Once Upon a Fantasy
Chapter 5: Picking up the Pieces

Copyright© 2012 by Coaster2

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 5: Picking up the Pieces - Just when things were looking blackest for Norm Tyler, along came a fantasy

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Cheating  

"I'm still having a hard time believing her lawyer agreed to these terms, Norman," Margaret Shadbolt said shaking her head after once again having read the separation agreement. "I have to assume Andrea dictated these terms. They have guilt written all over them."

I nodded. "Yeah, that was my interpretation too. I guess I should count myself lucky. All that planning and guessing that Emilio and I did seems to be for nothing."

"Well, not nothing," Margaret said, still examining the document. "But certainly not as aggressive as I expected. As far as the business goes, you will retain full ownership until or unless you sell it, in which case she will receive one-third of the value as of the date of the divorce. That amount will be fixed as part of the agreement. In the interim, in lieu of alimony, you will pay her ten percent of the previous year's net profit, distributed monthly. From what Emilio told me, that would amount to something over two thousand dollars a month.

"Since she and Mr. Howell intend to marry as soon as the divorce is final, the issue of the profit share is moot. You keep the house and most of the furnishings. If you sell it, the net gain is divided equally. And the biggie, of course, is that you get sole custody of the children. Have you worked out a visitation schedule for Andrea yet?"

"No. I'm going to leave it to her to decide. The separation from the children was very hard on her and them. I think they booth need a cooling off period. I guess the good thing is that Brandon and Candice both seem to be back to something resembling normal. Brandon wants to be in on the hiring of a housekeeper and Candy is trying to set me up with some of her friends' single mothers."

Margaret laughed. "Well good luck with that. What about you? What are you going to do with yourself?"

"Spend as much time with the kids as I can. I want to make sure I'm really in their lives. They're at a vulnerable age, I think. I want them to feel secure and I want them to feel a part of the family decision-making."

"Sounds like a sensible idea, but let me give you a bit of advice from someone who's been there. Don't smother them. They value their independence and each year they get the reward of a bit more when trust is there. It's very important that they know the rules, but it's also important that they get a chance to make some decisions for themselves. They won't always be good decisions, but you can't control every minute of their lives."

I nodded my agreement. "I think I know that, but I guess time will tell if I can live up to my self-promises."

That was the end of our last meeting. The divorce would be final in three months since it was uncontested. I wouldn't say I felt good about it, only relieved. It could have been much worse. There was no acrimony, no threats, no arguing over assets.

We never even had to propose a settlement. That was Margaret's strategy since she detected Andrea's sincerity in making the process as painless as possible. We would have proposed giving her much more than she asked for. As Margaret said, there was guilt written all over that document. When the conciliator received her settlement offer and we accepted, his job was done.


I'd made it a habit that come hell or high water I would be at the kids' school events. I'd begun that long before Andrea and I had split when Brandon made the middle school football team. He was never the best athlete, but he was probably the most dedicated. He was a part-time player to begin with but played himself onto the first team through hard work. I was immensely proud of his attitude and effort.

He made the first team in his first year of high school despite not being very big or fast. He was, however, a tireless worker and a demon tackler. He played several defensive backfield and linebacker positions. In his junior year, the coach made him a co-captain as a reward for his hard work. From Brandon's point of view, it wasn't that big a deal. He just wanted to play.

In his senior year, he made the district all-star team as a cornerback, even though he also played linebacker and rover-back. His sure tackling and endless energy was visible to anyone watching, especially me. But his biggest cheerleader was Candice. His sister came to every game and afterwards critiqued his play. It was fun to listen to them argue, win or lose, about some play or other.

He also played baseball in the spring and once again, showed his determination and versatility. Having already made a name for himself with the coaches, he worked hard to contribute whatever he could to the team. As a result, he played several different positions including, catcher, third base and outfield. His hitting was in the middle of the pack bouncing around the .300 mark. It was his hustle that once again made him visible. As it was with football, he loved to play. And as it was with football, Candy was at every game.

Candy had tried out for cheerleader the first year she was in high school, but didn't make it. She was upset, of course. It was the perfect way for her to be at all the events and get some recognition too. She tried again during her sophomore year and this time she succeeded. She was delighted with her success and new status with the boys. Being a cheerleader was a very big deal.

When Andrea and I divorced, Candy was sixteen and Brandon had just celebrated his eighteenth birthday. She was finishing up her sophomore year and he was completing his senior year. I didn't want them to be on their own during the summer.

