The Protector - Cover

The Protector

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 66

When we got back to the house, Trina immediately told us we better get ready soon since we were the guests of honor. We went upstairs and Kat got into the shower while I shaved and brushed my teeth. When she was done, I quickly took mine. We got dressed with me in shorts and sandals and her wearing one of the sarongs the native women had made for her. I hadn't seen this one before, and to me it looked like some type of silky material. When she stood looking at me, it seemed to match her green eyes and red hair perfectly. To say her beauty was breathtaking would be a total understatement.

"Kat, I have no idea how I ever got lucky enough to meet and marry you, but I am forever grateful I found you. You have to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever laid eyes on. You have completed me in ways you can never begin to understand. Now, let's join the party so I can show you off to everyone there. Oh, by the way, remember tonight will be the name drawing, so remember what I said about some of the names you might hear, and don't get mad because its all in fun."

She didn't say a word but just smiled and quickly kissed me, almost pulling me out of the door. When we went out on the patio, all of our guests were sitting together and I was surprised by how many villagers, as well as Legionnaires, were all there. There had to be at least fifty folding chairs set up for the soldiers, and most of the villagers that weren't serving were all sitting around on the grass on mats. There was a festive atmosphere that everyone I looked at seemed to be enjoying. Quanta and his family were all on the opposite side of where Kat, Sally, Myrna, and I were seated. Verna, Michelle and Timmy were seated to my right and three ship Captains were seated at my left. The other tables were for the village elders with Koma and Pala each sitting at the head of a table. Looking around, I saw that the guard had been doubled because of all of us being in one place. I knew then the Corporal had been busy setting up the security. There were big tubs of beer as well as other refreshments sitting in different areas. Except for the soldiers, this was just like a big BBQ at home. Before the meal was served, I had to endure several speeches from Koma to the ships' Captains. That was when the fun began, or so I thought at the time.

Sally stood up and announced she would be drawing the names out of the hat for the triplets' names to be picked from. At this announcement, almost all the Legionnaires stood up clapping and shouting. She wasn't finished yet and her next statement started them booing her at which point she just grinned and made a rude gesture with her finger. I thought Myrna was going to jump up and snatch her bald if the looks were any indication.

"Men, I have already been warned by a couple of you about some of the rude names that were put in the two hats. Because of this, I, with the Corporal's help, went through them earlier. I must say that I am disappointed in you, because I thought most of you were my friends. I guess that thought was wasted because I was rather disappointed in some of the rude names I found in the hats. I told all of you that this was for my new brothers and sister and not a joke. Because of the rudeness of some of you, I have decided to keep the best and let everyone vote on them."

This almost started a riot when several of the soldiers jumped up and started shouting at Sally. I felt the familiar anger, but before I could say anything, the Corporal stepped into the light next to Sally. At the sight of him the men immediately quieted. Since he was speaking in French, I hoped that neither Myrna nor Kat could understand what he was saying because it wasn't pretty.

"You sorry bunch of trash, you would boo our host's daughter. She gave you a chance to help her name her brothers and sister and you put filthy smut in the hat, thinking it was funny. She is one of us and for you to treat her in this manner is a personal affront to me. If any of you don't like the way she is doing the names, we can take the walk in the morning. How about it, do any of you wish to take the walk with me?"

I stood up and joined Sally putting my arm around her before saying anything.

"Men if it weren't for my shoulder I would take the challenge of all comers myself. If the challengers will give me a couple of weeks to heal, I will be more than willing to accept. My daughter has become one of you by your own vote, and yes I know about the vote. She decided to let her friends, you, help with the naming of her brothers and sister. Some of you thought this great honor would be a way to embarrass her at the drawing of the names. To you, I say you are not Legionnaires but gutter trash. You have shamed those of us who came before you and gave our all to the Corps. If I hear any more comments directed at my daughter, I will burn all the names and you all will be invited to leave my home."

I went back to the table and sat down, and had to tell Kat and Myrna that it was nothing serious. The Corporal stood next to her with his hand on her shoulder as he spoke again.

"Those of you that put the filthy names in the hats, we have burned them as they should have never been there. There are many new faces here tonight that have no sense of honor from what I read of some of the names. Our little Legionnaire here is Sally, the daughter of the Wolf of Algiers. If any of you are foolish enough to accept his challenge then I will assure you, you will not come back from the walk under your own power."

Then the murmuring among them started, and the Corporal let it go on for a few minutes before he told them the rules concerning the drawing of the names. They would be drawn one at a time, and everyone present would hold up their hands signifying if they liked it or not. The most popular name would be the one Sally would have the final say on. There would be four for the boys and three for the girl. The final decision will be by hands from everyone. This time he was speaking in fractured English so most of the people sitting around could understand what he was saying. Sally helped out when he couldn't think of the right word. Sally then reached under the table and set two Kepis on the table. There was a commotion in the dark, and I saw one of the soldiers pushing his way forward toward the table where Sally and the Corporal were standing. I reached for the gun at my back and held it in my lap. When he got up to the table he formally saluted the Corporal then bowed to Sally.

"I wish to formally apologize for the name I dropped in the hat. I have shamed myself as a Legionnaire. Being one of the new guards here, I did not realize the seriousness of the name drawing. I will step forward tomorrow for formal punishment at your discretion Corporal. I also wish to formally apologize to the Wolf of Algiers for abusing his home and hospitality."

He stepped to the side and stood at attention for a moment before going back to his seat. To my surprise this was repeated by almost a dozen men over the next fifteen minutes. I had to explain to Kat and Myrna as well as the rest of my guests what was being said, and why the parade of men was coming to the table. I looked over at the Captains and to a man they were sipping beer and smiling at the men's actions. I was not only shocked at their actions, but proud of the way they were conducting themselves. Sally, being the trooper she was, just smiled and thanked them for their apologies. When the last man had come forward she reached into the hat and drew the first name.

"The first name is Alexander!"

There were cheers from all over the yard as she announced the first name. She went through and did the same thing twenty more times and only two of the names received cheers. The other two were Joshua and Nicolas. Those three ended up being the most popular by all the cheers from the crowd. Then she started pulling the girl's names, and I was watching Kat out of the corner of my eye and had to grin at some of the grimaces she made when Sally called out some of the names. Only two of the names brought a lot of cheers from the crowd. I had to admit to myself I didn't like either one of them, but I had given my word to Kat so I would accept what Sally chose. I just sat and waited to see which two of the boy's names would be chosen as she went back to them after drawing the girl's names. After it was all over and done with, my two sons would be named Alexander and Nicolas. I had to admit to myself I liked both of them, and everyone at my table had smiles including Kat and Myrna when they were the two chosen. Then came the two girl's names, and I could see Kat was gripping the table in a death grip as Sally called out the two names listening to the crowd trying to decide which was the most cheered. She finally chose and Kat smiled and released her grip on the table. I was trying to smile but found it hard because the name chosen was not one I personally would have picked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.