The Protector
Chapter 52

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

I relaxed more and more as the evening went on. I just couldn't help it, what with all the good company I had sitting with me around the big table. As I glanced around, everyone seemed to be laughing and having a good time. Even Myrna was laughing with Kat at something Farley said. Considering the fact that she had just broken up with Carver, I kind of thought of the laughter as good medicine. I started to say something when I caught the last word of a comment from Myrna, "Babies". Shut up before you stick your foot in it again, I was thinking to myself as I bit off my smart retort. Luckily before Kat could follow through with the question I just knew was coming, Quanta's cell rang. He glanced at the face of it and handed it to me. It was Maurice returning my call.

"Jon, how are you doing, mon ami? That information we got from you has shaken the minister to his boots."

I was immediately on guard, because when Maurice starts addressing anyone in formal French, it usually means trouble is coming.

"Jon, I have been in meetings with the President as well as the Commanders of the Legionnaires that are in our outlying colonies. They are overjoyed at the information you have sent us from those disks your guest furnished. By the way, I was authorized by the President to give that person a large reward. As soon as you can, send me their bank numbers and I will transfer it to them. Jon, two of the caches mentioned on that disk have already been raided and the weapons destroyed. We also have agents currently working to destroy the rest. Also, my friend, you will have to come back to France in the near future as the President is presenting you with another medal. This one is for valor with the wreath of service to France and her people. I have some more news, but I think you will not like what I am about to say, my friend. The President has been in contact with yours and he has appointed you as the go between for our two countries. Jon, your President and ours want this church stopped. They are going to put you in charge of making this happen. When you return, you will be in charge of the raids on their compounds as well as finding any arms they have hidden away. According to the disk, all four compounds have large caches of weapons hidden away. You are being attached by way of Interpol to the Homeland Security Forces there as a special liaison. Essentially, you will be in charge and all raids are to be lead by you. All arms found are to be destroyed immediately. Both Presidents have decided not to confiscate them, but to take pictures and then destroy them. With what we have, as well as pictures, it will be enough to prosecute the leaders of each compound. Jon, they want you and Homeland Security to break the churches' back as well as the grip on their members. Before you threaten to strangle me, I had no idea that the President was going to assign you to the job."

"Maurice, I am getting married the day after tomorrow and I will not let anything get in the way of that. I will do the job for them, but I will tell you right now, my family and friends come before the church. I will meet with them when I get back but until them, I do not want to be bothered by anyone for any reason. You, my friend, have stirred up enough problems for me here with your big mouth."

He was laughing so hard it sounded like he was choking. He finally was able to get a breath, and became his usual flippant self.

"Ah, but Jon, that's what friends are for. If I did not speak up for you, who would?"

"Well, if you volunteer me for anything else, I will send Kat to look you up and handle that big mouth of yours. I know how afraid you are of red headed women. Do not think I have forgotten about that little incident in Ireland a few years ago. By the way, did she ever find you to claim payment for the twin girls, Papa?"

"Ah Jon, yes she did, much to my regret. She came here to headquarters and was let in as a visitor. I will not try to relate the embarrassment I felt from her tongue in front of all my fellow agents. Even after we took the tests and it was proven they weren't mine, she still cursed me for not adopting them as mine. We found out that Jasque was the father, and his family has adopted them as their own. It is too bad he cannot be here to watch them grow. I made sure his stipend is sent to them every month, to help with their educations when they grow older. Besides, if I remember correctly, you too have a few incidents in your past that you would like to forget."

"Very funny, Maurice. Unlike yours, mine were easily explained as well as forgotten. Maurice, I will do the job, but there are a few things I am going to want as soon as it's over."

"I think if you complete this properly, you can ask almost anything and it will be granted for your service."

"I will hold you to that, my friend. Now, I have another favor to ask of you."

I went on to tell him what I wanted and how I wanted it arranged. To my surprise, he said no problem, that it would be entered into the records immediately. I let out a sigh of relief and thanked him for his help. He said that the other cruiser was in the process of lifting the sub and should have it unloaded by dawn. He asked if I wanted any of the weapons for my personal use, and I told him if there were any good pistols I would like to have several boxes of them and ammo for my armory here. He said as soon as he had a list of what was aboard, he would make sure I got what I wanted. I also told him I wanted to take some back with me when I left, and asked if he could arrange the paperwork so I could get through customs. He said it would all be ready by the time I left the islands. We hung up after a little kidding between us. I walked back to the table to see that the only person there was Kat, who was waiting on me so we could go up to our rooms together. I was immediately kissed as we headed up to bed.

