading trucks or anything else that would possibly reinjure my arm. Finally, my office was complete after Jimmy had rewired it so that I would keep up to date with the world. Kat ran me out of the house as soon as it was done. She and Myrna were going to make sure I did not have any say in how the nursery was decorated or how our new bedroom was going to be set up. Truth of the matter was, I was happy to stay out in my office and get caught up on some paperwork as well as make some needed calls in private. I remembered fondly when I used to go to my office and close the door so I would not be bothered, but now that I was married, I just knew that was not going to happen. I was right when Jimmy came out the day after I moved in and hooked up the intercom. He was grinning at the look on my face while he worked.

"Don't be mad at me, Jon, your Mrs. is the one who called and asked me to hook it up in here. She and Myrna are having them put in the cottage as well as most of the bedrooms in the house. I am also supposed to install some top of the line baby monitors in your room as well as the nursery. Because of the fact that the old intercom is still button controlled, you can turn the sound down and ignore the irritating buzz. Kat told me just to add on to them instead of putting in a completely new system. While I am here today, I am going to walk the property and check out the condition of the cameras we installed. Man, hooking you in to the guard station as well as the two new ones in the barn area gave me a bit of a problem until I just decided to put in another monitor. The big one mounted on the wall is hooked into all the cameras and runs off channel 3 on the tuner. Each camera is numbered on the bottom left of the picture and the channel control will let you turn just that camera on by its number. They all have sound and once you press the button to move to a one camera view, the sound comes on automatically. You cannot zoom in now, but I am working on that with the new cameras I am building. I have been busy while you were getting married. I put cameras in Jeb's store as well as the new church. I also got the job to install the sound system as well as their radio system. I had never installed short-wave radio before and had to read up on it."

I have to admit that from that point; I kinda tuned him out, thinking about the short-wave he had installed. Although I wasn't an expert on them, I knew the basics. I wondered, if Jeb's kinfolk were breaking away as he said, why they would need a short-wave setup. Someone was doing some spying, and depending on the power of the radio, they could talk to almost anywhere in the world with it. I was thinking that tomorrow I would go to the gun store and have a serious talk with Jeb, and find out what he knew about the radio. Besides, I had promised Timmy we were both going to get a haircut tomorrow. I would just swing by and talk to Jeb on my way back here. I had snuck out last week under the pretense of going to the bank to get Kat her own charge card, and had shipped the disks to Quanta. He and I had had a long talk about them and he thought he could arrange wire transfers from the offshore banks to his. The Swiss accounts were a different matter because they required you to appear in person with the right account number as well as the password. I was not going to use the money but I was going to do my best to make sure the leaders in hiding did not get their hands on it. Besides, Kat and I both had been seriously talking about moving back to the island until the babies were due. Sally would be staying with Judy if we did and Myrna had not made up her mind. She seemed to be waiting for Farley and Jubal to come back before she did anything. According to the Director, they were almost done and would be coming back in a day or so. When I had told Myrna, she got a big smile on her face and Kat just shook her head, smiling at her. The rest of the time, I spent in here, with either Sally or Timmy making sure they stopped in to talk and check up on me. I had to admit I was getting bored with it all, and was already putting a few feelers out to see what cases I could take without being away from here for too long.

I still had the morning sickness, much to Kat's delight, but I had gotten used to it and just let it wash over me. I knew I could not have my coffee or anything to eat for at least an hour after I did my thing in the bathroom to Kat's chuckling. Now that was getting tiresome. I had made an appointment with my doctor until Kat found out why and threatened to choke me. Personally, I thought three kids were more than enough. She said she did not want to talk about it right now, and to just wait for a better time. At least we were safe for several months, but I would be bringing the subject up again after these three were born. I finally realized it was quiet out, and looked at my watch. The work crews had already left and I was hungry, so I headed for the house. I had been careful not to let my temper get out of control, but I was getting tired of being in the garage every day and only being allowed in my own home for meals or to sleep. It was rapidly coming to a head because I was tired of being bossed around all the time. This time I would have to be careful how I handled it. When I went through the front door I remembered Jimmy was still out on the property, so I headed out back to see if I could find him and invite him for supper. I knew it was almost ready because I could smell it. When I went around back, two of the dogs were waiting for me and led off in the direction of the barn. I followed them and within a few minutes, I found Jimmy lying on the ground between the barn and the house. He was about half out, and was bleeding around the back of his head. I helped him up and headed toward the back door, carrying most of his weight. I yelled for Kat to bring her bag as soon as we got in the door. She must have had it downstairs already because she immediately showed up with Myrna and Sally following within a few moments.

"What happened, Jon?"

"I don't know, Kat, but as soon as he is able to talk we can find out."

Kat, being her usual efficient self, had him checked out and said it was just a small cut and would not need stitches. She popped one of those ammonia inhalers under his nose and he came awake almost immediately, pushing her hand away from his nose.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.