I had hired Frances Ormstead as housekeeper and she proved to be a good choice. Each weekday she would arrive at ten in the morning and leave at seven or thereabouts. She would never take the place of their mother, but she would turn out to be quite firm with them when she needed to be. Naturally, both of them tested her to see what the boundaries were and quickly found out they were not any different than their mother's or mine.

I didn't ask Frances's age, but I guessed it to be something close to fifty. Her husband had been badly injured in Afghanistan and his disability benefits were not enough to maintain his assisted care and their standard of living, modest as it was. She needed permanent work and I offered it. Even when the children were grown and gone I could see the need for someone to cook and clean. I had no thoughts about getting married again, so I felt comfortable offering her the job.

My plan was to take a family vacation sometime in late July or early August. We had some long discussions on where to go and what to do. I didn't try to lead the discussion or influence them, but it was obvious they were at opposite ends of the spectrum. I did what all parents do in that situation, I made an arbitrary decision.

"Okay, here's how it's going to go. Brandon, you can go to football camp the first two weeks of August. Candy, you can go with Deb and her parents to Quebec assuming they still intend to invite you and I approve. It won't hurt you to learn a different language, even if it is only for two weeks."

One millisecond later they were high-fiving each other. I apparently had been set up. I should have known better, looking at the grin on Mrs. Ormstead's face.

"I suppose you two think you're clever. Well, in early July we are going to spend one week together in New York City. Mrs. Ormstead, I'd like you to accompany us. Do I hear any objections?"

I had already discussed this with our housekeeper and while she felt I was being overly generous, she agreed to be Candy's chaperone when needed. I got the impression she was thrilled about being in the "Big Apple" since she'd never been there before. For that matter, neither had any of us and I got nothing but enthusiasm from my children. It was going to be a great summer, even if I was only taking one week off for myself.

Brandon had selected a college that specialized in business and technology. He was interested in business administration and this school appeared to be exactly what he wanted. Unfortunately, it was three hundred miles from home and that meant he would be gone for most of the year. He wasn't eligible for any assistance or scholarships but our college savings plan would look after his needs.

His graduation present was a four-year-old Volkswagen Golf. I knew the dealer and it carried a one year warranty due to the low mileage. It was a sensible, economical car that should last him the entire four years and more. He was delighted, to say the least. It was silver and it was shiny and it was all his. I got a teary-eyed thank you and a big hug when I gave him the keys. That was all I needed as a thank you.

I also upgraded Brandon's cell phone to something approximating a Blackberry which also went over very well. I expected him to keep in touch with his family, and that included his mother. He promised he would and I didn't have any reason to doubt him.

That, of course, initiated Candy's lobbying for a car as well. She had a couple of years to wait, but I knew I wouldn't escape having to get her something when the time came. This summer was going to push the limits of my budget, but considering all that had happened in the past few weeks, it was necessary.

Brandon had taken our divorce pretty hard and I realized he was closer to his mother than his sister was. He didn't show his affection that openly but it was there and it was felt by her and the rest of the family. Even Mrs. Ormstead recognized it and commented on it.

When Margaret Shadbolt had talked to the two children during the divorce proceedings, I never knew what it was about. It was in confidence and both she and the children kept that confidence. I guessed that it was to determine how they felt about what was happening and how they were reacting to this upheaval in their life. I'm sure part of it was to assure herself that they really did want to be with me rather than their mother.

When all was said and done, I was very pleased with the way Margaret had handled this difficult time in our lives. She was very straightforward and yet mindful of the sensitivities of all the parties. She wasn't out to wreak havoc with Andrea and spent a good deal of time making sure I was certain of my wants and needs. That it turned out better than we had hoped was just good luck, I suppose.


I was invited to meet Deb Penny's parents a few days later. They lived a short distance from us and I drove over after supper one Thursday.

"Hi, I'm Norm Tyler." I said to the man answering the door.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Lou Rampling. Come in and meet my sister, Kim Penny," he said with a welcoming smile.

Sister? This wasn't what I was expecting. I was about to ask when a tall, statuesque blonde woman entered the room. I'm not sure if my mouth was hanging open at the time, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

"Norm, this is my sister, Kim. Kim, Norm Tyler."

"Hi, Norm. Nice to meet you finally. I've heard a lot about you from Deb and Candy."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.