I told her to turn on the TV since I had no idea how. I hadn't seen one up here. She went over to the night stand, pulled out a remote, and pushed a button. A big TV slid out of a slot in the ceiling at the foot of the bed. I must have had a weird look on my face because Kat was laughing at me as I watched it slide down. I had never seen anything like this and immediately went over to check it out. From what I could tell, without looking up into the ceiling, it was on rollers and a track with cables attached to the sides to raise and lower it. I was still thinking about how it worked when Kat pulled me into the shower with my clothes still on, laughing at me as I undressed. I took one look at her and was lost again. I silently wondered to myself if she had some kind of spell on me, because I had never been affected this way before by any woman. When she saw me looking at her so intently, she kissed me. I was in a fog from that point on until later, when we laid down together in the bed and she turned the TV on.

Jerry was right, it was the big story of the evening. Every station trying to figure out who had sent the list and if it was being actively investigated by the law enforcement agencies. They went on to say that they couldn't release any names now, but that they would be forthcoming in the morning broadcast. When they went to weather, Kat shut it off. Then I didn't think about the list or anything else but Kat until I fell asleep exhausted. I woke the next morning to someone knocking at the door and automatically said come in. It was the young native girl with our breakfast. As she arranged it on the table, she said that Myrna had told her to bring it up as she figured we were still in bed. She left and giggled as she closed the door. I smiled, thinking about that giggle and how we had met the first time.

"Wake up, sleepy head. Breakfast is on the table and I am starved."

At the sound of me announcing food, Kat popped up with a smile, kissed me, and ran for the bathroom. Now that sight woke me up and brought a big smile to my face. I wondered if she would run to the table dressed the same way. No such luck, she had gotten a robe from the bathroom and had it on when she came out. She must have seen the disappointment on my face, because she laughed and said there would be plenty of time for perving when we were married. I got on a pair of clean jeans just in time, because there was another knock at the door. Sally came in carrying a tray and set the contents on the table with ours, then sat down next to Kat.

"Dad, if we lived here could we be served like this every day?"

"No you could not! I would have you in the kitchen helping to earn your way like you do with Myrna when we're at home."

She stuck her tongue out at me and she and Kat broke up laughing when I grabbed it. She kept trying to talk as I pulled it out and sprinkled pepper on it, then let it loose. I thought Kat was going to fall off her chair laughing at the look on Sally's face when she realized it was pepper on her tongue. She quickly drank her orange juice, swishing it around in her mouth before she spoke.

"That was mean Dad and not fair. I will get even with you for that one. You know I have a long memory too."

"Well young pretty girls should be seen and not heard. Besides you get spoiled enough without being waited on hand and foot all the time. Now let's eat before the food gets cold."

We were about half way through the meal when I saw a look pass between Sally and Kat. I was instantly on my guard but what happened next caught us both by surprise.

"Dad, do you like seafood?"

"Yes, if it's prepared right. Why do you ask, Sally?"

She looked at me with a grin on her face and opened her mouth wide which it showed a mouthful of half chewed food. I made a face as I grimaced and looked over at Kat. She had a shocked look on her face, just before she busted out laughing and sprayed orange juice all over me. She calmed down and I went to the bathroom to clean up. I heard her tell Sally; "We used to pull the same trick when I was in school. I don't think Jon is going to appreciate the humor of it though. After all, I just gave him a bath in orange juice. Maybe you better duck your head and pretend to be innocent until we see how he reacts."

"Ok, Kat, but I thought the look on his face was funny."

"So did I, but you caught me by surprise too. Let's both act like nothing's happened when he comes out."

They started that snickering when I came out. I put another shirt on before I came back to the table. I sat down and grabbed another cup of coffee and just gave them both a dirty look before I said anything. The whole time I was fighting to keep from smiling at them. I looked at Sally in a stern manner trying not to laugh at the sheepish look on her face when she saw my look.

"I can see right now, young lady, that I am going to have to have a talk with Myrna about your table manners. As for you, Kat, I think from now on I will start wearing a bib when I am dining with you, in case of another accident from your drinking problem."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.