The Protector
Chapter 26

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

I waited until we were seated in the restaurant before opening my mouth.

"Tiny, the Runt and two of his men are here too. Let's make sure the girls are covered every minute. I am pretty sure he came to talk to me and will wait till I go to the men's room to do it. Don't worry about me, just keep the girls safe. Oh, and make sure Jimmy checks the limo for tracking devices. That's the only way I figure he knew where we were going to be this evening. He has no eyes or ears at the house now, so it has to be the limo since it's always coming and going. Tiny, regardless of what you hear or see, stay with the girls. I can take care of myself."

"Jon, he is in for a big surprise if he or any of his men start something here. I have four people spread throughout the restaurant and a couple outside watching the entrances. Believe me when I say he would go down quick if he tried a snatch here. The friends I have around us don't play, and they hate child abusers with a passion. I think we can enjoy our meal in peace."

"Ok, Tiny, let's go with the flow and see where it takes us. I know he will try to talk to me about some kind of deal, and I am curious to see what he comes up with. Kat, Sally can explain what we are talking about since she knows the Runt from the hospital. I really don't want to go through the whole thing again because it would ruin my evening to do so."

"Don't worry, Jon, Sally already told me all about what he tried to pull on you. She saw him before you did, I think, and pointed him out to me while we were still outside. If we have to go to the lady's room, I think one of these steak knives could do a lot of damage in the right hands. Sally and I will be just fine. On the other hand, you need to be careful with your wounds, so don't try kicking any butt tonight please."

"Spoken like a true nurse."

We all got a laugh out of it. When the waiter came over, we ordered and then sat back, chatting and enjoying a pleasant evening. Since this was the first time any of us had been out since I tied one on, it was a fun and laughter filled evening for me. Sally and I had always tried to eat out together several times a week, but since all of this started, she had been confined to the house, and I knew she was bored to tears. Tomorrow night was her prom, and there was no way in the world she was going to miss it. She had been looking forward to it for months. I knew deep inside that she would be perfectly safe in Tiny's hands for the evening. Besides, I had that meeting set with Jubal and Farley and I sure wasn't going to miss that. Maybe if it got over early enough, I would join Tiny at the school for the rest of the evening. I was brought back to the present by the waiter setting our food on the table. Kat ordered another glass of wine, and Sally asked her for a drink when it came. Kat looked at me and I nodded my head that it was ok. Hell, I thought, in Italy everyone drank wine instead of water, so this sip wasn't about to hurt her.

Kat and Tiny started laughing at the face she made when she took a sip. Of course Sally wasn't about to let it pass. She immediately started chewing on Tiny, much to Kat's amusement. I was watching them and trying to pay attention to the Runt too. I noticed he and one of the men with him were having an intense conversation. If the looks of anger meant anything, then the Runt was not in charge like I thought he was. The other man was obviously the leader of the group and I could tell the Runt didn't like what he was hearing. He was talking intensely to the man, and from what I could see, he was being over ruled at every turn. He finally said something then sat back with a look of disgust on his face. The leader started talking on a cell phone and I didn't like the look of it. I felt my inner guard raising its suspicions and I had a feeling the whole night had just changed for the worse. I immediately suspected the worst and watched them carefully as they got up and left without leaving a tip for their waitress. The movement caught Tiny's eye and he too watched as they left. When they got out the door, I saw a look of relief on his face.

"I don't think this is over, Tiny. The older man was the boss, and from what I saw, he didn't like what the Runt told him at all. I think when we leave, we had better keep a sharp lookout all the way home. I think they are going to try something, and it will probably be tonight. You girls be sure and listen to whatever either of us say if it goes down."

"Jon, my people will be following us to your house, so we will have some backup if we need it. I just find it hard to believe they would have the guts to try something when they know we saw them."

