A New Begining
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2012 by Scorpionicus

The High Lord group materialized in a small, grassy clearing in a semi forested area somewhat away from the inhabited part of the planet. Medron of course had carried out the work of transporting Anna along with the rest of the group since she wasn't capable of doing that on her own yet, though she would gain that power in time. They all checked their surroundings using both their physical and spellcraft senses and they quickly discovered they were alone in their clearing.

Once they had established they were alone the group went to work on setting up their camp and items for this were much of what they had brought along in their backpacks. While Medron had the power to manipulate objects and could have helped with setting up the camp, the robot was assigned to keep watch and defend the camp site while the others worked. Tarps were spread out in the middle of the clearing and then they set up a tent into which they moved their packs inside the tent.

Mev reached inside his backpack and withdrew four blocks about the size and shape of bricks, though lighter in weight and white in color. Mev set one block in each corner of a square of an area large enough to enclose the entire camp and more. These brick-like blocks were generators for spellcraft wards, producing a customizable force field that would protect the camp. Not only were the wards impervious to any tool or weapon possessed by the inhabitants of the planet upon which they had just arrived but even the main batteries of the Antares herself did not have sufficient power to penetrate the force field power available from the blocks.

Not only were the ward blocks able to produce an impenetrable shield but they could also make the shield transparent, reflective, or even give the appearance that whatever was inside was not there, effectively rendering it invisible. Once the wards were activated it was no longer necessary for Medron to maintain its watch over the camp, though the robot continued to scan about to satisfy its curiosity about the planet upon which it had just arrived.

With the camp secure for the moment and the wards set to render it invisible to anyone who happened upon the clearing, everyone in the group went inside the tent they had set up. Mev pulled the frame of the fold door, attached it to the rear wall of the tent, and activated it. This opened the doorway into the pocket universe containing all of the rest of their supplies and equipment. With the storeroom open the group was able to get out whatever they needed for their comfort in the camp.

Actually, though, even though it looked like a camp at the moment it really wasn't, because the wards produced by the ward blocks extended under the tarps they had laid on the ground, lifting everything up off the ground slightly. So in reality the High Lords were in a completely enclosed space, with the warding force fields only allowing what they wished to enter the area it enclosed. Because of this the group set up all their living area outside the tent, the tent was simply to support, and conceal if necessary, the fold door to the pocket universe containing their storage room.

While from the outside their encampment was invisible from the inside the High Lords were still able to see their surroundings perfectly. The ward walls could be set to be either transparent or opaque to light from the outside and could even be set to sub-divide the interior space into rooms, though Mev and his group didn't feel the need to use that option. When the wards were set to be opaque then they could be made to appear as if the interior was within a wide range of different scenery, from various outdoor scenes to the interiors of buildings and space ships. The ward blocks provided the only home the High Lords needed, and was stronger than the strongest fortification.

Various items of furniture and bedding were brought out of the storage, mostly folding camp chairs and tables. The sleeping area was laid out next to the tent, with the ward generators the entire group could sleep outside every night without any problems because the warding force field could keep out rain or any other type of inclement weather if programmed to do so. Of course, except for Anna, the weather had little effect upon the group but the wards were just the first part of a more complex design which the High Lords would be building in the next few days.

With their living area set up Mev walked out of the camp area into the woods to collect deadwood for a camp fire. While they didn't need a fire for warmth or cooking there was still some sort of primal pleasure that came from sitting around a camp fire. The ward blocks were able to recognize Mev as someone allowed to pass freely through the force field so he was able to exit and re-enter the camp without any special interaction with the controllers in the ward blocks. Any of the others in the group, including Medron and Anna, could do the same, but no other living thing or physical material was allowed to pass in or out without being granted entry by one of the group.

Mev spent about half an hour wandering around the periphery of the camp, looking for deadwood and taking in the lay of the land. Of course even though he was outside the camp and for part of the time out of sight of it, he remained in telepathic communication with every other member of the group. While they had portable communicators for everyone in the group stashed away in the storeroom there was no need for them. As he wandered around gathering wood Mev also thought about their current situation and where they would go from here.

For the past several years since he had joined the space service Mev had made little use of his special abilities, preferring instead to hide them for the most part. Until the battle with the Morro battlecruisers only Kathleen had known he was anything other than an ordinary human spaceman, and even she only a small part of the truth. But with needs for the battle and events afterward everything had changed, taking him beyond the knowledge he had brought with him from far off lost Venda.

Visitations from beings such as Zesh were extremely rare and Mev knew of no case where any High Lord of Venda had ever been visited by such a being more than once. Yet Zesh had made an appearance to Mev not just once but twice in a fairly short period of time. And Mev's well developed precognitive power told him that they had not seen the last of Zesh, as well as other individuals similar to him.

The planet they were on now had reverted to a much lower level of scientific and technological knowledge and was in the process of regaining the knowledge that had been lost, with some local twists. In general the level of science and technology was similar to that of Earth in the 1930's, though certain martial arts and related philosophies were more in the mainstream here than had been the case on Earth. Since the martial arts were one of the possible routes to the power if taken to a high enough level that was the route taken by the three Mev's group was to find. If those three individuals were indeed on the cusp of becoming as the High Lords of Venda then they did indeed need to be removed from this society, which was not ready for such things.