"That's just it, Tiny, that man who was leading them acted arrogant, and the Runt was forced to accept what he said. I think we just saw the leader of the church in person. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would take no for an answer from one of his underlings. He was just too smug when he got off the phone. I have learned over the years, when someone in power looks that way, he is already sure of what he's ordered someone else to do. The only one at this table who would be any good to use against me would be Sally. Kat, as far as they know, is a nurse from the hospital. I don't think they would take that much notice of her, figuring I had hired her to take care of my wounds. They might try for me or you, except for the fact either one of us would be more trouble than it was worth to try to control. No, it has to be Sally, and I will shoot to kill if they make a move on her or Kat."

"Jon, I am an excellent shot with a small pistol. My husband taught me how to handle several different types. He used to get mad because I could out shoot him on the range with one. If you have a backup and something does happen, pass it to me and I will make sure we are safe so you don't have to worry about covering us too. I know Tiny has a gun in the limo, because I saw the stock of it under the seat when Sally got in the front."

"Dammit Tiny, suppose you got stopped or something? You could go back to jail or even go to prison for having a concealed weapon. I don't want to lose the closest thing to a friend I have over a damned gun. Next time, leave it at home and don't take any more chances like that."

"Jon, that shotgun has always been in the limo in case one of my customers has trouble. The local police know I carry it because they were the ones to suggest it years ago when I got my bond to operate Limo's for Hire. I haul the U.S. Attorney General around on his time off. He gave me his personal numbers to call if I ever had a problem with any of the authorities. I really don't think there will be a problem for me, and if what you're anticipating comes true, then it will come in handy. Don't worry, Jon, I won't go to prison. Oh, and thanks for considering me your friend. I always thought I was just a muscleman with a tiny brain to you."

"Smart ass!"

He and the girls busted out laughing as we got up to leave. I dropped a twenty on the table, feeling bad for the waitress who hadn't gotten a tip from the Runt's table. I looked over and it hadn't been cleaned yet, so I took the long way past his table as I headed to the cash register and dropped a five-dollar tip as I passed. Since they hadn't eaten, the five would be more than the coffee, so she would at least have a little bit for her time and trouble. When I got up to the register, Kat gave me a big smile, and I knew she had seen what I did. Tiny had gone out ahead of us to get the limo while we paid the bill with my credit card, but he ran back in before I had even signed the receipt.

"Jon, the limo's been towed! The boy who handles the cars said a company called Packard towing took it less than five minutes after we went inside. It was parked legal and I don't owe a thing on it. What the hell is going on?"

"Well, I think I just got one question answered. They must have had a recording device hidden in it that they wanted to recover. Call the police and report it stolen. I bet they will find it within ten minutes, abandoned on some side street. Let's get a cab home. Tiny, you wait here and fill out all the forms for the police, but have your people follow us home at a distance. I don't think we will be bothered any more tonight. When they finally hear that recording, there are going to be some mad people. They gave themselves away for nothing. Now I know why the Runt was looking so disgusted."

"Ok, Jon, but you be careful until you get home. The Olds is hidden out of sight at your place, in the garage,. The keys are under the mat on the passenger side. Use it until you can get your truck back, but remember what I said about pushing buttons."

We left Tiny there and caught a cab home and weren't bothered at all. I was surprised I couldn't catch the tails I knew Tiny had on us, so I knew his people were good at what they were doing. I tipped the cab driver heavily and he thanked, me giving me his card, saying if I ever needed him, just call. I shut down the alarm and we went inside. All of us headed straight for the kitchen. I had just started a pot of coffee when Myrna and Carver came in to join us, asking how our night went.

Of course I didn't get to say a thing, as was usual. Sally took over telling them everything that happened. I had to chuckle to myself a couple of times, hearing her put herself into the first tense as she told the story. I grabbed a refill and saw Kat was looking at me, so I nodded my head toward the other room. She slipped out behind me, leaving Sally still telling her story. We went into the studio and sat down on the couch, sipping our coffee.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.