Mev could already feel with his precognitive sense the three Zesh had spoken about were in fact on the planet and not far from where Mev now was. Tomorrow Mev would take several of the others into the inhabited areas nearby and see if they could find those they were to look for, though Zesh had stated they would find Mev and his group instead. Either way, it events would get started once Mev made his way to the town nearby tomorrow.

Leaving the planet was not going to be a problem, Zesh had been right about that as well. The ward blocks which now guarded the camp were only the first step in the process of constructing their unique own form of space ship. While the High Lords could travel for a significant distance through space using their spellcraft powers, and even further with the assistance of Medron, travel through space would be much easier and more comfortable with some sort of space ship. Mev had already been working on the problem for a considerable amount of time before Zesh put in his recent reappearance and those parts which remained to be built would not be any problem to make.

Mev returned to the camp bearing an armful of deadwood of various sizes. Mev could have used levitation to bring in a much larger load of wood but there was no need for so much, and Mev preferred to not allow any chance for anyone in the area to see anything unusual about him or the group. He dumped the load of wood near the spot he had selected for the fire to be used a little later when night fell.

All the women were relaxing now and were dressed the way they hadn't really had a chance to do on the ship. Anna and Zira were both completely nude and the human girl seemed to be even more into exhibitionistic display than usual for High Lord women. Since the ward blocks were also maintaining the temperature inside the ward field at a comfortable temperature the human girl didn't need to wear anything and she was taking full advantage of the opportunity. Anna and Zira were cuddled together even more closely than was their usual wont but they were careful to hide nothing from any of the others in the group.

As the sun began to dip toward the horizon the group began putting together a lazy evening meal. A folding table and chairs were set up and packs of field rations were brought out and heated, with everyone just eating from the retort pouches. There was little to clean up and they just left the table and chairs set up where they were for the next time they were needed, with the wards in place nothing would disturb them.

After the meal Mev laid the wood for a camp fire. Even though it wasn't really needed for any practical purpose somehow the High Lords still found it to be psychologically appealing. Despite the scale of knowledge and power at their command they were still living beings and sometimes still responded to the primal feelings of their ancestors.

With the fire lit the entire group gathered around and found comfortable places to sit. The High Lords were taking some time to relax and discuss what should be done for the next few days and what they should do when they meet the three people Zesh had spoken about. If there had been anyone else observing Mev and his group they would have thought they were all just sitting there since the conversation was carried out completely using the silent and faster telepathic communication everyone ion the group now shared.

"The ones we are looking for are close, I can sense them." Mev sent to the others.

"I can as well," came from Zira, quickly followed by the rest sending their agreement with this, except for Anna who was not able to do it yet. Because it had access to the same type of powers the robot Medron was able to join in the agreement.

"Tomorrow, Anna and Medron will remain here while the rest of us go and seek them," Mev continued.

"Why do I have to stay here, Mev?" Anna asked silently.

"We may have to use our powers to blend in to the population until we have found those we are seeking. Since you can't do that yet without help it is better that you stay here. Medron also would be conspicuous if it went with us," Mev replied telepathically.

"What if something happens to you?" Anna asked. She was feeling a little uneasy at being left alone on a strange planet; the others were able to sense this.

"Don't worry, Anna. We will be able to maintain our mental communication with you from wherever we go on this planet. And we can return instantly if we need to," Zira sent to the girl to reassure her. "And if we need you to come to us, Medron can bring you instantly, too."

"What about the people on this planet? What if they don't want us to take the people Zesh told us to take? Or are hostile for some other reason?" Anna asked.

"The people of this planet do not posses any weapons sufficiently powerful to overcome our shields. Don't worry Anna, they can't hurt us." Mev answered.

"OK, but still be careful and let Medron and I know if anything happens," Anna sent.

The High Lords spent a few more minutes communicating about their plans for the next day and then began preparations for going to bed. While a High Lord can go without sleep for many days if necessary they were more comfortable to follow the usual day-night cycle of waking and sleeping. With the wards up around the camp as well as Medron's presence (the robot of course never needed to sleep) there was no need for anyone in the High Lord camp to stand watch.

The next morning the group breakfasted on field rations again since they had not had the chance to obtain any other food yet. Mev, Zira, Sheila, and Kathleen made up backpacks of the things they needed to take with them on their trip into the nearby town. Mev buckled on his sword which was the only obvious weapon they were taking with them, though of course on this planet the High Lords had little need for weapons at all. But strangely, considering that the planet's inhabitants used repeating firearms, automobiles, and primitive aircraft, they still carried swords. Mev bringing his allowed him to blend in with the locals a little more.

The High Lords left the camp, walking through the force field generated by the ward blocks as if it didn't exist. The force field controllers contained sufficient intelligence to allow everyone in the group to enter and leave at will, anyone else would be blocked unless granted leave by one of the High Lord group.

They had camped about twenty kilometers from the nearest town of the planet's inhabitants and Mev and the others headed for there at a brisk walk. They could have traveled much faster without attracting too much attention but they held themselves to just a brisk walk. Mev's precognitive senses were telling him they would meet at least one of the people they were looking for before they actually reached the town, but it didn't reveal anything more than that. The High Lords could also sense some faint traces of the presence like themselves, which they knew came from those they were seeking, but that feel was diffuse and ill defined.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.